The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin' » Mono Jennifer Eccles
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject: Mono Jennifer Eccles
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Hi Everyone.
Over the last ten years or so, EMI have reissued virtually the entire 60s catalogue in both mono and stereo forms (the only albums that never appeared in mono to my knowledge were the Holies Sing Dylan and Hollies albums since by 1969, stereo had become the norm in album terms)The mono singles can all be found on the excellent "At Abbey Road" series. However the one hit they didn't record at Abbey Road was of course, "Jennifer Eccles". so this is absent from those CDs.

My parents had the original 1968 Parlophone single, yet on every CD compilation I've encountered this song always appears in stereo. There is a definite difference between the stereo and mono mixes in that the mono mix goes on a fair bit longer than the stereo mix (if memory serves me right its about 30-40 seconds longer) Because I grew up with the mono single, the stereo always sounds "wrong" and incomplete to me! (even though its actually a nice well balanced mix in stereo and a particular fave of Bobby Elliott who felt the change of recording venue gave the song a nice crisp sound)

Is there any C D compilation anywhere that has "Eccles" in this original mono single mix? I admit the missing section is hardly exciting, but it would be nice to hear it again after all these years. It is the one gaping hole in my Hollies 1960s collection!

I would be most appreciative if anyone can help.
PostPosted:Sat Nov 05, 2005 15:33 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I've never noticed that before. A year or two ago I've bought a packet of Hollies singles on ebay and so I've got the "Jennifer Eccles"- single but since this isn't a favorite of mine, I've never listened to that single a lot.
On the sampler that I have with Jennifer Eccles on it (the Gold Collection), there is also the "short" stereo version but I like that one more because the 20-30 seconds it cuts out are those annoying lalalas so I don't mind that a bit.
PostPosted:Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:27 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Baz
Interesting question. I checked a lot of my CD compilations, everywhere was that stereo version - except on a German CD called Die grosse erfolge einer supergruppe (Polydor Club edition 179085). This is in mono, clicks in at 3.04 (although on the cover it says 3.10) while the stereo versions last between 2.40 and 2.50.
I believe it will be difficult to get a copy, but let me know if you want a copy.
PostPosted:Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:55 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Knut,

I'd buy that CD, as long as the price is a reasonable one.

Please let me know via PM or a reply here if you know of an Internet record store where this can be purchased.

One quesiton, though -- is this CD a Hollies release, or is it one of those "various artist" compilations?

Thanks,

Scott
PostPosted:Mon Apr 24, 2006 17:21 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Searchin'
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to: