graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » A Moment Of Silence?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject: A Moment Of Silence?
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Is it safe to say there should now be a moment of silence for "Staying Power"? Since EMI has balked at promoting it and it is nowhere to be found in the charts, perhaps now is the proper time to grieve. Hey, I even searched for the album on the BBC Radio 2 website only to come up with the following.....

Albums:
Staying Power: Dana Gillespie
Staying Power: Tutu Jones
Staying Power: Barry White

And to think that "So Damn Beautiful" came so close to being a chart-worthy single. Oh how the mighty have fallen...... Crying or Very sad
PostPosted:Wed Mar 22, 2006 13:37 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The only apparent salvation would be a USA release, with one of the tracks (I haven't heard it yet so I can't say which one) selected as a radio single. It gets airplay and becomes popular, to the point that the band HAS to tour America, because it's the only place where they've got a hit. Sound farfetched? Journey back to 1972. That's what happened with "Long Cool Woman" and the "Distant Light" LP. I can dream, can't I?
PostPosted:Wed Mar 22, 2006 16:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I wouldn't hold your breath, Dennis Very Happy

PostPosted:Wed Mar 22, 2006 16:59 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
I wouldn't hold your breath, Dennis Very Happy

I did mention a "dream", didn't I?
PostPosted:Wed Mar 22, 2006 17:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Lucky I got my copy of the album from Amazon, still no sign in the shops here in Australia.
Maybe it's too long between studio albums, 23 years, the public has just lost interest. The last album was like the big reunion album with Graham, this one sadly doesn't have the same pulling power. It's really an album just for the fans.
We have a TV show called rage and a mate said if they had a new video clip then I might find it being played there, not much hope of that.

PostPosted:Wed Mar 22, 2006 21:59 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Anthony wrote:
Lucky I got my copy of the album from Amazon, still no sign in the shops here in Australia.
Maybe it's too long between studio albums, 23 years, the public has just lost interest. The last album was like the big reunion album with Graham, this one sadly doesn't have the same pulling power. It's really an album just for the fans.
We have a TV show called rage and a mate said if they had a new video clip then I might find it being played there, not much hope of that.

I agree with you 100%.

Even the last new album in 1983 had trouble being taken serioiusly by the public, at least in the U.S. Without Graham Nash's presense and whole nostalgia-reunion appeal, even What Goes Around would have been ignored (and, you may recall, it had been three long years since the previous release of the Buddy Holly tribute LP!).

In 2006, the Hollies seem to me to be a nostalgia act -- not that there's anything wrong with that. It's tough for any long-established group to lose their lead singer, and the Hollies without Allan Clarke are a tough sell. They're soldiering on and pleasing their fans, and maybe we shouldn't ask more of them than that -- I certainly don't expect them to make an impact on the charts, for goodness sake!
PostPosted:Wed Mar 22, 2006 22:24 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Hope2005 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I agree that 'Staying Power' has been a flop thanks to EMI doing NOTHING TO PROMOTE IT no wounder the music industry is in such a mess when the labels are run by idiots. This will probably detour The Hollies from doing another album which would be tragic.

PostPosted:Sat Mar 25, 2006 17:31 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Funny now that radio stations just don't want to play anything new by older bands etc. I heard a couple of years ago the most stations in the UK didn't play anything new from Cliff Richard, and he still got a number 1 with Millennium Prayer.
To be honest what hope did the Hollies have when you have all these Pop idol programmes on Telly. They get young kids to vote for the next big pop sensation, well for the next 6 months anyway.
EMI are looking for the big market, the good thing is they did take on the Hollies and make this new album. If they wanted EMI could do a promo for Staying Power for Mothers day, play a few bits of old songs and say the Hollies are back with a brand new album of beautiful ramantic songs.

PostPosted:Fri Apr 07, 2006 22:31 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Anthony wrote:
If they wanted EMI could do a promo for Staying Power for Mothers day, play a few bits of old songs and say the Hollies are back with a brand new album of beautiful ramantic songs.

Now there's a novel idea.....Mother's Day. After all, at the end of the day, aren't ALL mothers "So Damn Beautiful"? C'mon EMI, get with the program.
PostPosted:Sat Apr 08, 2006 16:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Anthony wrote:
Funny now that radio stations just don't want to play anything new by older bands etc. I heard a couple of years ago the most stations in the UK didn't play anything new from Cliff Richard, and he still got a number 1 with Millennium Prayer.
To be honest what hope did the Hollies have when you have all these Pop idol programmes on Telly. They get young kids to vote for the next big pop sensation, well for the next 6 months anyway.
EMI are looking for the big market, the good thing is they did take on the Hollies and make this new album. If they wanted EMI could do a promo for Staying Power for Mothers day, play a few bits of old songs and say the Hollies are back with a brand new album of beautiful ramantic songs.

So true, even for not-so-older bands from the '80s such as Duran Duran and Tears For Fears. Established acts simply must rely on their fan bases to sustain themselves.
PostPosted:Sat Apr 08, 2006 16:26 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1