graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road » Best concerts
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
butterflybye Post subject: Best concerts
Banjo

Banjo

Were any members at the Apollo, Glasgow, in the mid-1970's when James Griffin (of Bread)was the supporting act? This was in conjunction with James Griffin's solo album entitled "Breaking up is easy". Interesting that Terry Sylvester and James Griffin have colaborated on some projects. If you were there, what did you think of the concert? Remember standing in the alley by the stage door after the show. Also, the Usher Hall in Edinburgh as a venue (with orchestra) was special.
PostPosted:Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:54 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I think I remember that concert.... it was only one of 2 that I ever went to... the other one was.... Cliff Richard! Embarassed Embarassed Did I actually admit to that one????

We had seats near the front which were terrible cos the stage was soo high, but it was worth a sore neck to see The Hollies! Very Happy It was an incredible gig and I enjoyed James' act! I think it was the one and only time I saw James Griffin live!

I particularly remember it cos I was expecting one of my girls.... was it Julie or Gayle? Dunno but it sticks in my mind that I was pregnant but still dancing and screaming for my fave stars!

I have to say that the first time the Hollies appeared in the Royal Concert Hall was the best concert ever! A whole gang of us were sitting in the balcony (NOT my choice I have to add) and not one of us sat still the whole way through.... it was amazing......

Does anyone remember the concerty they sang Amazing Grace? That was fantastic.... if my memory serves me right it was at the Apollo gig... I don't think I've ever been to a concert where the whole audience was soo engrossed in the music that you could have heard a pin drop.. The sang it without any accompaniment which proved how wonderful their voices are and always have been!

Shells
The Queen of Scottish Knits
xxx
PostPosted:Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:56 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Shells,
I think one of the best concerts was the Hollies in 1975, they sang Amazing Grace and Let it be, it was my first Hollies show. Loved their last show in Melb in 2001 also, never thought I'd ever see them again.
Loved the Eurythmics, Bee Gees, used to like Cliff's concerts but did not enjoy his show some years back and never went again. Seen a couple of dud shows over the years but don't think I should say who the bands were. Forgot Queen in 1984 gave a fantastic concert, but Hollies in 75 gets my vote.
Bye, Anthony

PostPosted:Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:40 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi All Exclamation

The first Hollies concert I went to was at Sydney's Hordern Pavillion in 1976 and they were absolutely Brilliant. I don't think they did Amazing Grace or Let It Be but they did do many of their hits and so album tracks. I also saw them in 1987 at The State Theatre and again with Carl at The Canterbury R.S.L Club in Sydney in 2001 and again they were brilliant. They have made the perfect choice in choosing a Singer to replace Allan Clarke. Carl has a good strong voice and really knows how to entertain and get the audience going. I was also lucky enough to meet all 6 guys after the show in 2001 and they were all gentlemen. Very Happy

I hope to see and hopefully meet them again in the not too distance future. Long live the best band ever, The Hollies. I love you all.

All the best

Susie

Razz Cool
PostPosted:Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:44 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Anthony

First Anthony I have to say that they've never, as far as I can remember, performed Amazing Grace since then although I've often written and asked that they do...... That concert was absolutely amazing. Very Happy

Actually, a bit like you, I've been waiting for 5 years to see them again, in Glasgow of course but thought it would never happen again. At last they are actually doing 3 dates in Scotland! Laughing Laughing Laughing

I've been to see the other concerts but that one in the 1970's has to be tops Very Happy

I love those guys soo much, may they play many more concerts here again
Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing

Shells
xxx
PostPosted:Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:08 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Chirpy Post subject: Amazing Grace sung live
Banjo

Banjo

Shells,
I think it would be a great song for the boys to sing live today - although it's not in the set list for the current tour. I think the lead vocal would suit Carl very well.

I've got a version of the boys singing Amazing Grace live - the quality of the recording isn't overly brilliant but the harmonies are Laughing

I envy those of you that got to see the Sylvester years live...must have been special...

Chirpy
PostPosted:Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:30 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Chirpy

Someone sent me a recording of Amazing Grace by The Hollies ages ago. It's amazing and the sound is fine on it.... mind you I don't know where it came from... whoever sent it, did so as a gift after they read a story I had written about The Hollies!

Anyway, how did you find out it's not on the set list this time around??? OOPS Embarassed you've been to see them already.... silly old moi! I wish they would perform it live and let us hear the wonderful arrangement that was done for them all those years ago... To me it proved what wonderful voices they have. As if they need to prove it! Very Happy

Terry Sylvester was a real fave of mine when he was in the band. He just slotted into the niche soo well.... sad he's not with him isn't it?

Shells
xxx
PostPosted:Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:17 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I think the best show for me would have to be Carlisle in 91. I was so stunned by their change of style since I'd last seen them in 79. While I still think the world of the band and their shows, I feel they've lost a lot of power in the 21st Century with Ian parker not featuring as much.
GordonJ
PostPosted:Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:43 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Chirpy Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

That's a fair point Gordon...but last night he featured very prominently when they did I can't tell the bottom from the top....but that is, I suppose, only one song!

The new version of Look through any window is stunning...a nice slow start, culminating in Hicksy hand becoming a blur on the fretboard...fantastic.

And also, the acoustic version of Listen To Me was brilliant...the hairs on my arms were standing up for England (substitute country as appropriate).

Also managed to use my digital camera to record a couple of tunes...in particular, It's in every one of us.

A good night all round!

Chirpy
PostPosted:Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:58 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Chirpy, that sounds very much like the 94 version of 'Look Through Any Window. That WOULD be a welcome return. Does the accompanyment bear any resemblence to Dire Straits' 'Sultans Of Swing'?
GordonJ
PostPosted:Fri Feb 13, 2004 17:07 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

Your straying off topic, I'm searching for my yellow cards Exclamation Smile

Rob
PostPosted:Fri Feb 13, 2004 20:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi all

Very Happy I was just telling Gordon about a write up I did about my experiences and reminisences about the Holllies... In it is included a bit about the concert in the Apollo/Greens Playhouse... You'll find it at this URL. http://www.bgarnett.co.uk/lightman/

If you click on Articles then REMINISCENCES OF A NIGHT TO REMEMBER WITH THE HOLLIES you can have a gander... to me that was the best night ever!
Cool
Enjoy! Laughing

Shells
xxx
PostPosted:Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:47 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road
graphic