graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

phoobingcamel wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:
I can't help being a little cynical about the current line-up (a bit like George & Ringo calling themselves The Beatles)...but having said that, it was better than I expected & I wish the guys luck.

As a matter of interest Peter, what is your view of the 1972 line-up when Mikael Rickfors was with the band?

The stuff I've heard is pretty good, & the difference then is that Bernie & Terry (as well as Bobby & Tony of course) did perform on many of the group's biggest hits. It certainly didn't sound the same with Mikael & Terry singing Allan's parts though.

I'm not criticising the musical abilities of various line-ups. Just the fact that without most of the originals (or members that played on many hits) then it's debatable whether the group really IS 'The Hollies' except in name. Someone pointed out on here that every member of The Hollies has played his part, & that's very true, just as every member of Wings or Paul McCartney's band have played their parts - but that still doesn't make them The Beatles...

To me, The Hollies will always be Allan Clarke first & foremost, just as Slade will always be Noddy Holder (despite the fact that two members are carrying on the name without him).

Peter

PostPosted:Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:13 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
chig Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

I think what makes The Hollies different to everyone else you've mentioned is that they have never split up - there has always been The Hollies and they have just evolved over the years. So in my eyes I can't see why they aren't The Hollies now any more than any other line-up over the past 40 plus years.

Everyone has their own personal favourite phase. I'm very optimistic about this line-up, I'd rather have them still touring than not. Judging by the audiences on the recent tour there are a lot of people thinking the same.

Allan had to retire as his voice had sadly gone and Carl tragically died - neither was avoidable and if Bobby and Tony still have the desire to go on then good luck to them.

PostPosted:Fri Dec 23, 2005 16:01 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

chig wrote:
I think what makes The Hollies different to everyone else you've mentioned is that they have never split up - there has always been The Hollies and they have just evolved over the years. So in my eyes I can't see why they aren't The Hollies now any more than any other line-up over the past 40 plus years.

Everyone has their own personal favourite phase. I'm very optimistic about this line-up, I'd rather have them still touring than not. Judging by the audiences on the recent tour there are a lot of people thinking the same.

Allan had to retire as his voice had sadly gone and Carl tragically died - neither was avoidable and if Bobby and Tony still have the desire to go on then good luck to them.

Some very good points here. I think in some ways it would've been preferable for Bobby & Tony to give their group a new name after Allan left, though I can understand why they wouldn't want to!

I suspect 'The Hollies' will continue in one form or another long after even Bobby & Tony have gone, just as groups like 'The Drifters' do. This I think will weaken their legacy in the long run, unlike groups like The Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin who I couldn't imagine ever continueing without their key members...

I'm not so sure that I want to go & see a Clarke-less Hollies in concert, as Allan's voice & charisma was what made the group (I can't help thinking that I'd be seeing a good tribute band rather than the genuine article!). But as I've said, I wish the guys the best luck in the world for 2006, & hope the new material is a big success.

Peter

PostPosted:Fri Dec 23, 2005 20:03 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

We've had all these points raised many times before and everyone is entitled to their own views.

However this has nothing to do with the topic which is the new songs. Please stay on topic or continue the discussion in one of the earlier threads.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Fri Dec 23, 2005 23:47 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Okay talking about the new songs/Album, so far I have heard three from the new album, I like the two from the cd the best, I think the one played on UK radio will need a few more listens from me.
Can I ask who picks the single, the group or the record co. I hope the group does a promo video clip for the new single, these days you really need them. I also hope the Hollies can line up a few TV spots early in the new year.
I know Peter Noone/HH has put out a promo DVD of 7 songs filmed in concert, it's great believe me, I just hope the Hollies can do the same, maybe a collection of some new material and one or two past hits. I really hope the Hollies and EMI push this new Album.
Bye,
Anthony

PostPosted:Sat Dec 24, 2005 0:46 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

OK, so I now have the 2-track CD single, and have listended to both songs a couple of times.

I like the new singer's voice. Rather like, dare I say it, Terry's (only a bit more soulful)

And, he's more than a little like the former lead singer of Jefferson Starship, Mickey Thomas.

Comments?
PostPosted:Wed Dec 28, 2005 23:20 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Well, I've listened to the new single several times now, & I've given it a chance. But it's no more than the kind of material Cliff Richard would record to please the grannies. It won't appeal to many people under the age of 35 (even those that love 'the hits').

PostPosted:Sat Jan 21, 2006 22:14 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Johngill Post subject: Capital Gold
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Well, the Hollies much-maligned PR strategy was in full swing this weekend on Capital Gold - the trailers for the Living legends gig were ongoing, there were people winning tickets, the single was being played - great to see the lads getting so much attention.
PostPosted:Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:35 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Boy it's terrible living in a non-DSL world. I've just got to step up to the 21st century! Yesterday I attempted to download the new single from the Capital Gold website and needless to say got nothing but sound bytes as the download prodded on endlessly. From what I could make of the song, it sounded like it had some potential to make the charts. I detected a beautiful melody and what seemed to be some nice guitar work from Tony. I even got to hear some sweet harmonies along the way. There's just no way around the problem, I've got to get DSL-ed.... Very Happy
PostPosted:Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:57 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
loenen16 Post subject: new single
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

dear friends
heard the new single several times on capitol gold on the internet
and what i do is to spread it around family and friends and any reactions from them
is as "so dam beatifull and there s one who say s the single one s heard stay s in my head and listening a couple off times it makes me cry because it make s me feel beatifull again "
and i think but thats personel that there s is a great change it can be a huge hit for the hollies
fact is that we understand english but have to listen very carefully in the netherlands
the most people hear it but listening is a bit different because it is not our main languish
but listening we do
and have a great feeling about it
and i understand the making of by ray stiles in what he writes in making off the album
greetings bernard
PostPosted:Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:05 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gasoline Alley Bred Post subject:

Seems it was all a hoax. If you can't hold the single, it does not exist. I do not call a downloadable track a single. Also as it is not eligible for the chart, even the official chart company agree that this is not a single.

Here we have the record company building up the hype, then losing faith at the last minute. It is quite clear that they must have no faith in the album, if they pull its promotional single. The chance of The Hollies being in the charts with new material in the 00s has gone. It's the record company to blame.

PostPosted:Thu Feb 09, 2006 19:00 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Gasoline Alley Bred wrote:
Seems it was all a hoax. If you can't hold the single, it does not exist. I do not call a downloadable track a single. Also as it is not eligible for the chart, even the official chart company agree that this is not a single.

Here we have the record company building up the hype, then losing faith at the last minute. It is quite clear that they must have no faith in the album, if they pull its promotional single. The chance of The Hollies being in the charts with new material in the 00s has gone. It's the record company to blame.

Yes, it all sems rather odd. The renewed interest in the band by EMI was rather suspicious in my mind, but the new album is still to come out - possibly they are waiting on the reaction to it BEFORE releasing a single?

PostPosted:Thu Feb 09, 2006 22:28 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

There was nothing hoax about it. The artwork was done and there was a catologue number for the release.

Unfortunately, the single did not make the BBC Radio 2 playlist (See Here) and I believe without this, the decision was made for a download only.

I can tell you that the Album is on course for the 20th. It is made and ready to go. I have a copy.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Thu Feb 09, 2006 23:13 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shelley Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks for that Rob.

It's a shame it couldn't make the list, but hey, we can't have everything can we.

Best of luck to the Hollies for the album though.
PostPosted:Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:54 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thought this may be of interest. The following guideline defines the criteria by which BBC Radio 2 determines their playlists. This can be found on the Radio 2 website.

HOW IS THE PLAYLIST SELECTED?

The Playlist Committee, made up of producers and chaired by Colin Martin, Executive Producer Music Radio 2, meet each week to decide which new releases will be added to the station's playlist.

The playlist contains about 30 tracks which are divided into three levels: A list, which receive the most plays, about 20 each week; B list 10 plays and the C list around 5 plays.

The Radio 2 playlist is one of the most varied of any radio station in the UK and can include albums as well as singles. Before any CD can be considered for inclusion it must be commercially available.
PostPosted:Fri Feb 10, 2006 16:31 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next