graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » What does it mean to be a 'fan'?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: What does it mean to be a 'fan'?
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Any thoughts?

PostPosted:Wed Jan 18, 2006 17:03 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject: Re: What does it mean to be a 'fan'?
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

James Towill wrote:
Any thoughts?

Good question!

I consider myself one of the keenest Jerry Lee Lewis fans in the world. I've contributed heavily to both his official biography & to the multi-album Bear Family boxsets, I've met & chatted to JLL many times, I've stayed at his sister's home, & I have what is almost certainly the biggest collection of JLL 'live' recordings & bootleg DVDs in the world...

Yet when I dared to suggest on a JLL forum that he should retire from live performances before things become too embarrasing, all HELL broke loose, & I'm forever being accused of not being a "real" fan!!! I must add that my comments weren't particularly about him being 70 years old, but merely that he has become very frail & often has trouble playing to his contracted time (45 minutes), & needing several days to recover (I don't think Chuck Berry should retire, as he still plays over a hour per night AND he can still duck-walk across the stage AND he insists on having no "rest days" during tours AND he still takes women back to his hotel...he'll be 80 years old this year!!!).

Anyway, to me being a dedicated fan does NOT mean that my hero (or heroes) are beyond criticism, & that we should accept everything they do as being brilliant. My argument is that I'm a real fan because I CARE! I care about the latter-day legacy Jerry lee Lewis will leave behind, & the same applies to The Hollies too.

Peter

PostPosted:Wed Jan 18, 2006 17:13 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I'm surprised more people haven't replied to this... Shocked

PostPosted:Thu Jan 19, 2006 16:46 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: Re: What does it mean to be a 'fan'?
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

peterchecksfield wrote:
Anyway, to me being a dedicated fan does NOT mean that my hero (or heroes) are beyond criticism, & that we should accept everything they do as being brilliant. My argument is that I'm a real fan because I CARE! I care about the latter-day legacy Jerry lee Lewis will leave behind, & the same applies to The Hollies too.

Peter

Yes, an interesting comment.

PostPosted:Thu Jan 19, 2006 17:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I see it the same way as Peter!

Beeing a fan does nor mean that you like everything a group/artist puts out.
I would consider myself as beeing a real "fan" of the Beatles, the Hollies and Smokie/Chris Norman but although I love a lot of their music I always have things (songs/records etc.) that I don't like.

But beeing a fan does also sometimes mean that you like some things that you wouldn't normaly like if other groups had done them.
PostPosted:Thu Jan 19, 2006 17:53 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

DistantLight wrote:
you like some things that you wouldn't normaly like if other groups had done them.

That's interesting. It is curious how you come to like things you wouldn't normally like because the band you like is doing it.

Michael
PostPosted:Thu Jan 19, 2006 19:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

MichealC wrote:
DistantLight wrote:
you like some things that you wouldn't normaly like if other groups had done them.

That's interesting. It is curious how you come to like things you wouldn't normally like because the band you like is doing it.

Michael

I think if it's a band/artist that we love, then we're more likely to persevere with something. If we hear a record that we don't like by an unknown band, then that's usually the end of it.

PostPosted:Thu Jan 19, 2006 20:23 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

One of the best commentaries I've ever seen on being a fan - versus a fanatic - comes from an old Saturday Night Live skit, featuring guest star William Shatner. In it, Shatner is dealing with a group of adoring, but rather nerdy/geeky fans dressed as various alien species at a Star Trek convention. They are pestering Shatner with all manner of very technical comments and questions about various episodes and devices that appeared on the show. Exasperated, Shatner finally roars out:

"Get a life, people!!! It's only a show!"

A fan and a fanatic both like something - a television show, a musical act, a genre of dance, an art object, whatever - and follow the ongoing activities of that artist or style. But only the fan maintains perspective, both by recognizing that no one and nothing is perfect every time, and by recognizing there is always more to life than the
form of art they happen to enjoy.

PostPosted:Thu Jan 19, 2006 20:58 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

peterchecksfield wrote:
MichealC wrote:
DistantLight wrote:

Michael

I think if it's a band/artist that we love, then we're more likely to persevere with something. If we hear a record that we don't like by an unknown band, then that's usually the end of it.

The endless human capacity for rationalization!!!

And I'M very human. Laughing

PostPosted:Thu Jan 19, 2006 21:20 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

To me, being a fan is liking a group/artist and their music as well as the sort of performance they give at their concerts/T.V. appearances etc. I consider myself a real fan of the Hollies, Smokie, Sweet and Aussie 70's bands Sherbet and The Mixtures because they all came up with great music some of which became unforgettable classics and they give/gave a fantastic performance at their shows. I also like The Beatles although I was too young to see them when they came to Australia their one and only time in 1964 (which I don't even remember). My very first comcert was The Mixtures in 1970 when my older sister took me. My very first Hollies concert was in Sydney in 1976.

Susie

PostPosted:Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:33 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Quote:
I consider myself a real fan of the Hollies, Smokie, Sweet and Aussie 70's bands Sherbet and The Mixtures because they all came up with great music some of which became unforgettable classics and they give/gave a fantastic performance at their shows.

By the way as you've mentioned Smokie, I was at another Chris Norman concert some days ago. This time he had a different band and the drummer was Pete Spencer again, the Smokie drummer!
It was a very good show, the first concert of the tour with the new band so they made some little mistakes here and there (the band not Chris Norman Wink ) but they laughed at each of it and just had a good time on stage. You could really see that he loves to perform and was happy to be on the road again!
They've played lots of Smokie songs like Wild Wild Angels, For A Few Dollars More, It's Your Life, I'll Meet You At Midnight, Needles And Pins and even Baby It's You. But he has chosen mostly different ones to the last tour so I haven't heard most of them in concert. He has also played lots of new songs, three from each of his last two albums and 6 from his new album (called "Million Miles" (all songs selfwritten and almost all instruments played by him except the drums which were played by Pete Spencer) and it was released on January, 13th 2006 to make a little advertisment. I bought it directly after the concert and it's pretty good, not as perfect as "Handmade" though).
He played 31 songs and performed about 2 1/4 hours.
This time he also played harmonica on one song, that he sang alone on stage only with his acoustic guitar and he played piano on two new songs and as he was going to the piano one of the fans shouted "Little Lucy!!!" and he heard it and tried to remember how that song was going and then he tried some things out and then played one verse and one chorus with Pete Spencer happily jamming along, the rest of the band didn't know what to play so it was mainly the two Smokie guys playing.
He covered "Sledgehammer" and "My Generation" in hard rock versions and he performed "Don't Think Twice It's Alright" in a folky acoustic form!
Great concert!

I went a little off topic but I gave an example of how it sounds when a fan describes a concert Very Happy
PostPosted:Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:51 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
butterflybye Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

It meant much more to me when I was younger, being a fan. Nowadays I don't really think of the Hollies or any other group, actor etc. in the same light as I used to.
PostPosted:Sat Feb 04, 2006 23:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1