graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin' » Unreleased Nash-Era Tracks?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject: Unreleased Nash-Era Tracks?
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Hi All,

Looking through the excellent 3-part 'Record Collector' feature from 1988, I noticed quite a few unreleased tracks from the Graham Nash era (& later). I know a few of these have been issued since then, but are the tracks below all still unreleased?

Fortune Teller (1963 version)
Searchin' (2 early versions)
Cry Me A River
Party Line
It's Raining Teardrops
Cry Now
You Must Believe Me (early version)
Honey & Wine (early version)
Stewball (in French)
You Know He Did (in French)
We're Through (in French)
Have You Ever Loved Somebody (3 early versions)
Like Every Time Before (early version)
Green Eyes (existence unconfirmed?)
You Know Babe (existence unconfirmed?)
Ashes To Ashes
You Were A Pretty Girl
Marrakesh Express (backing track)
Survival Of The Fittest (1968 recording)

Thanks!

Peter

PostPosted:Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:33 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Hi Peter.... glad you're enjoying the site and the forums - welcome!

Indeed it seems that the tracks on the list of recordings you submitted have indeed never seen the light of day. Quite a few items have been officially released since that excellent article was published notably on "Rarites", "The 30th Anniversary Collection" (which we never got in Britain) and "The Long Road Home" boxset, not forgetting the Abbey Road collections too.

As much as we'd love to hear all hese tracks, I think its now increasingly unlikely since EMI and The Hollies probably feel they have exhausted the supply of releasable outtakes from this era. Some of these remain unfinished... "Marrakesh Express" is sadly without vocals and some of these tracks I would imagine were songs they abandoned for various reasons.

"Schoolgirl" was in an unfinished state until Tony Hicks added a new guitar track in 1997 to "complete~" the song which was very welcome. I quite liked the "Hollies Sing Hollies" out-take "Sign Of The Times" but it is clear this was unfinished and a bit rough at the edges and I would imagine many of the still unreleased tracks exist in similar states but perhaps too rough to be given a quality release. After all, The Hollies have impeccable standards so its natural they wouldn't wish to soil that with unfinished tracks.

It is interesting and strange they attempted "Like Everytime Before" and "Have You Ever Loved Somebody" a few times before getting the final masters. It would be fascinating to hear those tracks.

The one item that is definitely crying out for release is the 1968 Lewisham Odeon live recording... maybe we will get to have this sometime in the future though I'm not holding my breath!
PostPosted:Wed Nov 23, 2005 13:12 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Baz wrote:
Hi Peter.... glad you're enjoying the site and the forums - welcome!

Indeed it seems that the tracks on the list of recordings you submitted have indeed never seen the light of day. Quite a few items have been officially released since that excellent article was published notably on "Rarites", "The 30th Anniversary Collection" (which we never got in Britain) and "The Long Road Home" boxset, not forgetting the Abbey Road collections too.

As much as we'd love to hear all hese tracks, I think its now increasingly unlikely since EMI and The Hollies probably feel they have exhausted the supply of releasable outtakes from this era. Some of these remain unfinished... "Marrakesh Express" is sadly without vocals and some of these tracks I would imagine were songs they abandoned for various reasons.

"Schoolgirl" was in an unfinished state until Tony Hicks added a new guitar track in 1997 to "complete~" the song which was very welcome. I quite liked the "Hollies Sing Hollies" out-take "Sign Of The Times" but it is clear this was unfinished and a bit rough at the edges and I would imagine many of the still unreleased tracks exist in similar states but perhaps too rough to be given a quality release. After all, The Hollies have impeccable standards so its natural they wouldn't wish to soil that with unfinished tracks.

It is interesting and strange they attempted "Like Everytime Before" and "Have You Ever Loved Somebody" a few times before getting the final masters. It would be fascinating to hear those tracks.

The one item that is definitely crying out for release is the 1968 Lewisham Odeon live recording... maybe we will get to have this sometime in the future though I'm not holding my breath!

Thanks Baz!

'Schoolgirl' is a fabulous track, & others that didn't deserve to be overlooked first time around are 'You In My Arms' & 'Man With No Expression'. I'm a little surprised that 'I Understand' was issued though (some of those notes on the piano are painful...). Some others such as 'She Said Yeah' are rather mediocre in my opinion, but certainly don't do their reputation any harm.

'Like Everytime Before' was given to The Everly Brothers, & 'Have You Ever Loved Somebody' was given to The Searchers, so maybe that's why The Hollies didn't release their own first recordings of these? I suspect they have similar arrangements to the Everlys / Searchers versions.

I was surprised that they issued the 1976 'live' recording (again) on the boxset instead of the Lewisham gig! 'The Times They Are A-Changin'' from this gig is in amazing quality (though a little surprising that it's in mono).

Peter

Incidentally, I compiled a sessionography / discography for Jerry Lee Lewis' official biography a few years back (a third of the book!). Session lists, setlists, etc really interest me.

PostPosted:Wed Nov 23, 2005 13:30 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I just hope that if the new album brings the Hollies some new attention, and I hope it does, maybe someone of EMI thinks "hmm... there isn't an official Hollies DVD, we could release one. Oh.., there are rarities unreleased and live concerts... maybe we could make some money with them!"
PostPosted:Wed Nov 23, 2005 14:58 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

DistantLight wrote:
I just hope that if the new album brings the Hollies some new attention, and I hope it does, maybe someone of EMI thinks "hmm... there isn't an official Hollies DVD, we could release one. Oh.., there are rarities unreleased and live concerts... maybe we could make some money with them!"

Yes, it's unbelievable that there's no full-length official Hollies DVD! There's so much great stuff out there. Those 1966-1967 'Beat Club' & 'Beat Beat Beat' appearances prove once & for all how great they were 'live'!

Peter

PostPosted:Wed Nov 23, 2005 15:33 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Indeed when I first saw the live Beat Club and Beat Beat Beat performances, I was absolutely blown away by how wonderful they were live at that time which is why the Lewisham Odeon show should be given a release as well as a definitive DVD compilation since theres a lot of great footage out there!
PostPosted:Wed Nov 23, 2005 17:50 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

http://www.hollies.co.uk/information.php?idx=59

This Hollies release does feature an early, alternate version of "Searchin'."

The disc is worth having just for that one song, which I don't believe I've seen released elsewhere.

(this was my first attempt to insert a picture, and I don't know if it'll work)

Laughing I guess it worked.
PostPosted:Sun Nov 27, 2005 14:11 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:

The disc is worth having just for that one song, which I don't believe I've seen released elsewhere.

OMG, you're right!!! This was actually the first Hollies CD (not LP) I bought. I noticed before that 'Searchin'' was in stereo, but I've just compared it to the take on 'At Abbey Road 1963 to 1966', & it is indeed different. Do you think it's from an earlier session?

Thanks for this!

Peter Very Happy

PostPosted:Sun Nov 27, 2005 14:30 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

peterchecksfield wrote:
SpartyScott wrote:

OMG, you're right!!! This was actually the first Hollies CD (not LP) I bought. I noticed before that 'Searchin'' was in stereo, but I've just compared it to the take on 'At Abbey Road 1963 to 1966', & it is indeed different. Do you think it's from an earlier session?

Thanks for this!

Peter Very Happy

I'd say it is from an earlier session, as Nash changes his lines a couple of times in the song.
PostPosted:Sat Dec 03, 2005 15:49 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin'
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1