graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past » Staying Power
graphic
Post new topic   Reply to topic
graphic

graphic graphic
Crossie Post subject:



Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 10
Location: Germany

Crossie wrote:

As for "Can't get you out of my head", it has to be said that apart from its obvious worldwide commcercial success, it has won its authors (Rob Davis and Cathy Dennis) a prestigious Ivor Novello Award, plus it has been covered by artists like the Flaming Lips (serious and HIGHLY respected musicians, probably even by your standards Wink ), Coldplay, Garbage and Tori Amos (to name a few).


And before Brandy reminds me Wink , let me add that there's of course also a unique and worthwhile version of the song by the legendary "Purple Sex Heads". Laughing
Crossie
PostPosted:Wed Apr 19, 2006 15:00 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
carol7cat Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar


Acoustic Guitar
Joined: 12 Aug 2005
Posts: 110
Location: BEDFORDSHIRE

A voice of reason in the wilderness, brilliant well said Crossie!!
I just wish I had half of their royalties for that song!!
Just one question, who is the "Purple Sexheads" they sound fascinating?!!
PostPosted:Wed Apr 19, 2006 15:40 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
carol7cat Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar


Acoustic Guitar
Joined: 12 Aug 2005
Posts: 110
Location: BEDFORDSHIRE

[quote="James Towill"]
carol7cat wrote:
I shall certainly buy it!!!


Even if they release an album of Tibetan chants?


Now there's a thought!!!!!!
PostPosted:Wed Apr 19, 2006 15:47 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject:
Rythym Guitar


Rythym Guitar
Joined: 22 Sep 2004
Posts: 233
Location: East London

carol7cat wrote:
There are certain songs on albums that I don't personally like but I would not go on a public forum and start decrying them!!!


Exactly! Nor would I go on the artists official forum and do it.

Fine have an opinion, but in all honesty if I was in a band and my album was desecrated like that on my official site by my 'fans', I'm sorry but I would feel really hurt by it all, regardless of whether my fans thought I should know or not, and to be honest I would turn round and say that if it was that awful and if you didn't like it then take it back to where you got it from and get your money back.
PostPosted:Wed Apr 19, 2006 17:15 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar


Lead Guitar
Joined: 15 Oct 2004
Posts: 661
Location: Gahanna, Ohio USA

Shelley wrote:
carol7cat wrote:
There are certain songs on albums that I don't personally like but I would not go on a public forum and start decrying them!!!


Exactly! Nor would I go on the artists official forum and do it.

Fine have an opinion, but in all honesty if I was in a band and my album was desecrated like that on my official site by my 'fans', I'm sorry but I would feel really hurt by it all, regardless of whether my fans thought I should know or not, and to be honest I would turn round and say that if it was that awful and if you didn't like it then take it back to where you got it from and get your money back.


Can you actually do that in the UK?

If I tried taking an opened CD back to a store here in the US, telling the sales clerk that I wanted a refund because I didn't like the music, they'd laugh me out of the store.
PostPosted:Wed Apr 19, 2006 17:25 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject:
Rythym Guitar


Rythym Guitar
Joined: 22 Sep 2004
Posts: 233
Location: East London

SpartyScott wrote:
Shelley wrote:
carol7cat wrote:
There are certain songs on albums that I don't personally like but I would not go on a public forum and start decrying them!!!


Exactly! Nor would I go on the artists official forum and do it.

Fine have an opinion, but in all honesty if I was in a band and my album was desecrated like that on my official site by my 'fans', I'm sorry but I would feel really hurt by it all, regardless of whether my fans thought I should know or not, and to be honest I would turn round and say that if it was that awful and if you didn't like it then take it back to where you got it from and get your money back.


Can you actually do that in the UK?

If I tried taking an opened CD back to a store here in the US, telling the sales clerk that I wanted a refund because I didn't like the music, they'd laugh me out of the store.


I believe you can still do it, or you could get it swapped for something else of the same value. You could say it 'jumped' in the middle or someone brought it for you and didn't realised you didn't like it.
PostPosted:Wed Apr 19, 2006 17:27 pm

Last edited by Shelley on Wed Apr 19, 2006 17:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject:
Rythym Guitar


Rythym Guitar
Joined: 22 Sep 2004
Posts: 233
Location: East London

James Towill wrote:
This is nothing personal against the Hollies, but I think if you just buy an album because it is a certain artist without any notion of what is on it then you are on a hiding to nothing.


I actually did buy Staying Power only because Peter was on it, with only the tiny bit of notion of what was going to be on it, going by what I heard at the concerts, and I have not regretted it, but then again I do like that kind of music.

James Towill wrote:
Take Oasis, for example. Squillion-selling wonderful album in the shape of 'What's The Story (Morning Glory)?' and I wonder how many people bought the follow-up 'Be Here Now', got it home, played it and thought 'what pap!'.


I could say right now that I thought Oasis and their songs were total crap, and they were only famous because they attracted attention to themselves by fighting and swearing etc. in public, but I won't Wink
PostPosted:Wed Apr 19, 2006 17:33 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject:
Rythym Guitar


Rythym Guitar
Joined: 22 Sep 2004
Posts: 233
Location: East London

James Towill wrote:
Maybe they could do a live album then we wouldn't have such discord?! Smile


I'd love to have a live album of the recent concerts.
PostPosted:Wed Apr 19, 2006 17:38 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar


Lead Guitar
Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 928
Location: Dunfermline, Fife

[quote="Shelley"]
James Towill wrote:
I could say right now that I thought Oasis and their songs were total crap, and they were only famous because they attracted attention to themselves by fighting and swearing etc. in public, but I won't Wink


Yes, as individuals they are basically (insert sweary word) but they did write some very good tunes and were at the spearhead of the 'Britpop' sensation of the mid-90's which brought many '60's acts back into the limelight, so all was not lost.

_________________
The Last Wind... don't eat curries late at night
PostPosted:Wed Apr 19, 2006 18:16 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
carol7cat Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar


Acoustic Guitar
Joined: 12 Aug 2005
Posts: 110
Location: BEDFORDSHIRE

I would prefer the tibetan chants myself!!!!
Oh well, maybe I will settle for some classical instead!!!
PostPosted:Wed Apr 19, 2006 19:54 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar


Lead Guitar
Joined: 17 Jan 2004
Posts: 984
Location: Melbourne Australia

Hi all,
We can go on forever about the new album, we like this or don't like that.
Let's be honest we are not going to like all the Hollies Albums over the past 40 years, there are some I'd never play again ond others all the time. I think the best thing is the Hollies have gone back into the recording studio and made this album, plus that gives up hope for a second one with Peter singing lead.
I agree with Shelley a live album would be brilliant, but I'm just happy with what ever comes out, it took over 20 years for a new studio album and lets hope the wait is not the same till another one.
What goes round got mixed reviews too, I liked most of that album. Sadly the new Album is not in stores here, I always have a look.
Bye all,
Anthony

_________________
Every member of the Hollies has played his part, 50 great years and still going.
http://www.myspace.com/pinocchioman visit me and say hi
PostPosted:Sun Apr 23, 2006 0:38 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
KingRickfors Post subject:



Joined: 18 Apr 2006
Posts: 17
Location: UK

Crossie wrote:
Quote:
the Hollies obviously were trying to make a commercial record, one that they thought would / could produce a hit single or two. Apparently they weren't capable of coming up with songs of their own to suit that need, so what's wrong with turning to songwriters who had recently proven that they can write commercially successful songs ???


..... I think this paragraph sums up exactly where the Hollies are going wrong ..... to me, this is exactly what they shouldn't be doing .... the Hollies were a 60's and (occasionally) 70's pop band and for a long time now they should've moved out of this area of music altogether and progressed into the more serious "album band (perhaps AOR)" market where there is no need for the 'hit' single. They really shouldn't be trying to compete with boy-bands, Kylie etc, as they won't succeed, whereas with the right material they could, with their undoubted talent, become a very successful album band.
After all, they were moving nicely in this progressive direction in the early 70's starting with Confessions, Distant Light, Romany and Out On The Road.
The Hollies are serious musicians who can play the music on Staying Power with their eyes closed ...... they really should be stretched further by the material that they chose, otherwise many of us shall just assume that they are simply just going through the motions! IMHO of course !

PS I better not mention Kylie or i'll be accused of making unjustified criticisms ...... nice looking girl tho' ......
PostPosted:Sun Apr 23, 2006 0:52 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar


Lead Guitar
Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 773
Location: Los Angeles

KingRickfors wrote:
Crossie wrote:
Quote:
the Hollies obviously were trying to make a commercial record, one that they thought would / could produce a hit single or two. Apparently they weren't capable of coming up with songs of their own to suit that need, so what's wrong with turning to songwriters who had recently proven that they can write commercially successful songs ???


..... I think this paragraph sums up exactly where the Hollies are going wrong ..... to me, this is exactly what they shouldn't be doing .... the Hollies were a 60's and (occasionally) 70's pop band and for a long time now they should've moved out of this area of music altogether and progressed into the more serious "album band (perhaps AOR)" market where there is no need for the 'hit' single. They really shouldn't be trying to compete with boy-bands, Kylie etc, as they won't succeed, whereas with the right material they could, with their undoubted talent, become a very successful album band.
After all, they were moving nicely in this progressive direction in the early 70's starting with Confessions, Distant Light, Romany and Out On The Road.
The Hollies are serious musicians who can play the music on Staying Power with their eyes closed ...... they really should be stretched further by the material that they chose, otherwise many of us shall just assume that they are simply just going through the motions! IMHO of course !

PS I better not mention Kylie or i'll be accused of making unjustified criticisms ...... nice looking girl tho' ......


Exactly. That's why the band made a fatal mistake by canning Rickfors. They were going in an album direction, getting more FM radio airplay than they'd ever gotten. It was a perfect opportunity for them to stretch and grow musically, which they achieved with the two albums they made with Rickfors. It was also a way for them to get beyond their "oldies" image, something they have never been able to do with Clarke around. They blew it by reinstating Clarke, even though the '74 Hollies album was excellent, everything after that suffered from a lack of direction.
PostPosted:Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:07 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar


Lead Guitar
Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 928
Location: Dunfermline, Fife

Much although they did pack Rickfors off, I'm glad that Alllan recorded again with the band. I would say that after Another Night, the band did go in a pretty much mixed direction... Possibly, the experience with Rickfors, which must have made everyone connected with the band work a bit more and consider their situation, did benefit the music releases at the time.

_________________
The Last Wind... don't eat curries late at night
PostPosted:Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:44 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar


Lead Guitar
Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 773
Location: Los Angeles

Shelley wrote:
James Towill wrote:
This is nothing personal against the Hollies, but I think if you just buy an album because it is a certain artist without any notion of what is on it then you are on a hiding to nothing.


I actually did buy Staying Power only because Peter was on it, with only the tiny bit of notion of what was going to be on it, going by what I heard at the concerts, and I have not regretted it, but then again I do like that kind of music.

James Towill wrote:
Take Oasis, for example. Squillion-selling wonderful album in the shape of 'What's The Story (Morning Glory)?' and I wonder how many people bought the follow-up 'Be Here Now', got it home, played it and thought 'what pap!'.


I could say right now that I thought Oasis and their songs were total crap, and they were only famous because they attracted attention to themselves by fighting and swearing etc. in public, but I won't Wink


Oasis, as George Harrison was quoted as saying, are "rubbish". They are such complete a$#es that it spoils whatever value their music might have. I've seen them on the telly and thought the singer was very smug, standing there with his hands behind his back. That's stage presence?
PostPosted:Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:57 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
Post new topic   Reply to topic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past
graphic
   
graphic

graphic graphic
Display posts from previous:   
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Page 4 of 7
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
graphic graphic


KDM2 template v1.0.2 © jasidog.com
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
The time now is Thu May 24, 2018 12:00 pm. All times are GMT