The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Terry Sylvester's departure
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Ro-Robert Post subject: Terry Sylvester's departure
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Dennis wrote:
I think the record company wanted to push the bland ballad "Too Many Heart Get Broken" because of the previous success with "The Air That I Breathe". But, yes, "Laughter..." is the superior tune of the two, no doubt about it. It would have benefitted greatly by having Terry Sylvester on the harmony vocal. That's the only thing that bothers me about it; the lack of Terry, who blended so well with Allan. I was so sorry (and am to this day) that he left the band on a bad note. It's a real shame.

How come Terry left on a bad note?

Ro-Robert
PostPosted:Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:40 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I think according to the Long Road Home book notes it was due to Bruce Welch (producer) acting as something of a despot during recording sessions after 'Buddy Holly'. I agree, a great shame that Terry and Bernie left when they did - the band became to all intents and purposes a trio augmented by hired hands therafter until Coates and Stiles had settled in.

PostPosted:Wed Dec 28, 2005 16:54 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yes, and the tune they had been working on, "Carrie" shows that Terry & Bernie were right to exit; it's awful! Apparently Welch didn't want Bernie playing bass on the track. I don't know what exactly transpired with Terry, but he and Bernie ended up leaving at the same time as a result of this clash with Bruce Welch. But there had to have been a clash with the other band members as well, since they obviously didn't come to their defense. Bernie touched upon it in a later interview, by saying it was a case of "familiarity breeding contempt". Sounds like they had all worked together long enough. By that time ('80-1) they were pretty desperate to get another hit and the situation created a lot of tension. By the way, anybody ever hear the harmony group Marvin, Welch, & Farrar (aka The Shadows)? Their two early '70s LPs are worth hearing, especially the first one.
PostPosted:Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:33 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Do you think Terry would ever re-join the Hollies? I recall him saying he would if asked. Wouldn't that be interesting.
PostPosted:Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:33 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I wouldn't hold my breath, holliesfan. I've gotten the impression there's not much love lost between Terry and The Hollies Ltd. Mad

But hey, this is show biz...anything is possible!! Wink

PostPosted:Thu Dec 29, 2005 18:09 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Ro-Robert Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

brandy wrote:
I wouldn't hold my breath, holliesfan. I've gotten the impression there's not much love lost between Terry and The Hollies Ltd. Mad

But hey, this is show biz...anything is possible!! Wink

Just as the 'bad note' would be gone would be very nice. It is just awful when somebody who contributed so much for the Hollies like Terry did, left like that and never felt appreciated afterwards. It would have been okay I guess if he was ever asked nicely to rejoin and he thanked for the honour or something.
But hey.. maybe they already did (some time ago).

Ro-Robert
PostPosted:Thu Dec 29, 2005 18:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Terry resides in Canada now, so that does present a problem in itself.
PostPosted:Thu Dec 29, 2005 18:49 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I'm sure if he were asked back he would gladly uproot from his Canadian digs and rejoin the fold.
PostPosted:Thu Dec 29, 2005 21:46 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

holliesfan wrote:
I'm sure if he were asked back he would gladly uproot from his Canadian digs and rejoin the fold.

He might have other priorities now. He must be around 60, & I'm sure he has family out there. Besides, he might not be so interested in the current line-up.

PostPosted:Thu Dec 29, 2005 21:59 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I seriously doubt he would return. From what I have heard of live Sylvester recordings from 10 years ago, his voice hasn't aged too well either, although it's far from what you would say was 'shot'.

PostPosted:Thu Dec 29, 2005 22:30 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

James Towill wrote:
I seriously doubt he would return. From what I have heard of live Sylvester recordings from 10 years ago, his voice hasn't aged too well either, although it's far from what you would say was 'shot'.

I read a review of a Crosby, Stills & Gig a couple of months back, & the reviewer noted that both Crosby & Nash (despite being white haired 60-somethings) still had "the voices of angels", though apparantly Stills' voice hasn't aged as well. Of course, Graham wouldn't return in a million years without Allan, not even temporarily.

Hope I haven't drifted too far off topic...

PostPosted:Thu Dec 29, 2005 22:35 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

peterchecksfield wrote:
though apparantly Stills' voice hasn't aged as well.

Probably due to all the fags he smokes! Laughing

PostPosted:Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:54 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Quote:
seriously doubt he would return. From what I have heard of live Sylvester recordings from 10 years ago, his voice hasn't aged too well either, although it's far from what you would say was 'shot'.

On the live recordings I have heard he sounds good but his voice has changed/aged. I don't think he could still sing those high harmony parts. So I'm very sure he won't rejoin the Hollies.
PostPosted:Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:18 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

DistantLight wrote:
Quote:
seriously doubt he would return. From what I have heard of live Sylvester recordings from 10 years ago, his voice hasn't aged too well either, although it's far from what you would say was 'shot'.

On the live recordings I have heard he sounds good but his voice has changed/aged. I don't think he could still sing those high harmony parts. So I'm very sure he won't rejoin the Hollies.

I don't about now, but in the later Clarke years many songs were performed in much lower keys anyway. So he probably wouldn't have to hit such high notes anymore...

Peter

PostPosted:Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:28 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

peterchecksfield wrote:
James Towill wrote:

I read a review of a Crosby, Stills & Gig a couple of months back, & the reviewer noted that both Crosby & Nash (despite being white haired 60-somethings) still had "the voices of angels", though apparantly Stills' voice hasn't aged as well. Of course, Graham wouldn't return in a million years without Allan, not even temporarily.

Hope I haven't drifted too far off topic...

I don't know how many Hollies fans agree with me on this, but I really can't stand CSN. They stole their sound from The Hollies, but the Hollies were far better at harmony vocals and I would venture to guess still are. We'll find out soon enough when the album comes out. I just could never get into Nash's work after The Hollies. To me it was too mamby pamby. The Hollies were right to reject a song like "Marrakesh Express". And "Our House" is another twee number I could never stomach. Didn't like any of the others either.
PostPosted:Fri Dec 30, 2005 16:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next