graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin' » UK R&R Hall Of Fame
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject: UK R&R Hall Of Fame
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I recently heard that the Kinks have been inducted into the UK Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. If that's the case, I would expect the Hollies enty to be a no-brainer. Any thoughts or comments?
PostPosted:Tue Nov 29, 2005 13:08 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yes, the event was shown on Channel 4 in the UK. Kinks, Pink Floyd, and The Who were all inducted this month. In all honesty, the Hollies were not as pioneering as any of these groups, nonetheless they strongly deserve to be included. certainly the Clarke/Hicks/Nash and Clarke/Hicks/Sylvester versions of the band. It was the original four-piece of Ray and Dave Davies, Quaife and Avory who picked up the Kinks award.

PostPosted:Tue Nov 29, 2005 16:29 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Must have been nice to see 4 original Kinks onstage. How often does the UK RRHOF nominate/select artists? If the Hollies can make it into the UK Hall that just might what's needed to get the attention of the US version. They have been so noticeably overlooked by both.
PostPosted:Wed Nov 30, 2005 0:22 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Well, the U.S. R&R Hall is a waste of space -- don't expect the Hollies to ever be inducted. They're too busy inducting performers in other areas of music who never even played rock-n-roll. Rolling Eyes

I certainly expect the Hollies to get into the UK version, and am actually surprised that they're not already in.
PostPosted:Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:34 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Hope2005 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

O.K, maybe The Hollies were never as big a group as say The Rolling Stones, The Beatles or The Who. But they have had so many hit singles and of course have a huge fan base so for these reasons they should be inducted into the U.K Hall of Fame

PostPosted:Thu Dec 01, 2005 14:16 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Hope2005 wrote:
O.K, maybe The Hollies were never as big a group as say The Rolling Stones, The Beatles or The Who. But they have had so many hit singles and of course have a huge fan base so for these reasons they should be inducted into the U.K Hall of Fame

I think alot of it comes down to the 'faceless' image that The Hollies have always unfairly had. I'm sure that many casual music fans who even go to their concerts couldn't name all of the classic 60s & 70s line-ups. Yet they'd know all of the original Who & Stones names.

Peter

PostPosted:Thu Dec 01, 2005 15:09 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yes, the US version is more like the Rock & Roll Hall of Shame, when you consider all the perfomers who are not in it. I personally don't get into this kind of thing anyway. It's the music that matters to me, personalities aside. But the US is more concerned with celebrities and so-called rock stars than music. Why else would lousy acts like Black Sabbath (with celebrity Ozzy) and Sex Pistols (with celebrity what's-his-name) be inducted this year, while scores of British Invasion acts far more worthy (including The Hollies) are continually ignored? Even The Dave Clark Five and Herman's Hermits (who sold a whole lot of records in the US) by all rights should be in, but of course they aren't media personalities, so they don't have a chance. As for Hollies fans, there are the true blue long-time fans (who post on message boards) and there are casual fans, who are far less informed.
PostPosted:Thu Dec 01, 2005 17:22 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Well said Dennis! At the end of the day these "halls of fame" are completely irrelevent anyway. They're just a big excuse for the music industry to congratulate themselves on who they think they have made celebrities. Its all about the spectacle as opposed to the music which is what really matters. I find all of these "music award" events completely irrelevant and useless anyway. If the fans had a vote or a say perhaps it would be different so until that happens, theres next to no chance of The Hollies ever getting a look in, in spite of their achievements and records sold.
PostPosted:Thu Dec 01, 2005 18:21 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Baz wrote:
Well said Dennis! At the end of the day these "halls of fame" are completely irrelevent anyway. They're just a big excuse for the music industry to congratulate themselves on who they think they have made celebrities. Its all about the spectacle as opposed to the music which is what really matters. I find all of these "music award" events completely irrelevant and useless anyway. If the fans had a vote or a say perhaps it would be different so until that happens, theres next to no chance of The Hollies ever getting a look in, in spite of their achievements and records sold.

I agree, they're absolutely meaningless. They're all about image, which is why groups like The Small Faces & The Velvet Underground get praised above bigger sellers like The Hollies, Dave Clark Five, Herman's Hermits, etc. But these aren't considered 'cool'.

Even Graham Nash in an interview a couple of years ago - when asked who were the coolest group out of The Byrds, The Hollies & The Buffalo Springfield, didn't hesitate to say "The Byrds!", adding something like "I'm very proud to have been in The Hollies but they were never cool"...

Peter

PostPosted:Thu Dec 01, 2005 19:42 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

In the end cool is nice but great music lives on.

PostPosted:Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:03 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I think The Hollies were very cool in the early '70s after Nash was gone. Their biggest hit had the word "cool" in it! I thought (and still do) that the Rickfors lineup was the coolest. That time period, 1972-3 is my favorite for bands, with quite a few that totally qualify as being cool. I don't give a rat's a#@ what Graham Nash has to say. He has aligned himself with the totally uncool David Crosby for so long that he can't even think clearly. As for quality of musicianship, The Hollies were far better than The Byrds. The 1966 "Big T.N.T. Show" has The Byrds in it, doing several numbers, and frankly, they were a lousy live act. Hardly "cool" if a band can't cut it live, I say. Compare that with The Hollies on the German TV doing "Look Though Any Window", "Very Last Day", and "I Can't Let Go". Absolutely incredible! Bobby Elliot is the greatest rock drummer of all time! There, I've said it, because it's the truth.
PostPosted:Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:19 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Dennis wrote:
I think The Hollies were very cool in the early '70s after Nash was gone. Their biggest hit had the word "cool" in it! I thought (and still do) that the Rickfors lineup was the coolest. That time period, 1972-3 is my favorite for bands, with quite a few that totally qualify as being cool. I don't give a rat's a#@ what Graham Nash has to say. He has aligned himself with the totally uncool David Crosby for so long that he can't even think clearly. As for quality of musicianship, The Hollies were far better than The Byrds. The 1966 "Big T.N.T. Show" has The Byrds in it, doing several numbers, and frankly, they were a lousy live act. Hardly "cool" if a band can't cut it live, I say. Compare that with The Hollies on the German TV doing "Look Though Any Window", "Very Last Day", and "I Can't Let Go". Absolutely incredible! Bobby Elliot is the greatest rock drummer of all time! There, I've said it, because it's the truth.

Dennis, you're preaching to the converted! Wink I couldn't agree with you more. The Byrds harmonies sounded rather wimpy to me, & you're right that they couldn't cut it 'live' either (nor could The Beatles to some extent).

I was certainly dissapointed to read Graham saying that.

Peter

PostPosted:Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:12 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Though I own and enjoy all of The Byrds albums, I do feel that though they were good, their reputation and status is overblown. Through much of the 60s they were indeed absolutely awful onstage... try and seek out their appearance at Monterey in 1967 for clear proof. Monterey also proves what a self indulgent egotistical idiot David Crosby was even at that point.

Then theres Michael Clark their drummer. He was notoriously known as being the "king of 4/4" because he couldn't play at all well in any other time and his work is very amateurish. Theres absolutely no contest between him and Bobby Elliott - Bobby wins hands down!

To be fair to The Byrds between 1969 and 1971 they did become a great live band but this was long after Crosby and Clark had left... but its this era when those two were in the band that is regarded and revered as their "classic" period which is what the hyperbole is judged upon.

Being directly connected with Bob Dylan I think played a large part in this in addition to the fact they were the first American band to copy the Beatle image. The Hollies for all their skills and talents are I guess just now dismissed as just another English group that followed in The Beatles wake. Unfair, but this seems to be how history is being written.

I have said several times in this forum and will say it once more... one only has to look at the existing live TV clips to see and hear how brilliant The Hollies were as a live band and they left most of their competitors - certainly The Beatles - dead in the water in that department.

Its an interesting point that the Rickfors line up is looked upon by some as perhaps being the "coolest" era of the band in various ways... I think I can agree with this to some degree. At the end of it all, these "halls of fame", polls and superlatives the music industry keep giving to the most obvious acts is pathetic and unfair and in my view prove that the music industry and most who write about it professionally simply are corrupted and don't know what they're talking about much of the time!

At least we all know and agree how great The Hollies and their legacy is even if these muso professionals refuse to accept or acknowledge it.
PostPosted:Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Quote:
Then theres Michael Clark their drummer. He was notoriously known as being the "king of 4/4" because he couldn't play at all well in any other time and his work is very amateurish. Theres absolutely no contest between him and Bobby Elliott - Bobby wins hands down!

That's right. Clark couldn't play well. Of course he can't compete in any way with Bobby. But their third drummer Gene Parsons was very good. I like his work for example on the album "Ballad Of Easy Rider" very much - he played very tight. And adding Clarence White as the lead guitarist helped very much to make them sound professional. This line up was technically the best they had and the albums they cut aren't as bad as some critics say in my opinion.

Quote:
Bobby Elliot is the greatest rock drummer of all time!

It's of course impossible to say that someone is the best of all time but he certainly was/is one of the best drummers in this kind of music. Other favorites of mine are Mitch Mitchel of the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Keith Moon of the Who and Mick Tucker of the Sweet who was incredibly good. I've tried to recreate some of his drum works but some things are just impossible to play for me - too fast and very precise.
PostPosted:Fri Dec 02, 2005 13:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Thank you Distant Light for confirming that the later line up of The Byrds were great - I should have mentioned the line ups' names - Roger McGuinn, Clarence White, Skip Battin and Gene Parsons. Great band and their live work heard on 1970s' "Untitled" album is excellent.

You also are right about the drummer debate. I think its impossible to say who is "the best rock drummer of all time". Bobby Elliott is certainly one of my true faves as is Keith Moon... my personal all time fave drummer is Tony Williams who was the drummer with The Miles Davis Quintet in the mid to late 60s... admittedly a "jazz" drummer, his work was extraordinary to jazz in the same way that Bobbys best work was extraordinary in his chosen area, of course in a different genre, pop/rock and it is interesting to note that Bobbys' drum heroes are all jazz drummers.

Mick Tucker of The Sweet is a very interesting choice - not a name one usually finds in great drummers list, but you are right... he was a great drummer too certainly helping drive the bands classic singles along in style. Then what about The Sweets' unique 4 part harmonies? I admit The Sweet may not be to everybodys taste or liking in this forum, but as I'm sure you'll agree, during their glory years with Brian Connolly, those harmonies were fantastic and unique to their sound as The Hollies harmonies are unique to theirs.

This is the thing... we all have out own favourites and whilst I do think Bobby Elliott is certainly one of the very best, one should never overlook the work of other great drummers... bassists... guitarists... vocalists and so on. It is about the combination of members and talents that make groups what they are!
PostPosted:Fri Dec 02, 2005 14:19 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin'
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next