graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » The Story Behind the recording of Long Cool Woman
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Otis Robb Post subject: The Story Behind the recording of Long Cool Woman
Banjo

Banjo

Besides one of its co-writers being from the Nashville area (actually Brentwood). This supposedly was the last track recorded for the Distant Light Album. Interestingly so, As many you may know, had no signature Hollies bv's on it either. In fact the original idea was to NOT have backing vocals on the track. From What I was told, the rest of the group was NOT even the studio while Allan laid down his vocal parts. Little did he know that this would be a big seller here in the U.S. Nothing heavy...probably most of you know this already anyway, but have never seen this posted...so....till the next

PostPosted:Wed Oct 13, 2004 15:13 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject: Re: The Story Behind the recording of Long Cool Woman
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I think this is pretty much common knowledge. Didn't he say something like "As far as I'm concerned it's an Allan Clarke record not The Hollies"

Micheal
PostPosted:Wed Oct 13, 2004 19:47 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Otis Robb Post subject: Common knowlege?
Banjo

Banjo

Maybe for the diehard fans of the group but not everyone who has heard the song. I posted that mainly because there are some 'lurkers' who dont post and are casual listeners and just 'basically' know the song and thats it. Just thought it would be a fun fact to mention

PostPosted:Thu Oct 14, 2004 16:37 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Ro-Robert Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Thanx Otis!

I was born in 1969 and everything that happened in the sixties and seventies is not 'common knowledge' to me. The more information the better. Where else can I get it? Isn't this a reason for this forum? To discuss and share information?
Any more stories?
Especially about Long Cool Woman. It's my favourite Hollies' song.

Ro-Robert
PostPosted:Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:22 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

"Long Cool Woman" has, from what I've heard, at least 3 members of the band playing on it. Terry was not present, I know that much. So it can hardly be called an "Allan Clarke track". It is far better than anything he has released as a solo. I think its chart success, especially in the US and Canada, where it went to No. 1, is proof of that. The only Allan Clarke solo single that did anything chartwise was "(I Will Be Your) Shadow in the Street", in 1976, which mid-charted in the US.
PostPosted:Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:04 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Dennis wrote:
"Long Cool Woman" has, from what I've heard, at least 3 members of the band playing on it. Terry was not present, I know that much. So it can hardly be called an "Allan Clarke track". It is far better than anything he has released as a solo. I think its chart success, especially in the US and Canada, where it went to No. 1, is proof of that. The only Allan Clarke solo single that did anything chartwise was "(I Will Be Your) Shadow in the Street", in 1976, which mid-charted in the US.

I recall band members saying that they never bothered putting harmonies on it as it was only considered an album track. If they'd planned it as a single then it probably would have had harmonies. Interestingly, when I saw the group in 1999 the song DID have harmonies in places!

Peter

PostPosted:Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:12 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
speedwaybloke Post subject: Long Cool Woman Controversy
Banjo

Banjo

One story I heard (or perhaps read) about Long Cool Woman was that Allan Clarke intended this as one of his solo releases, not a Hollies release. There were other unspecified members of the band on the recording so after some frank and meaningful discussions it was included on Distant Light. The fallout from this dispute contributed to Clarke's leaving the band.

Anyway that's what I remember. Has anybody else heard about this?
PostPosted:Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:01 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: Long Cool Woman Controversy
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

speedwaybloke wrote:
One story I heard (or perhaps read) about Long Cool Woman was that Allan Clarke intended this as one of his solo releases, not a Hollies release. There were other unspecified members of the band on the recording so after some frank and meaningful discussions it was included on Distant Light. The fallout from this dispute contributed to Clarke's leaving the band.

Anyway that's what I remember. Has anybody else heard about this?

What I read was that the band was going over new contracts with Polydor and Clarke casually mentioned he wanted to do a solo album. The rest of the band had a meeting and came back, telling Clarke he had to either record with the band or without; he couldn't do both. So Clarke chose the latter. It was purely his decision. It had nothing to do with "Long Cool Woman" or any other track. This event took place after the recording of "Distant Light".
PostPosted:Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:14 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Otis Robb Post subject: Just to clarify
Banjo

Banjo

and yeah its been some time too...when I stated that the others werent on the song...it was referring to the 'vocals department' It was the last track recorded for
'Distant Light' that was considered a throwaway by some of the band. And as one post stated, really not singles material!

PostPosted:Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:20 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1