graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Staying Power
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gasoline Alley Bred Post subject:

It will be interesting to see how The Hollies do in comparison with another of the '60s giants'.

Ray Davies of The Kinks releases his new solo album 'Other People's Lives' on the same day as 'Staying Power'.

I for one am buying both, having seen both The Hollies and Ray Davies in concert several times over the past few years, they both are excellent.

Will either of them see the UK charts? The Hollies last 'new' album to chart was in 1974, the last 'new' Kinks album to chart was even further back in 1967!!

My money is on Ray Davies outselling The Hollies...

PostPosted:Sun Feb 19, 2006 17:56 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

On Amazon.co.uk Ray Davies album is listed on Nr. 26 and on Amazon.de it's on 27 so this album really could chart. The Hollies are 230 on the Amazon.co.uk list.
PostPosted:Sun Feb 19, 2006 21:23 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic

Not looking too promising then for The Hollies, but they don't seem to have been reviewed in the major music magazines yet, which can't help (unless they give bad reviews).

Ray Davies has had a few major features (cover of Mojo magazine this month) and generally good reviews (4 out of 5). The Hollies? A plug on an oldies radio station for London, (or online).

I don't think Ray Davies has made the Radio 2 playlist either...

PostPosted:Sun Feb 19, 2006 23:32 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic

Sorry, just checked and Ray Davies' album is on Radio 2's 'C' list.

PostPosted:Sun Feb 19, 2006 23:45 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Mikey Post subject:

Get those requests in to your local stations guys, let them know that The Hollies are still out there and producing great music. I got them a little mention on BBC Radio Lancashire last night, but the presenter only read out my email and said, "But we haven't got any Hollies on the show tonight" Rolling Eyes
PostPosted:Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:12 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject: Staying Power
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Who's managed to buy the album yet?

I am still waiting for Amazon to send my copy out to me.

Went to pick up my copy from HMV, they haven't even been sent the album from the suppliers yet!
PostPosted:Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:20 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
mcbobz Post subject: GOT IT!

Got Staying Power this morning,

been listening to it all morning at my desk. Now, i'm only 25 so not the longest Hollies fan by any means, but I was raised on Hollies music and was taken to concerts from the age of 4.

After one listen, i'm really impressed. It's not what many would probably call a 'classic Hollies' sounding album, but it does show that the band is capable of recording good, current sounding pop music.

There are several songs that really stand out for me, 'Hope', 'Shine on me', 'So damn beautiful', 'Yesterday's gone', 'Weakness' and 'Let Love pass'. - thats half the album that'll be on heavy rotation on my mp3 player. Its not often these days when so many of an albums songs instantly stand out like these (to me). Even recent albums by my other favourite band Bon Jovi didn't have as much imediate impact and i'm sure the rest of Staying Power will grow on me very quickly.

Just my quick first thoughts - take 'um or leave 'um.

Can't wait to hear them live again soon, as soon as the boys decide to do Sheffield City Hall or somewhere near again.

Best Wishes
Rob
PostPosted:Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:58 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The new album was mentioned on Radio 2 today (Neil Diamond has released the first album in ages today, also) and there was a half-page advert for the Scottish dates/new album in yesterday's Sunday Mail.

PostPosted:Mon Feb 20, 2006 20:13 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
loenen16 Post subject: stying power again
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

oh my goodness today a phonecall from my cd shop' musicstore'
they have and a copy as i ordered from Staying Power and yes the single So damn beautifull 2 tracks
so i am pretty pleased that everything is on time as said .and i live in the netherlands east side near germany so do you believe i am pretty pleased

thanks for the music again dear beloved HOLLIES WISH YOU VERY FULL BIG TIME SUCCES
listening one time now and can't say anything else as thanks thanks it was worth the waiting for ,so now the rest off the world buy it as you can it's every bit of sound a masterpiece
bernard almelo netherlands
PostPosted:Mon Feb 20, 2006 21:41 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject: Staying Power/So Damn Beautiful
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Where did you get the single from? It hasn't been released. Very Happy
PostPosted:Mon Feb 20, 2006 21:55 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
loenen16 Post subject: Re: Staying Power/So Damn Beautiful
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Shelley wrote:
Where did you get the single from? It hasn't been released. Very Happy

sorry but as you have read the item above ,i will repeat myself
i ordered the Staying Power and the single with at my local musicstore with the name "musicstore" and left my phonenumber behind to get a call when things arive so on monday-noon i get that expected phone call from the man and ask him what he got fore me and he said i've got the album and the single with the 2 tracks so i am very pleased to live in holland ( netherland ) eastside near German border.
just ordered it and it came to me aperently it is realesed in holland and if there are more Dutch would like to know if they have a copy ????
cheers Bernard
PostPosted:Tue Feb 21, 2006 18:04 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Apologies for asking you to repeat yourself.

So it has been released somewhere else then?

Wonder why we in England, where it was due for release and then not released, were not informed of this. Confused

Anyone else know if it was released in any other country? Or if England was the only country it was not released in.
PostPosted:Tue Feb 21, 2006 18:11 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
davidm Post subject: New Single arrived today!

I have the new single received in today's post - So damn beautiful / Too much too soon. I ordered it from a dealer on Amazon (recordshop.net) because amazon themselves weren't selling it. The dealer is still advertising it on amazon for those interested. There is a sticker on it "2 track single expect to pay no more than £2" - but it actually cost £3.66 plus postage.
PostPosted:Tue Feb 21, 2006 20:41 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I actually emailed that person, asking him where he got it from etc.

I have decided to order it myself.

How do we know it is the real thing though, has So Damn Beautiful been released to other countries?

Can anyone confirm? Very Happy
PostPosted:Tue Feb 21, 2006 20:46 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I got mine from Fopp. I think it's a chart return shop. It was so brilliant to go in and see a big pile of brand new hollies albums. I kissed mine the whole way to the counter.
GordonJ
PostPosted:Tue Feb 21, 2006 21:21 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic