graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » UK vs. US concert experiences
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: UK vs. US concert experiences
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Something that hasn't been mentioned here is the obvious difference between being a Hollies fan in the UK (or Europe) and the US (and Canada). The Hollies only sporatically visited the US and Canada over the years, and had some different hit records in the different territories as well. This makes for a different outlook on the band. Being a native Californian, there weren't too many opportunities to see my favorite band in concert, so the ones I did attend are vivid in my memory. They played their first-ever West Coast show, the notorious gig at the Whisky A Go-Go on Valentine's Day 1968 (I was too young for concert-going at the time), the beginning of Nash's Americanization. Then it was the jaw-dropping Santa Monica Civic show on Nov. 22, 1972. The next gig here in Los Angeles was at The Roxy in 1975. And then...nothing. 3 live gigs in the world's capital for music. Seems strange. Luckily I was living in New York in the 1980s and got to see them in '83 with Nash. That's it for me. Anyone else care to relate their Hollies concert-going experiences, especially in the '60s and '70s?
PostPosted:Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:04 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
butterflybye Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Hello Dennis. I guess I have seen the Hollies play about a dozen times. The concerts were virtually all in the UK in the 70' and 80's in the Apollo, Glasgow, various venues in Edinburgh and once in Preston. I live in Canada now so don't see them at all, although I was in Edmonton on holiday I think in the late seventies and lo and behold they were playing, albeit without Allan Clarke. Have some tremendous memories. It's a pity you have not been able to see them.
PostPosted:Mon Jan 30, 2006 0:04 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

butterflybye wrote:
Hello Dennis. I guess I have seen the Hollies play about a dozen times. The concerts were virtually all in the UK in the 70' and 80's in the Apollo, Glasgow, various venues in Edinburgh and once in Preston. I live in Canada now so don't see them at all, although I was in Edmonton on holiday I think in the late seventies and lo and behold they were playing, albeit without Allan Clarke. Have some tremendous memories. It's a pity you have not been able to see them.

Please describe the show. Was it when they toured Canada in 1979? Before or after the Calculator (5317704) album? What were the songs they did? Who sang lead on what songs? Did they perform as a four piece? Please give any details you can remember. Thanks. I guess I didn't make it clear; I did see them in 1972, '75, and '83.
PostPosted:Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:31 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1