The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » Appearance after the gigs
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject: Appearance after the gigs
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi all

I've been chatting to one of the other forum members and I'd love to know what you all think of this.

A lot of bands who have been around for as many or nearly as many years as the Hollies, appear in the foyer of the venue they are appearing in after the show, giving the fans an opportunity to meet and chat with them in comfort instead of having them waiting outside the stage door in the cold and/or wet weather. Sad

I think the Hollies should follow the lead of the others and give their faithful fans the same opportunity to do the same. Very Happy It would be a really nice gesture from them to all the people who've taken the time and effort to get to the gig. Rolling Eyes I know we all go along to see them willingly but don't you think it would be nice if the Hollies did the same?

They should know that the majority of their fans are not "teenyboppers" so they won't be mobbed. Shocked Heaven forbid we would wish to harm our idols...We all love them and only want to say hello.... and meet our idols...

Your thoughts on this one please? Question Come on guys, give the fans an extra treat in future... a lot of us can't manage to the Hollies conventions, not because we love you any less but circumstances don't allow it. Cool

Shells
The Queen of Scottish Knits
xxx
PostPosted:Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:38 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I remember when the Searchers performed in Atlantic City, USA a few years ago. Not only did they put on a great show but they also took the time to mingle with the fans afterwards(inside the venue). All the guys were extremely approachable and they ensured that everyone who wanted a photo or autograph got one.
PostPosted:Tue Feb 17, 2004 20:20 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Do you think the Hollies will listen to us then? Hey Rob! Why don't you put this suggestion to the lads...PLEASE???? Very Happy

Shells
xxx
PostPosted:Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:24 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Madeleine Post subject: Appearances after the gigs

Hi!
I think that would be a great idea. Very Happy My SECOND fave band, Smokie, do this after every gig and it's much appreciated by the fans. However, I know from experience that some of our boys have disappeared before you can make it round to the stage door. Crying or Very sad As you say we can't all make it to the conventions, but some of us spend a fortune on concert tickets, travel and overnight accommodation in order to see The Hollies. Come on lads,and we'll love you even more! Laughing

Cheers,

Madeleine
Liverpool.
PostPosted:Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:22 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
chig Post subject: appearance after the gigs
Banjo

Banjo

I can think of a few reasons why the band wouldn't meet fans after a show.

Anybody who has been to a convention will tell you that the band DO get mobbed. They have tried to organise it so that the fans sit at their tables and the band mingle around, but as soon as they show, almost everyone rushes to them and they are stuck in the same place for an hour and a half. This is in a large room with only about 300 fans present, can you imagine the chaos in a theatre with up to 1000 fans in the foyer?

Also, I wouldn't imagine the theatre management would like to keep the theatres open for another hour or so after a show, most of the staff want to get home as soon as possible. There would then be a cost implication, paying overtime to the staff which I am sure they would charge to the band and would probably increase the price of tickets.

Finally, the band usually return home after a gig to their families and most days have to travel a considerable distance to the next venue.

While I am sure the band appreciate all the loyalty from their fans, I think the conventions are the proper place to meet them and why the conventions have been held in different locations around the country.

Chig

PostPosted:Wed Feb 18, 2004 13:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
phoobingcamel Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I agree with Chig. I think it's a nice idea in theory but just wouldn't work in practice
PostPosted:Wed Feb 18, 2004 15:52 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Chig

Thanks for that view.... I know what you mean, but there are loads of fans that will never get to the conventions as they are never held in their areas.... yes maybe they get mobbed at the conventions but spare a thought for others who, through location, health and of course the sheer cost of getting away for an overnight who just can't get to the conventions... I know there are quite a few fans who manage to got to a lot of the gigs and go to the convention but I'm willing to be that for every one fan that does that there are many who can't do the same.

Maybe it's nice to dream, but pray tell me how many other bands can appear in the foyer? Are you saying that they aren't as popular as the Hollies?

Food for thought I think Very Happy

Shells
xxx
PostPosted:Wed Feb 18, 2004 16:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes Chig, I think you'll find the real reason the band get mobbed at conventions is that that is the very reason people go to conventions Exclamation To have the opportunity of meeting the band. Not everyone who goes to a concert has the desire to meet the band, so they wouldn't actually be overwhelmed. On 1st Novemver the Newcastle Opera House was filled to capacity (1100) people and yet Lindisfarne found no difficulty sitting benhind a table to say hello (or goodbye as it was in this case) AND they came into the bar afterwards and said hello to the folks in there as well. They spared no effort. The hollies could easily stand behind the merchandise stall and sign autographs. That way an orderly Q would be formed and some additional merchandise sold as well Exclamation This sort of practice dosen't seem to hold up staff at other venues who are cleaning up at the time and where the bar isn't even open at the end. We're not exactly asking for a convention after a show. Just the chance to say hello as so many other bands have no problem giving their fans the opportunity of doing.
GordonJ
PostPosted:Wed Feb 18, 2004 17:46 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
chig Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Hi Shells,

I appreciate that not all fans are able to get to the conventions, but the band do try to locate them around the country. They are limited to theatres that can accomodate them on the dates of the tour and then have to find one that is suitable to hold a convention. Many fans travel a long way to see them - a lot come over from Europe, USA & Australia. I know there are many people who for one reason or another can't travel a long way but unfortunately, that isn't the bands fault and they can't be expected to visit every town or city. I understand your personal feelings but you must understand that the band can't possibly do what each individual fan wants.

I don't know what other bands do to arrange to meet the fans in the foyer, perhaps they don't have families to go to after the show, and yes, perhaps they are not as popular as The Hollies. I am only speaking from the experience of seeing them mobbed at conventions. I remember the first one in Brighton when Tony was pressed up against a wall surrounded by fans for over an hour before somebody tried to free him. I would imagine that it felt very uncomfortable and certainly not something he'd like to repeat every night after performing for two and a half hours.

Chig

PostPosted:Wed Feb 18, 2004 17:52 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

It would be nice if the Hollies did hang around longer, but from what I've seen they do spend some time with fans after the show and are happy to smile for a few photos and a chat. I think you just have to be lucky to catch them before they go.

PostPosted:Wed Feb 18, 2004 20:44 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Girloutside Post subject: After show chat

Hi

Just to say, I know it is very nice to be able to catch the guys after the show. But you have to remember there is no obligation for them to meet fans - once they've done their 2 1/2 hours up on stage, you've had your money's worth. I'm not sure all of you realise how tiring the shows are and most of the guys have long drives home afterwards. I think it's great that there is a regular convention, but feel sometimes they could be organised a bit better. Not all bands do this and they do try and hold them in different areas of the country.

Helen
PostPosted:Wed Feb 18, 2004 20:59 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

That's fair enough Helen, on the times they are driving home, but surely in most cases it's a short drive or even walk to a hotel.
GordonJ
PostPosted:Wed Feb 18, 2004 21:49 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi All Exclamation

It would be nice if the boys get to meet their fans and going by what I've seen they do meet and chat to their fans. After their show in Sydney in 2001 they the boys did hang around for and while and I was one of the lucky ones who got to meet them. So therefore they do have some time for their fans.

All The Best

Susie

Razz Very Happy
PostPosted:Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:11 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Rob And Everyone Exclamation

I had this thought, if the Hollies are too tired or don't have time to meet their fans after the show why don't they try and meet a few people before they go on stage. Confused Like I said, it's only a thought I had.

All The Best

Susie

Laughing Rolling Eyes
PostPosted:Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:09 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Girloutside Post subject:

Gordon.

I think you'll find that often most of the band actually prefer to drive home after shows if they can. Even if they are in a hotel, they still need to get back for their sleep, particularly if there are 4 or 5 shows booked in a row, as is often the case. They all have a lot to think about besides the performance. They arrange their own travel and there is a sound check before every show. However if you are able to catch them at the door before or after, they always make time to chat and are always polite. Carl has always been brilliant with his fans and even on last years tour always made time to stop, despite having recently undergone a major operation and needing his sleep more than ever!

I think it's a little unfair to expect any more than they already give.

Helen
PostPosted:Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:50 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Page 1 of 3