graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band » Personnel changes in Hollies and other bands
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Not to drag this out too much (and not that success matters!) but some people might find this interesting. The Romany album did not do especially well according to the Billboard figures I have #86 was not a great result for a Hollies album, a good result but not exactly a step forward. I don't think it can really be used to argue that the band were becoming an albums badn because other albums did much better but never changed the Hollies overall standing.

Evolution made it to #43 and then later He Ain't Heavy made it to #32. The bad often speak about the single He Ain't Heavy opening doors for them, so I guess, that big hit helped push up that album when it was released. They also played some American dates in '69 and Allan mentions in a contemporary interview that the album was selling very well.

Later Distant Light made #21 which seems pretty impressive. It got a lot of good publicity on the back of Long Cool Woman I think.

Then when Allan returned Hollies (74) made no. 28 again no doubt aided by the current single.

Michael
PostPosted:Sun Jan 08, 2006 15:24 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I'm still curious when The Hollies next toured the states after the Rickfors era. Did they tour to promote 'The Air That I Breathe'?

PostPosted:Sun Jan 08, 2006 15:52 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I'm pretty sure '75 was the next tour with Another Night. Dennis saw them so check his old threads for some comments.

Michael
PostPosted:Sun Jan 08, 2006 18:40 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yes, they waited too long to come back to the US, and it was only a very brief promotional tour for "Another Night". Although it was thrilling to hear Clarke with the band for the first time in 1975, the set list included things like "Just One Look", "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight", "Lucy", and "I'm Down", dragging the set down. Better in '72.
PostPosted:Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:22 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
marko661 Post subject: Boys in The band
Banjo

Banjo

I know it has been said before, but the important thing about the Hollies is that they have never split. There are so many revival groups out there from the 60's, 70's and 80's, but in almost all cases it is a case of one member using the name and calling the group after the old name.

I think when saying for example, that you prefer the line up with say Eric Haydock, what you probably mean is that you would love to see that group now, but as they were then: impossible obviously. If that group were to play today, I would guess that they would be pretty awful: graham's vocals were poor in 1983, so I doubt he could manage the high harmonies now, and other's have said that Allan's voice was starting to go well before he left.

I would love to have seen them in the 60's, and more in the 70's (probably my favourite preiod, as that was when I became a fan ( as Dennis has said, it is quite often when you first see a group that, that line up becomes your favourite), however, I am happy that I can still go and see them now, and believe me, they are still great to watch now.

Now when Tony and Bobby go (and it cannot be far away), I think that will be the time to end the name Hollies, but even then, I suspect I will take an interest in some of the newer members.
PostPosted:Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:19 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I think the Hollies always do things by two's when it comes to band members.
Mid to late 60's Eric and Graham Leave
Around 1980 Terry and Bernie both leave within a few days
mid 200's sadly Carl passes away and Alan Coates leaves the band.
I know others have come & gone but all the above are main members.
I always thought the Hollies were very lucky to have 3 members with the band in the late 90's from the very early 60's.
I know some say Tony and Bobby are not original members, but I don't think that way.
It's amazing to think the Stones still have 3 original members.

PostPosted:Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:03 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
marko661 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Quote:
I know some say Tony and Bobby are not original members, but I don't think that way.
It's amazing to think the Stones still have 3 original members.

Do people really say that about Tony and Bobby? That is crazy. The main thing about those two, is that they were there for all of the big hits.

I wonder if there is a group out there with all the original members, I mean how do you define when a group starts? In the Stones there are 3 original members apparently, but are there? Did the Rolling Stones start one day, ie: 5 people got together and said let's start the Stones, or as I suspect: did it form gradually and then one day, they thought this is now a group? I am pretty sure that Mick, Keith and Charlie, did not all start performing together at exactly the same time.
PostPosted:Fri Mar 02, 2007 15:57 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Dick Taylor, who later formed the Pretty Things, was in an early version of the Rolling Stones. I also believe that future Kinks drummer Mick Avory auditioned for the Stones at soime point.

PostPosted:Mon Mar 05, 2007 16:50 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Early Stones....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The very first accredited line up of "The Rolling Stones" was: Mick Jagger (lead Vocals), Keith Richards (guitar),"Elmo Lewis" (AKA Brian Jones !) (guitar),Dick Taylor (Bass guitar), Ian "Stew" Stewart (piano) and Mick Avory (Drums).
PostPosted:Mon Mar 05, 2007 17:16 pm

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 27, 2010 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Does anybody not consider Ringo an original member of The Beatles? Same with Bobby Elliott. Dan Rathbone, from what I gather, was better at driving the van than he was at drumming. Pete Best was given the sack for the same reason; lack of necessary drumming skills.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 05, 2007 19:03 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Originals....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I hate to say it but...No, Ringo was not the Beatles original Drummer....!

The Beatles Decca Audition has been issued as an LP and I have it...Pete Best is the Drummer throughout....And Pete is on the first few tracks (including the 6 June 1962 Abbey Road recording of "Love Me Do") before Ringo took over in August 1962...indeed there are also a few songs : "Hallelujah I love Her So", "You'll be Mine", and "Cayenne" which were home recordings in Liverpool 1960 that actually feature the late Stuart Sutcliffe....and can all be found on The Beatles "Anthology 1" album....
PostPosted:Mon Mar 05, 2007 22:50 pm

Last edited by Gee on Mon Jan 04, 2010 19:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: Re: Originals....
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff coles wrote:
I hate to say it but...No, Ringo was not the Beatles original Drummer....!

I think that was Dennis' point.
PostPosted:Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:48 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi,
Don can also be seen in the movie clip, Now's the time.
Don Rathbone, Pete Best & Tony Meehan were all parts of their groups history.
When does a band become a band and we can say that's the original line up. I'm sure Graham and Allan had a few members before they got in Vic, Eric and Don.
I just think all the members over the years have played their part in making the Hollies story.

PostPosted:Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:44 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

But I think the very first "Hollies" were Allan, Graham, Eric, Don and Vic. I think they were the musicians in the room when the name was decided upon.

I wonder was Vic Steele a good guitar player...
PostPosted:Tue Mar 06, 2007 13:30 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Early Hollies....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Per Peter Doggets's booklet in the "Long Road Home" box set Graham,Allan,Eric,Don & Vic started as : "The Dominators of Rhythm"( having previously guested with: Kirk Daniels & The Deltas Featuring Ricky & Dane Young ! ) ....and then changed their name to "The Hollies" in December 1962....Vic Steele was already an apprentice draughtsman which he did not want to give up, thus he left The Hollies just prior to their first test recording session for Ron Richards of EMI at Abbey Road Studios.
PostPosted:Tue Mar 06, 2007 15:21 pm

Last edited by Gee on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Boys In The Band
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic