graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Some thoughts about "Hope" and the new album
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject: Some thoughts about "Hope" and the new album
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

(I've only heard the sample of the "Hope" so that's the only basis I judge that song and the sound on!)

Well... the song "Hope" has a memorable tune and the second part of the sound sample (the one that begins with "whatever...") is a really good hookline but hmm... it's veeeery poppy and it completely lacks edge. I haven't heard the whole song and the sound quality isn't perfect on the sample and I wouldn't say that I don't like it a bit or that I wouldn't like a Hollies album with mostly that kind of sound at all but I would much prefer a rougher kind of sound and I really really hope that they at least on a few songs "rock" and kick some a**!

Thinking of it... when was the last time the Hollies recorded a rock song in the studio? "This Is It" from 1987 and "No Rules" (A Clarke/Hicks song(!!!)) from 1989? And after that? Only slick pop songs... "The Woman I Love", "How Do I Survive"? But there aren't that much recordings after that anyway.

And the last more rock orientated album... "Russian Roulette" from 1976? Afterwards there where only very few rocking moments on their albums.
When they release a poppy single it's OK because it has to be radio friendly and all that but a whole album with that kind of material?
Of course the Hollies are known as a Pop/Rock band but I guess that they forget more and more about the second component in the definition "Pop/Rock".

And yes, '60s albums such as "For Certain because" are very pop orientated but they always had a certain kind of edge, lots of charm and also a lot of experminets and interesting arranging ideas to make them stand out from the rest and after hearing that soundsample of "Hope" I'm a bit afraid that they have lost that "edge"...

... and if they don't write a single song themselves on the new album they would have lost a lot of their former magic anyway. I still find it hard to believe that the first album after over 20 years probably won't have any original material on it.

(But nevertheless I'm glad that they record a new album and I'm really looking forward to it.)
PostPosted:Fri Nov 11, 2005 17:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1