graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » John Miles
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
KP Post subject: John Miles
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

As I was writing a review as requested by Rob, I was mentioning lead singers and this reminded me of a rather unusual concert at Doncaster Dome - I guess it was around 1996 but my memory is not great. As I approached the hall, there were notices on the walls saying that Allan would not be appearing with the group tonight and his place would be taken by John Miles. The Hollies without Allan - unthinkable. Anyway, despite having only a couple of days rehearsals, I remember yet again the lads pulled it off. The other members chipped in with some lead vocals, and John tried to remember all the words, but by the end, I think everyone was really glad the concert had gone ahead.

I think John only stood in for a handful of concerts - anyone else remember them?

I can't quite remember if it was the same concert, but also at the Doncaster Dome, we had the unusual occurence of a fire alarm during the interval!
PostPosted:Mon Mar 13, 2006 18:53 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

Yes, John Miles stood in for Allan for three shows that I remember very well back in March, 1999.

I had the call one night that this was about to happen and that the words to the songs on the set list were needed. I spent many hours faxing and emailing them off to the people who needed them for the gig in Skegness the following night.

We all turned up early at Skegness and the band went in to a dressing room rehearsal as various words and arrangements were worked out.

John was the ultimate professional in every sense and soon began to really get to grips with the songs.

That night was filled with excitement and intrepidation as the band took to the stage. A music stand was used to give John some assistance with words as he rattled through the songs.

Tony, Alan Coates, Ray Stiles and Ian Parker all took more of a roll in the singing of some songs and even solos.

The gig at Skegness went down well and without too many hitches and the audience had a good night.

The next night it was on to Leicester where, after some more rehearsal time, the performance was slightly more relaxed and better.

For the third night it was Doncaster Dome and boy, what a night. This show was one of the highlights of the whole tour.

Now settled in and without the use of the music stand, John gave a magnificent performance and the band as a whole was on top form and enjoying every minute of it.

The Hollies were in a very difficult situation the night before a week of gigs and they took the most difficult and bravest of decisions not to cancel the shows.

I know many people have told me that they were glad that this decision had been taken at the time and that they thoroughly enjoyed the shows which are now another legendary point in The Hollies illustrious career.

You can get to a couple of reviews from the shows by visiting any tourpage. See Here

Here is a pic of John and me outside the dome after a great night.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Mon Mar 13, 2006 22:12 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1