graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » CD Sampler Review
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject: CD Sampler Review
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

If anyone should have a listen to the Hollies 2-song CD Sampler, please be so kind to post a brief review. I live in the US and probably won't be able to get my hands on a copy for some time. THANKS!
PostPosted:Thu Sep 22, 2005 20:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
KP Post subject: Re: CD Sampler Review
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

holliesfan wrote:
If anyone should have a listen to the Hollies 2-song CD Sampler, please be so kind to post a brief review. I live in the US and probably won't be able to get my hands on a copy for some time. THANKS!

A brief review - brilliant!!!

Okay a little more:

I'm sure someone will come up with a more in depth review, but my copy arrived today, and having listened to it a few times I really can't wait until February for the full album.

First observations: What a superb voice Peter has. He really can follow in the footsteps of the previous lead vocalists. A great production - without being over produced. And as we all would expect, great musicianship.

Of the two songs, Hope I think is a grower. Not immediately a Hollies song, but more a showcase for Peter - but the harmonies are still there.

Shine on Me was more immediate. Very much the Hollies sound - I can see this going down well live. I could imagine this being covered by a boy band in their usual lifeless fashion - but this is certainly not lifeless.

If this is typical of the other songs, there is plenty of life in the group to go on for a long time.

Roll on February!
PostPosted:Mon Sep 26, 2005 16:50 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thanks KP! Of the two tracks, is there any one that has chart potential? Are the songs of a ballad nature or are they more uptempo? Are the harmonies prominent enough to be reminiscent of that true Hollies style? I'd love to hear from others that have heard the CD Sampler. I've yet to order my copy.
PostPosted:Mon Sep 26, 2005 19:28 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
phoobingcamel Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Get it ordered holliesfan! Wink Both songs are fantastic! Hope is very commercial, up-tempo, full of hooks and is a classic Hollies song in my opinion - I can't stop playing it! Shine On Me reminds me of the 70's era Hollies and is a slightly slower song with a steady beat and again, has a great hook. I could see either of them as being potential singles but Hope has definite chart potential in my opinion (with the right promotion, as always).

Peter's vocal delivery is top-notch on both songs and the arrangements are spot-on with some great drums from Bob on Hope (not Bob Hope! Razz ). Two fantastic songs which are a great taster for things to come I think Very Happy

PostPosted:Mon Sep 26, 2005 20:47 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thanks Phoob...I'm actually sitting here salivating over the great reviews coming in. I'm awaiting word from Rob as to how much the total cost of the Sampler will be when I order it from here in the USA.

KEEP THOSE REVIEWS COMING!
PostPosted:Mon Sep 26, 2005 22:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
rob mclean Post subject: CD Sampler Review

I received my copy on saturday morning (just in time for my 45th birthday) and i love it!

I agree completly with the above reviews, both tracks are fantastic, but in my opinion shine on me has the most potential to be a single. Very catchy melody - cant get it out of my head.

Im going to see them on friday in bradford and on the strength of these two tracks I know im in for a great time!

Rob
PostPosted:Mon Oct 03, 2005 20:18 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject: CD SAMPLER REVIEW
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I've played mine over and over again and it's absolutely brilliant. My sons have even borrowed it so it must be good!
Can't we lobby EMI to put this out as a single. It's far better than the stuff currently in the charts at the moment.
Hollies Number One at Christmas? Well, I can dream!
PostPosted:Tue Oct 04, 2005 13:23 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

John raises a valid question. How does one go about getting EMI interested in putting out one of the Sampler songs as a single? Does anyone know the process for doing this? If the new songs are as good as everyone says they are, EMI MUST take advantage of this opportuinity. Is anyone listening?
PostPosted:Tue Oct 04, 2005 15:06 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi all,
Mine has been ordered, the reviews sound fantastic.
Maybe the lads can get a few spots on the Telly, who knows the Hollies may get back into the charts.

Postie Postie
Don't be slow
Be like the Hollies
and go man go
Bye,
Anthony

PostPosted:Tue Oct 04, 2005 22:22 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Johngill Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Could we get somebody like Wogan to play it? Perhaps if the show was sent a copy they would be happy to play it?
PostPosted:Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:32 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Martin Dodd Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Hiya Mate,
I bought a copy last night and paln to give it right good ole play of the Car Multi play CD on the way to The Hollies in Bradford gig on Friday. Cranking if up very loud of course!!

So I will post you a review up then,but I heard the songs performed live last night and can advise you they are class, but anyhow more on that later as I will post again once I have gave it a spin so to speak.

Martin
PostPosted:Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:17 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject: Hollies sound lost?
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yes, I agree that this is a very very good record, well produced, everyone doing their job. The songs could be better, and personally I prefer Shine on me with Tony's distinctive guitar. If I did not know this was a Hollies record, and someone played it for me, I would have put my money on that Hope was by Toto, just listen to the harmonies. That's a compliment, in fact, Toto have made brilliant songs like Rosanna. But does this sound like the Hollies with Allan Clarke? No.
PostPosted:Thu Oct 06, 2005 19:26 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
phoobingcamel Post subject: Re: Hollies sound lost?
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Knut wrote:
But does this sound like the Hollies with Allan Clarke? No.

No, I agree, it most certainly doesn't. It sounds like The Hollies with Peter Howarth Wink

PostPosted:Fri Oct 07, 2005 19:43 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hello Phoobingcamel
I must admit the CD single grows on you. I will play it regularly before the Royal Albert Hall show, and by then I guess I will recognize it as a true Hollies release. I appreciate they have to go on and take the best from the past, but also renew the sound, taking the best from the new players. After all we do not need a cover band sound.

I really enjoyed the shows fronted by Peter in Manchester and Buxton last autumn, so I really have no problems with his voice.

Knut
PostPosted:Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:21 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I give it the thumbs up. Two nice songs, well produced. A lot better than The Woman I Love and How Do I Survive. More in line with their better early '80s efforts.

I expect some people won't like it because it is too pop and I'll guess the whole album will be similar, a collection of smooth pop songs. That's fine by me. The times and the people have changed. The Hollies have always been a pop chamelon.

As to particulars, Peter's singing is very similar to Terry Sylvester's IMO, Shine On Me is my favourite of the two and I just love the way Tony Hicks plays the melody line of the song, just like a '60s guitarist should. These songs are not very harmony orientated, perhaps some of the other ones are.

I hope one of the other songs is a little bit harder because I would like to hear Ray Stiles' bass more prominently. From some live recordings I've heard he seems to have a fairly robust style of bass playing.

~Micheal C.
PostPosted:Tue Oct 11, 2005 19:13 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic