graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Eric Haydock's Hollies
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Eric Haydock's Hollies
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I read on the internet that The Hollies tried to get Eric Haydock thrown in jail for using the name "Eric Haydock's Hollies". He was a founding member along with Allan Clarke and Graham Nash, according to what I read. Doesn't he have as much right to the name as Tony and Bobby, especially since he was there before they were? Altogether an appalling scenario, if you ask me, especially since they reunited with Haydock in 1983. I've seen the pictures.
PostPosted:Sat Feb 04, 2006 23:26 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
butterflybye Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Where did you read that Dennis?
PostPosted:Sat Feb 04, 2006 23:28 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

Don't believe all you read, Dennis. That journalistic report is merely a headline grabber.

For the facts behind the case, please read the news item from 1 May 1999 on the website and you will see why "The Hollies" had to take legal action against Eric and his band.

They won a court case against Eric in 1997 but at that time still agreed in court that he could call himself "Eric Haydock - Ex Hollies" as long as the "Hollies" wording was not more prominent than his name. There was never an intention to stop him playing or stop him referring to his past history. Just stopping him from fooling people into thinking they were seeing "The Hollies"

Unfortunately, Eric's band continued to be advertised on many occasions as "The Hollies", sometimes without reference to himself which was in clear breach of the court ruling. Although he may not have been directly involved in producing the adverts, he was responsible for them.

This had the effect of people turning up to his shows expecting to see The Hollies when they were not there. This caused many problems and complaints to the real band.

Because of the complete disregard for the earlier court ruling, the case ended up back in court and the report you have read on the web, presumably the BBC website, is a journalists' account of the proceedings.

Secondly, they did not actually re-unite in1983. At the end of 1981, Eric and Graham appeared with the band to promote the Holliedaze and Hollipops singles that were all the rage at the time. They did a couple of Top Of The Pops shows and some other events and the promo shot was from that time. If you mean the photo with Allan and Tony sitting on a bench? with Graham, Bobby and Eric standing, that was taken outside Abbey Road studios on 8th September 1981.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Sun Feb 05, 2006 0:51 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
speedwaybloke Post subject: Eric Haydock's Hollies
Banjo

Banjo

Eric came to Australia about 5 years ago. The local paper advertised "The Hollies" with a photo of Eric & his band. I knew it was not the "real" Hollies but bought tickets just the same. The band put on a good show. After a rather lukewarm initial reception the crowd warmed up and they joined in and had a good time. Some people were asking where Clarke, Hicks and even Ray were. When they realised it was not the Hollies they knew several left to try to get their money back. Others stayed even after they learned who the band was.

There was a poster on display at the club where they performed and I did try to get hold of it but a club offficial took it down. I was nearby when the promoter had a quiet word with the club asking them to take it down. I had contacted the promoter and arranged to take photos. He agreed but wanted written assurance from me that I would not call the band the Hollies. I think that he may have had word by then from the Hollies management about using the name.

They came back just over a year later and were promoted that time as either Eric Haydock's Hollies or Eric Haydock ex Hollies (I can't remember which)
PostPosted:Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:10 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

butterflybye wrote:
Where did you read that Dennis?

Do a google or yahoo search for "BBC Hollies".
PostPosted:Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:59 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Hope2005 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I remember reading an article on this subject last year in the 'Daily Mail' and I feel they are right in taking Eric to court as he is misleading people. I know for a fact that he has played in a band called 'The Animals and Friends' too.

PostPosted:Sat Feb 11, 2006 19:00 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I read the same report last year.

So...what happened as a result of the latest court action?

PostPosted:Mon Feb 13, 2006 18:55 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

brandy wrote:
I read the same report last year.

So...what happened as a result of the latest court action?

Banished to the Butlins houseband in Skegness Wink Laughing Surely not a financial settlement - Eric can't be that wealthy?

PostPosted:Mon Feb 13, 2006 23:21 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Eloise Post subject:

As far as I know, Tony and Bobby don't like Eric using the "Hollies" name at all, but there isn't much they can do about it. The last thing I heard was that the best jobs Eric's band can get is small clubs and watering holes...so Eric isn't really in any competition with Tony and Bobby anyway.
PostPosted:Sat Jun 10, 2006 16:13 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Carrie Eloise wrote:
As far as I know, Tony and Bobby don't like Eric using the "Hollies" name at all, but there isn't much they can do about it. The last thing I heard was that the best jobs Eric's band can get is small clubs and watering holes...so Eric isn't really in any competition with Tony and Bobby anyway.

Exactly, so why all the fuss from Tony and Bobby? Are they THAT insecure that they have to take Eric to court over this silly issue? Eric Haydock was The Hollies bass player for their early '63-6 period, contributing to that solid wall of hits. You'd think that would count for something, but ex-Hollies don't get much respect from The Hollies Corporation, do they?
PostPosted:Sat Jun 10, 2006 20:11 pm

Last edited by Dennis on Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:49 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
chig Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Dennis - This has been chewed over time and time again. Eric Haydock may not be any competition for The Hollies but while ever he passes himself off as The Hollies he's misleading people into buying tickets thinking they are going to see The Hollies, not a band made up of various unknowns who happen to include one member of the band from the sixties.

Bobby and Tony have never stopped him using his name with Ex-Hollies after or anything similar but his camp has blatantly passed his band off as The Hollies - especially abroad. This has been happeninig for a number of years - well before Allan Clarke left.

Martin's comments on another topic about ex Hollies hit the nail on the head - everybody jumps to conclusions about ex members and a whole host of other things to do with The Hollies but the vast majority have no factual knowledge about it.

PostPosted:Sat Jun 10, 2006 22:18 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Eloise Post subject:

I think the big trouble now is - there is currently a band called the Hollies that is trying to pass themselves off as THE HOLLIES.
PostPosted:Tue Jun 27, 2006 0:30 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
carol7cat Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

And doing an exceptionally good job of it as well!!!
The Hollies of 2006 who have moved on and changed and adapted their musical style to fit in with todays everchanging market, just as Madonna, Robbie Williams Take That and many other well known artists have done.
PostPosted:Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:02 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

carol7cat wrote:
Take That

No need for mentioning musical obscenities like that, Carol!

PostPosted:Tue Jun 27, 2006 15:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:
carol7cat wrote:
Take That

No need for mentioning musical obscenities like that, Carol!

Agreed. I honestly don't know how anyone can stomach Madonna. She is sooo eighties has-been.
PostPosted:Tue Jun 27, 2006 15:35 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next