graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » NEW TALENT AND GENIUS IN THE BAND
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
carol7cat Post subject: NEW TALENT AND GENIUS IN THE BAND
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

No one can take away the outstanding contributions made by past members of the band, however a band cannot live in the past.
We are extremely lucky that the current members possess such a incredible amount of talent and musical genius between them that has culminated in the sound we have today.
The guys seem to have an incredible ability to stretch across the musical decades with their performances!
They also happen to be the nicest bunch of guys you could ever meet, for the past fifteen years I have felt more like a member of the Hollies family then a fan!!.

Jo and I would like to wish them every success with their new album which I am sure
will go triple platinum!!.
PostPosted:Tue Jan 17, 2006 21:21 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject: Re: NEW TALENT AND GENIUS IN THE BAND
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

carol7cat wrote:

We are extremely lucky that the current members possess such a incredible amount of talent and musical genius between them that has culminated in the sound we have today...

It's a shame that their incredible talent & musical genius doesn't extend to songwriting... Wink

PostPosted:Tue Jan 17, 2006 21:45 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: NEW TALENT AND GENIUS IN THE BAND
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

peterchecksfield wrote:
carol7cat wrote:

We are extremely lucky that the current members possess such a incredible amount of talent and musical genius between them that has culminated in the sound we have today...

It's a shame that their incredible talent & musical genius doesn't extend to songwriting... Wink

What shame are you referring to? This was the same complaint that some had about not only The Hollies but other bands besides The Beatles who would dare do outside material. What would, for instance, The Monkees catalog be without the outside writing? About a dozen or so Nesmith tunes, that's about it. Look at The Rolling Stones today; they write their own material, and it isn't at all what it was in the '60s. They simply don't write hit songs anymore. They're one band that could stand to do an album with outside writers, but do you think they'd do it? Hell no. They are in it purely to keep themselves wealthy and in mansions. I'd rather hear some good, commercial songs from a band than not, whether they're self-penned or not. Take away the outside material that The Hollies have recorded through the years, and you have a very diminished body of work. Part of being interested in an artist is allowing them to do what they do best. If a new album with all outside writers is what The Hollies felt was the right thing for them, then it's best to accept that and wait to hear the new music, and THEN pass judgement. As a long-time fan, I put trust in Tony Hicks' decisions regarding the band and its music. I don't think he would steer us wrong. If it weren't for him, they never would have recorded "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother". He discovered the song, and the rest is history.
PostPosted:Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:05 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Well said Dennis, I agree with everything you said. I understand that people like different eras of the Hollies' career but it isn't fair to the band if people condemn the new material without even hearing it first, we just can't keep living in the past. If the band wants to use outside songwriters then that is their choice/business and I for one will buy their upcoming single and album when they are released next month.

One proud and dedicated Hollies fan - Susie Hewett

Very Happy Smile Razz

PostPosted:Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:37 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Dennis wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:
carol7cat wrote:

What shame are you referring to? This was the same complaint that some had about not only The Hollies but other bands besides The Beatles who would dare do outside material. What would, for instance, The Monkees catalog be without the outside writing? About a dozen or so Nesmith tunes, that's about it. Look at The Rolling Stones today; they write their own material, and it isn't at all what it was in the '60s. They simply don't write hit songs anymore. They're one band that could stand to do an album with outside writers, but do you think they'd do it? Hell no. They are in it purely to keep themselves wealthy and in mansions. I'd rather hear some good, commercial songs from a band than not, whether they're self-penned or not. Take away the outside material that The Hollies have recorded through the years, and you have a very diminished body of work. Part of being interested in an artist is allowing them to do what they do best. If a new album with all outside writers is what The Hollies felt was the right thing for them, then it's best to accept that and wait to hear the new music, and THEN pass judgement. As a long-time fan, I put trust in Tony Hicks' decisions regarding the band and its music. I don't think he would steer us wrong. If it weren't for him, they never would have recorded "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother". He discovered the song, and the rest is history.

I have nothing against artists using outside writers, & I wish bands like the Stones would do so more. But it still seems strange to me that a band known (at least to some extent) for their songwriting are releasing their first album in 20-odd years with NONE of their own compilations.

PostPosted:Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:35 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

As a long-time fan, I put trust in Tony Hicks' decisions regarding the band and its music. I don't think he would steer us wrong. If it weren't for him, they never would have recorded "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother". He discovered the song, and the rest is history.

Is Tony the one who makes all the decisions? I presumed it was a 'group' thing...

PostPosted:Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:45 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I was always under the impression that Hollies LTD. were Allan, Tony and Bobby. With Allan gone, that leaves only Tony and Bobby for decision making. At least that's the way I understand it.
PostPosted:Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:13 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Well said Peter! I've said so much about the "songwriting theme" but I can only say it again: I wouldn't mind them doing songs by outsite writers but when the first album after more than 20 years does not contain one single selfwritten song than I find that extremely poor! Noone would have complained if they had recorded an album with for example one half or even a bit more songs written by outside writers and the rest selfwritten.

And judging from the article about the making of the album I see no signs of them having even tried to write songs! Ray said they didn't feel any pressure to write songs. So if that is correct they didn't even attempt to write some songs. They just took the easiest way!
And if they "posess such an incredible amount of talent and musical genius" like Carol7cat said it should have been no problem for them to contribute some songs to a new album.

And by the way, Dennis, you say that the Rolling Stones don't write hit material anymore. I wouldn't argue of course that their old songs are better but I've got the new album and there are some songs that have hit potential although they don't have big single hits anymore. But that is not because the songs are no hits but because they aren't a "single-band" anymore. Most fans buy the albums and not the singles.
PostPosted:Wed Jan 18, 2006 14:25 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

holliesfan wrote:
I was always under the impression that Hollies LTD. were Allan, Tony and Bobby. With Allan gone, that leaves only Tony and Bobby for decision making. At least that's the way I understand it.

I hope this isn't true. It must be horrible for the new guys if they have no say in choosing the material they have to sing & play on.

Also, I'm wondering if Allan is still consulted about some decisions (not song choices for the new album obviously). Mick Avory of The Kinks left the band in 1984, but apparantly he's still part of 'The kinks' whenever business decisions are made.

PostPosted:Wed Jan 18, 2006 15:04 pm

Last edited by peterchecksfield on Wed Jan 18, 2006 17:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Susie Hewett wrote:
One proud and dedicated Hollies fan

Yes, but what exactly does it mean to be a fan, not specifically in a Hollies sense, but of any band? I think I'll start a new thread...

PostPosted:Wed Jan 18, 2006 16:59 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Something that has not been brought up is the question, CAN anybody in the band besides Tony actually write songs? If there had been any self-penned songs on the new CD, would they be only written by Tony? I tend to think this is the case. Sure, I'd like to hear something new written by Tony Hicks, but maybe he is not in a writing frame of mind these days. What we need is an interview with the man himself to find out.
PostPosted:Wed Jan 18, 2006 20:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

DistantLight wrote:
Well said Peter! I've said so much about the "songwriting theme" but I can only say it again: I wouldn't mind them doing songs by outsite writers but when the first album after more than 20 years does not contain one single selfwritten song than I find that extremely poor! Noone would have complained if they had recorded an album with for example one half or even a bit more songs written by outside writers and the rest selfwritten.

And judging from the article about the making of the album I see no signs of them having even tried to write songs! Ray said they didn't feel any pressure to write songs. So if that is correct they didn't even attempt to write some songs. They just took the easiest way!
And if they "posess such an incredible amount of talent and musical genius" like Carol7cat said it should have been no problem for them to contribute some songs to a new album.

And by the way, Dennis, you say that the Rolling Stones don't write hit material anymore. I wouldn't argue of course that their old songs are better but I've got the new album and there are some songs that have hit potential although they don't have big single hits anymore. But that is not because the songs are no hits but because they aren't a "single-band" anymore. Most fans buy the albums and not the singles.

Will even one song on the new Stones CD be remembered ten years from now? I seriously doubt it. I heard some of the new CD and found it shrill and pointless. Jagger & Richards can't even come up with any decent melodies. Their new "songs" are largely based on uninspired and tired guitar riffs.
PostPosted:Wed Jan 18, 2006 20:45 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
Something that has not been brought up is the question, CAN anybody in the band besides Tony actually write songs? If there had been any self-penned songs on the new CD, would they be only written by Tony? I tend to think this is the case. Sure, I'd like to hear something new written by Tony Hicks, but maybe he is not in a writing frame of mind these days. What we need is an interview with the man himself to find out.

Boy would I for one, love to hear how Tony would respond to that question.
PostPosted:Wed Jan 18, 2006 20:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Will even one song on the new Stones CD be remembered ten years from now? I seriously doubt it. I heard some of the new CD and found it shrill and pointless. Jagger & Richards can't even come up with any decent melodies. Their new "songs" are largely based on uninspired and tired guitar riffs.

Will even one song on the new Hollies CD be remembered ten years from now? I seriously doubt it...

Of course, the die-hard fans of both bands will always remember everything.

This new album is the big test for the band: whether the general public accepts & buys this material. They're aiming further than just the people on this forum...

PostPosted:Wed Jan 18, 2006 21:09 pm

Last edited by peterchecksfield on Wed Jan 18, 2006 23:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
carol7cat Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Tony,Peter,Ian and Ray are all talented writers and producers.

If you read how "Staying Power" was put to-gether you will see that they all put in incredible hours producing and compiling the album.

To have someone wanting to write for you of the calibre and magnitude of the song-writers shows the high esteem in which "The Hollies" are held.

Lets put our faith behind them and support them all the way!! Razz
PostPosted:Wed Jan 18, 2006 22:36 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic