graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Dennis wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:
James Towill wrote:
I seriously doubt he would return. From what I have heard of live Sylvester recordings from 10 years ago, his voice hasn't aged too well either, although it's far from what you would say was 'shot'.

I read a review of a Crosby, Stills & Gig a couple of months back, & the reviewer noted that both Crosby & Nash (despite being white haired 60-somethings) still had "the voices of angels", though apparantly Stills' voice hasn't aged as well. Of course, Graham wouldn't return in a million years without Allan, not even temporarily.

Hope I haven't drifted too far off topic...

I don't know how many Hollies fans agree with me on this, but I really can't stand CSN. They stole their sound from The Hollies, but the Hollies were far better at harmony vocals and I would venture to guess still are. We'll find out soon enough when the album comes out. I just could never get into Nash's work after The Hollies. To me it was too mamby pamby. The Hollies were right to reject a song like "Marrakesh Express". And "Our House" is another twee number I could never stomach. Didn't like any of the others either.

I'm not much of a fan either. Having said that, I can't help thinking that 'Marrakesh Express' would've made a much better Hollies single than either 'Jennifer Eccles' or 'Listen To Me', probably the weakest 2 songs they cut in 1968.

Of course, The Hollies' recent live version of 'Blackbird' is a note-for-note copy of CSN's version...

Peter

PostPosted:Fri Dec 30, 2005 17:54 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Ro-Robert Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Seems this topic goes back to topic 'worst song' instead of Terry's departure Wink

BTW: Listen To Me is one of my favourite Hollies songs!!! It reminds me of 'I Can't Let Go' which I think is even better.

Ro-Robert
PostPosted:Fri Dec 30, 2005 18:20 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I think Bobby described Listen To Me as a 'middling sort of song' however I think it is one of their best sixties tracks - shame it didn't go higher in the charts than it did.

PostPosted:Fri Dec 30, 2005 23:11 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

James Towill wrote:
I think Bobby described Listen To Me as a 'middling sort of song' however I think it is one of their best sixties tracks - shame it didn't go higher in the charts than it did.

I like it, but feel that they were cutting stronger stuff during this period such as 'Wings', 'Man With No Expression' & 'Do The Best You Can'.

PostPosted:Fri Dec 30, 2005 23:58 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I also think "Listen To Me" is a great song! I also like 'Wings', 'Man With No Expression' and 'Do The Best You Can' but "Listen To Me" is in my opinion the most commercial one so they were right releasing that as a single.
PostPosted:Sat Dec 31, 2005 15:52 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

DistantLight wrote:
I also think "Listen To Me" is a great song! I also like 'Wings', 'Man With No Expression' and 'Do The Best You Can' but "Listen To Me" is in my opinion the most commercial one so they were right releasing that as a single.

I LOVE "Listen To Me"! It has an incredible melody line. Just a joy. I totally agree, those that you mention are very nice, but "Listen To Me" is one of The Hollies' outstanding singles. It really sends me, and was a first-class final single with Nash. And to think, "Do The Best You Can", the UK B-side, was considered good enough to be released as an A-side in at least 3 countries, the US, Australia, and Germany.
PostPosted:Sat Dec 31, 2005 16:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

peterchecksfield wrote:
Dennis wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:
James Towill wrote:
I seriously doubt he would return. From what I have heard of live Sylvester recordings from 10 years ago, his voice hasn't aged too well either, although it's far from what you would say was 'shot'.

I read a review of a Crosby, Stills & Gig a couple of months back, & the reviewer noted that both Crosby & Nash (despite being white haired 60-somethings) still had "the voices of angels", though apparantly Stills' voice hasn't aged as well. Of course, Graham wouldn't return in a million years without Allan, not even temporarily.

Hope I haven't drifted too far off topic...

I don't know how many Hollies fans agree with me on this, but I really can't stand CSN. They stole their sound from The Hollies, but the Hollies were far better at harmony vocals and I would venture to guess still are. We'll find out soon enough when the album comes out. I just could never get into Nash's work after The Hollies. To me it was too mamby pamby. The Hollies were right to reject a song like "Marrakesh Express". And "Our House" is another twee number I could never stomach. Didn't like any of the others either.

I'm not much of a fan either. Having said that, I can't help thinking that 'Marrakesh Express' would've made a much better Hollies single than either 'Jennifer Eccles' or 'Listen To Me', probably the weakest 2 songs they cut in 1968.

Of course, The Hollies' recent live version of 'Blackbird' is a note-for-note copy of CSN's version...

Peter

Nah, "Marrakesh.." is too wishy washy for The Hollies. I certainly couldn't imagine Clarke singing it at all. So to me it is not suitable for The Hollies. The rest of the band obviously agreed, because there is apparently no vocal version of it, only an instrumental with perhaps a guide vocal. But nothing resembling a releasable track.
PostPosted:Sat Dec 31, 2005 16:16 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Dennis wrote:
DistantLight wrote:

I LOVE "Listen To Me"! It has an incredible melody line. Just a joy. I totally agree, those that you mention are very nice, but "Listen To Me" is one of The Hollies' outstanding singles. It really sends me, and was a first-class final single with Nash. And to think, "Do The Best You Can", the UK B-side, was considered good enough to be released as an A-side in at least 3 countries, the US, Australia, and Germany.

I'm sure I've told this story before, but...when I saw The Hollies in 1987, they did an acoustic spot where they took requests. I shouted 'Do The Best You Can!', so Tony shouted back "We Are!!!" Hahaha!!!

I also remember them doing an acoustic 'Listen To Me' as a request, though first of all Tony said "We just did that song as part of a medley!", to which Allan said "We didn't...". Allan was right.

Have a great 2006 everybody!!!

Peter Very Happy

PostPosted:Sat Dec 31, 2005 16:42 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

James Towill wrote:

I have learned to take everything Bobby says with a grain of salt. He seems to have his opinions about things which are not necessarily based on sound judgement.
PostPosted:Sat Dec 31, 2005 20:52 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
James Towill wrote:

I have learned to take everything Bobby says with a grain of salt. He seems to have his opinions about things which are not necessarily based on sound judgement.

Yes, Dennis, this seems to be the case at times, especially his dismissal of the Rickfors years.

PostPosted:Mon Jan 02, 2006 15:53 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yes, Bobby is WAY off base regarding the Rickfors years.
PostPosted:Tue Jan 03, 2006 15:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Dennis wrote:
Yes, Bobby is WAY off base regarding the Rickfors years.

Whatever our opinions, it obviously felt better for Bobby having Allan in the band, & Tony too judging by his comments which I posted elsewhere.

I've seen a couple of videos from this period, with Terry singing 'Long Cool Woman', Mikail singing 'He Ain't Heavy', & Terry & Tony singing 'Carrie-Anne'. And after seeing these I can understand how relieved everyone must've been to have Allan back...

PostPosted:Tue Jan 03, 2006 16:02 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

[quote="peterchecksfield"]
Dennis wrote:
I've seen a couple of videos from this period, with Terry singing 'Long Cool Woman', Mikail singing 'He Ain't Heavy', & Terry & Tony singing 'Carrie-Anne'. And after seeing these I can understand how relieved everyone must've been to have Allan back...

I've got the audio of Rickfors singing 'Heavy' and it is absolutely superb in my opinion. Carrie-Ann and LCW both lack the necessary 'bite' however.

PostPosted:Tue Jan 03, 2006 18:35 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I dig everything about the Rickfors period; live in concert, TV appearances, recordings, and the way the band looked. I simply will not sway in my opinion; the Rickfors period was the best overall. There was more of a balance within the band. If Clarke was so essential to their sound, why didn't they make more first-rate albums after the '74 reunion? Everything after that was sub-par. There isn't one album from '75 on that was really good. The calculator album was probably the best of the lot, but even that was too low-key.
PostPosted:Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:49 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

[quote="James Towill"]
peterchecksfield wrote:
Dennis wrote:

I've got the audio of Rickfors singing 'Heavy' and it is absolutely superb in my opinion. Carrie-Ann and LCW both lack the necessary 'bite' however.

If one wants to hear Clarke sing them, then the records are your best bet. In concert, however, the Rickfors lineup did all of them best live. I would rather hear the live versions of "Carrie Anne" and "Long Cool Woman" with the '72 lineup than any other live versions I've heard. And that includes the '76 and '83 concerts on CD. I've heard the '70 Aussie TV special, and "Carrie-Anne" isn't as good as Live in '72, with Bobby's great drum break, Mikael on congas, Tony singing lead, and Terry doing Graham's part. The band ROCKED, plain and simple. "Long Cool Woman" was fresh and new when Terry sang it in '72; it wasn't an oldie yet. Best LIVE version by far.
PostPosted:Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:59 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next