The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » NEW TALENT AND GENIUS IN THE BAND
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

peterchecksfield wrote:

Will even one song on the new Stones CD be remembered ten years from now? I seriously doubt it. I heard some of the new CD and found it shrill and pointless. Jagger & Richards can't even come up with any decent melodies. Their new "songs" are largely based on uninspired and tired guitar riffs.

Will even one song on the new Hollies CD be remembered ten years from now? I seriously doubt it...

Of course, the die-hard fans of both bands will always remember everything.

This new album is the big test for the band: whether the general public accepts & buys this material. They're aiming further than just the people on this forum...

Man, you haven't even heard the new CD yet and you're already burying it. I sense you are strictly a Nash-era fan. That's your loss. Graham Nash's leaving was the best thing that could have happened for the band, as was Clarke's leaving in 1971. The Hollies continued to make excellent music following Nash's (and Clarke's) departure. This has been the lingering prejudice against The Hollies since he left in '68; a kind of snobbish conviction that nobody mattered but him. Poppycock.

And, yes, the new album is aimed at a general audience. If the songs themselves are good, then this project will be worthwhile. But let's hear it first, OK?
PostPosted:Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:58 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Dennis wrote:
Graham Nash's leaving was the best thing that could have happened for the band, as was Clarke's leaving in 1971.

I'm sure that Bobby & Tony will leave eventually, & then 'The Hollies' will be truly incredible. Wink

Better still, why don't we replace the whole lot of them with 20-year-olds? We won't have to see things like greying pony-tails then... Laughing

Seriously, if Allan & Graham (or Allan & Terry) got together tomorrow & formed 'Allan Clarke's Hollies', then we ALL know which group would be considered the most 'authentic'. Whatever you think, Graham & Allan were the 'Lennon & McCartney' of The Hollies.

PostPosted:Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:05 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
chig Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

The problem there is that Allan's voice is no more, Terry's is not much better and Graham is still touring with others. So what you are proposing will never happen. I presume that when Bobby and Tony finally retire there will no longer be The Hollies.

If you don't like what's happening at the moment, why don't you find something else to do? I think we've all got the message about your feelings. Don't keep coming on every topic airing the same sentiments. Most of us are very optimistic about what's happening, but each time somebody starts a topic about this you have to turn it into something negative. Give it a rest.

PostPosted:Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:01 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

peterchecksfield wrote:
Dennis wrote:
Graham Nash's leaving was the best thing that could have happened for the band, as was Clarke's leaving in 1971.

I'm sure that Bobby & Tony will leave eventually, & then 'The Hollies' will be truly incredible. Wink

Better still, why don't we replace the whole lot of them with 20-year-olds? We won't have to see things like greying pony-tails then... Laughing

Seriously, if Allan & Graham (or Allan & Terry) got together tomorrow & formed 'Allan Clarke's Hollies', then we ALL know which group would be considered the most 'authentic'. Whatever you think, Graham & Allan were the 'Lennon & McCartney' of The Hollies.

You're narrow-minded, cynical, and sarcastic. An unfortunate combination.
PostPosted:Thu Jan 19, 2006 16:36 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Dennis wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:
Dennis wrote:

You're narrow-minded, cynical, and sarcastic. An unfortunate combination.

Quite possibly. But it's preferable to having a sense-of-humour bypass... Laughing

PostPosted:Thu Jan 19, 2006 16:45 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

chig wrote:
I presume that when Bobby and Tony finally retire there will no longer be The Hollies.

I doubt this very much. Groups like 'Dr. Feelgood' & 'Canned Heat' now have no original members left.

PostPosted:Thu Jan 19, 2006 16:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

[quote="peterchecksfield] But it's preferable to having a sense-of-humour bypass... Laughing[/quote]

I think that we need to calm down here and not view everything as a personal attack - on the board there is what I call 'banter' which seems to be interpreted by a number of people, not least our faithful moderator as abuse. LIGHTEN UP PEOPLE. All The World Is Love Laughing

PostPosted:Thu Jan 19, 2006 17:03 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

James Towill wrote:
[quote="peterchecksfield] But it's preferable to having a sense-of-humour bypass... Laughing

I think that we need to calm down here and not view everything as a personal attack - on the board there is what I call 'banter' which seems to be interpreted by a number of people, not least our faithful moderator as abuse. LIGHTEN UP PEOPLE. All The World Is Love Laughing[/quote]

Well said James. And I apologise if I caused offence to anyone.

I still don't think Allan's ponytail looked that bad though... Wink

PostPosted:Thu Jan 19, 2006 17:07 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I think the ponytail looked pretty cool he looked rock and roll then.

Michael
PostPosted:Thu Jan 19, 2006 18:54 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
chig Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

The point I was trying to make was that most topics start on a positive note but all end up with the same negative views of a few about todays band. I wouldn't call it "banter". As I said we've all got the message about your views but you keep going on and on and quite frankly it's getting boring.

Let's have some of the old regular posters back on the forum giving their views without fear of being ridiculed.

PostPosted:Thu Jan 19, 2006 18:56 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Everyone pleeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzz take a deep breath, collect your thoughts and start over again...geeeeeeeeeesshhhhhh.
PostPosted:Thu Jan 19, 2006 20:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

chig wrote:
The point I was trying to make was that most topics start on a positive note but all end up with the same negative views of a few about todays band. I wouldn't call it "banter". As I said we've all got the message about your views but you keep going on and on and quite frankly it's getting boring.

Let's have some of the old regular posters back on the forum giving their views without fear of being ridiculed.

We've also got the point that Dennis prefers the band without Allan by now...

PostPosted:Thu Jan 19, 2006 20:19 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

chig wrote:

Please do not interpret this as abuse or anything similar, but this 'fear of ridiculed' is, to me, offensive. And who are these 'old' posters? It's an open house here. As I said to Rob in a private post, I can't believe people are so offended by anything that is said on here - this is, afterall, merely linked to a hobby for most people.

Let's all lighten up, it's becoming like the House of Commons in here! Laughing

PostPosted:Thu Jan 19, 2006 21:41 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Quote:

Noone is ridiculed by anyone just because he/she has a different opinion than another in this forum - it's just not true!
I haven't read one post that ridiculed anyone. If you did than you should say which one you mean and not just voice such accusations without any proof.
PostPosted:Fri Jan 20, 2006 16:25 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

MichealC wrote:
I think the ponytail looked pretty cool he looked rock and roll then.

Michael

He was always the most stylish Hollie...

PostPosted:Fri Jan 20, 2006 16:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Page 2 of 3