graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Record Collector April Edition - Review of 'Staying Power'
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: Record Collector April Edition - Review of 'Staying Power'
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

A three-star review of the album which pretty much hits the spot on what it has to say. What is the most interesting (and most controversial for me!) is that it quotes Bobby Elliott as having said that it is the 'best studio album' in the Hollies catalogue! When on earth did he say this? Shocked It's funny how at times what a musician thinks is wonderful is not necessarily an opinion shared with the listener and vice-versa.

PostPosted:Sun Mar 19, 2006 19:51 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Since it is the first studio album in over 2 decades, maybe Elliot doesn't remember how good some of the other albums are. Rolling Eyes After all, he only played on them. I'm sure he doesn't listen to them on his spare time. Remember, this is the cat who would prefer to forget the Rickfors era, one of the most interesting and creative times for the group. Take anything Bobby Elliot says with a grain of salt.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:57 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yes, the whole comment about forgetting the Rickfors era is unforgiveable! Does anyone know the source of the Staying Power comment?

PostPosted:Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:47 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Putting aside the Elliott comment for just one moment, does anyone have any idea how the new album is doing chartwise? If it's one of the "best" Hollies studio albums in a longtime than perhaps we'll see it make the charts.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:48 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject: Record Collector April Edition - Review of 'Staying Power'
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

People I have never heard of are getting all sorts of promotion.

Where's the Hollies promotion?
PostPosted:Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:57 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Best album ever, well it has some brilliant stuff to beat. Really what else can Bobby say, "I don't think it's as good as our 1974 Album", he really has to say it.
It's doesn't have the classic Hollies sound, it's very different. It's a very good album, has some nice songs, but it's not the best ever. I think if they wrote some of the songs they would have got a bit more credit. Pity Tony Hicks doesn't seem to write anymore, his songs are equal to any thing on the album.
The only thing bad I can say is the album seems to be all at the same level, the Hollies used to do great rock'n'roll, it sort of needed more light and shade I felt.
A live album is needed next, we need to connect this line up with all the great songs from the History of the band plus these new numbers.
Lets be honest I can imagine the guys are sick of singing Carrie Anne, Bus Stop etc and it must be great to have new songs to sing and play.
Live album and a DVD is needed soon, we can only wish.
Bye,
Anthony

PostPosted:Mon Mar 20, 2006 13:40 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject: Re: Record Collector April Edition - Review of 'Staying Powe
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Shelley wrote:

Hi Shelley,
Hey what's new, the Hollies don't believe in promotion, that's why sadly when you say the name Hollies people ask who, then you mention a few songs then they say "Oh so they were the Hollies"
Bye,
Anthony

PostPosted:Mon Mar 20, 2006 13:44 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject: Re: Record Collector April Edition - Review of 'Staying Powe
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Shelley wrote:

What if anything is the Jimmy Smith Agency's involvement in all this promotion stuff? Do they have any say in the matter or does it all fall on the shoulders of the "powers to be" at EMI? Can the Hollies themselves raise a voice to EMI to help jumpstart a "Staying Power" promotion campaign? These are the questions that continually keep rolling around in my head. If EMI is so reluctant to promote the band, why didn't they express that feeling upfront?
PostPosted:Mon Mar 20, 2006 16:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject: Itīs not fun
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Record Collector is a polite, english magazine giving the album three stars. Every swedish newspaper that has reviewed Staying power has killed it by saying that the band should have stopped 20 years ago, that itīs a "dead album", etc. Hollies are also compared to Westlife, but not as a good comparison.... The swedish counterpart to the BBC, Sveriges Radio, has put all itīs tumbs down, down....

Itīs not so fun being a Hollie-fan at the moment!

Personally I really love some of the melodies but the production and arrangements arenīt good enough (sorry Ray and Ian). Itīs too much a "computer-work" without the highpressure feeling that the boys can achive on stage. For example Suspended animation could have been a big summer-hit with a proper arrangement/production. but now it misses the tempo and a possible carribean atmosphere. The extras arenīt there..

Damn Beautiful is a wonderful melody but the production is without the nerve that could have made this song to a superhit. One song that really has worked out fine is Let love pass. Just wonderful, but not a commercial hitsong. (Can you imagine the Hollies doing an acapella-single where violins will enter after 30 seconds, then Let love pass is worth a try).

Sorry, but maybe my expectations were higher than the result. So why should EMI bother to promote the album when it, at itīs best, is given three stars?

I really hope that the boys donīt give up. We want more, īcause The Hollies are so Damned Good (and beautiful)!!

My idea: record a new single with a better verison of Damned Beautiful (not so extremely soft). Or why not a carribean version of Suspended animation with a lot of ding-ading-aling!! A reminder of Carrie Anne.....

Hard words but Iīm still a genuine Hollie-fan! I Donīt give up so easily...
PostPosted:Mon Mar 20, 2006 18:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: Record Collector April Edition - Review of 'Staying Powe
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Anthony wrote:
Shelley wrote:

Hi Shelley,
Hey what's new, the Hollies don't believe in promotion, that's why sadly when you say the name Hollies people ask who, then you mention a few songs then they say "Oh so they were the Hollies"
Bye,
Anthony

The Hollies should be mentioned in the same breath with The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, and The Who, and the band only has itself to blame if it's not. They were never properly promoted, especially in the US. I've never heard anything about why their management never got The Hollies on The Ed Sullivan Show. A high-profile show like that would have been great exposure. And later, in 1974, there was no US tour for "The Air That I Breathe" and the great album it's on. Another mistake.
PostPosted:Tue Mar 21, 2006 0:49 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
davidm Post subject: Reviews

Record Collector - 3 stars
Mojo - 2 stars
Uncut - 2 stars

There were disappointing reviews from all three of these magazines, although I find it difficult to disagree with them. Has anyone seen any other reviews and were they any more favourable?
PostPosted:Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:28 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
carol7cat Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Fiirstly I have emailed EMI to ask why people such as David Essex, The Carpenters were given extensive advertising by Tesco for Mothers Day.
Surely this album would have been an ideal present!!
I am waiting a reply, well theres a surprise!!!
Secondly please judge the album on its own merits, and support the guys by getting their name out there!
No one is denying the outstanding contributions made by previous members, but we have to move on and live for today!!
I hope this tour goes from strength to strength and they are around for many years to come!!
PostPosted:Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:27 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: Re: Reviews
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

davidm wrote:
Record Collector - 3 stars
Mojo - 2 stars
Uncut - 2 stars

There were disappointing reviews from all three of these magazines, although I find it difficult to disagree with them. Has anyone seen any other reviews and were they any more favourable?

There's been very little mentioned anywhere, and accordingly no chart placing that I can find. Whilst other posters might mention that people should get the band's name out there, there are people paid handsomely to do such jobs, so why should fans of a band have to do it?

There's also been relatively few reviews on this site, so what are the thoughts of those who have bought it?

PostPosted:Tue Mar 21, 2006 16:23 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
carol7cat Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

That is exactly why I have tried to put EMI on the spot!!
However as they say one man does not maketh a mountain, so if a few more of us approached EMI in a similar vein, they may just present us with some sort of explanation!!!!.
After all fans support a band through good times and bad, trying to be as fair as possible.

I think they would agree "Where is a band without loyal fans"?
PostPosted:Tue Mar 21, 2006 16:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yes, but it seems that the album hasn't quite hit the spots it could have. It would seem that the attempt to produce a slick modern-sounding record has backfired a little. Question

PostPosted:Tue Mar 21, 2006 16:51 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2