Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Is the following the entire setlist for the ABC In Concert Show:

Bus Stop
Carrie Anne
Long Dark Road
Long Cool Woman
He Ain't Heavy

Were there other songs performed? This sounds like a very short setlist. Was the show an hour long including ads?

Micheal
PostPosted:Mon Sep 12, 2005 17:19 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yes, it was the 5 songs you mentioned, but in the following order:

1. Long Dark Road
2. Carrie-Anne
3. Bus Stop
4. He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother
5. Long Cool Woman (in a Black Dress)

ABC "In Concert" was a 90-minute show, usually with 3 different acts, each playing a mini-set. That's why it's only 5 songs. This live recording is my all-time favorite.
PostPosted:Tue Sep 13, 2005 16:25 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
sagittoo Post subject:

Dennis will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the ABC show on American TV was called "In Concert". It was a simulcast where one could hear it on FM radio. I think there's a box in top of one of my closets that still has that reel to reel tape of The Hollies on that nite. I wonder if it held up. The weekly show was actually quite unique as it was so underproduced by today's standards. That was its charm.

I remember the nite they showed the English band Slade. They were a glitter show rock band that relied more on show than music. The live audience wasn't buying it and the TV viewers got to watch them die a slow death.

Tommy in L.A.
PostPosted:Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:07 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yes, Slade didn't do so well on that side of the Atlantic, but they were the most successful band post-Beatles on this side of the pond. I think they are very underrated and produced some fine pop/rock songs.

Baby Baby Baby....... Laughing

PostPosted:Wed Sep 14, 2005 15:08 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I never got Slade and I never got Mud either I think they are somehow quintessentially British or just very local. I don't know.

I thought the ABC set list might be longer because Cat Stevens did a much longer show there, I didn't know that they had more than one act a show.

Micheal
PostPosted:Wed Sep 14, 2005 15:56 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I know for a fact that this particular show had The Hollies doing the 5 songs. I have the original ad for the show, as well as the audio. The other acts were Loggins & Messina and Billy Preston. The Cat Stevens show you mentioned may have been only him for the entire 90 minutes. (He was very popular at the time.) But most of the broadcasts were with 3 different acts. Yes, Slade made a number of trips to the US, once playing as headliners, the other times as the second or third act on a bill. They never got any airplay here until the early '80s with their hit "Run Runaway", which was a bit more melodic and not as raucous as their 70s work. I thought they made some good records but they were just too obnoxious as a live act. Plus, glitter rock wasn't all that big over here; remember, even bands like The New York Dolls and T. Rex had a rough time with some audiences. The problem was radio play was limited for some of these acts, and that didn't help. It was an AM vs. FM radio battle, with some groups losing out on both. Incidentally, The Hollies got the most FM radio play they ever got with the "Romany" album. I have a page from Cashbox magazine showing the album listed on several FM stations.
PostPosted:Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:19 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
sagittoo Post subject:

It's nice to see 2 completely different takes on Slade from Micheal and James. I was basing my opinion on the few songs they played on American TV and what do I know? I believe they actually began as a short haired band. I guess that didn't work and they went glitter.

That's interesting, Dennis that the Hollies Romany album got the most FM airplay.

What's this about Tony and Bobby downplaying the hit era? Is it that their music in the 70s, though not heard by many aside from the hits, was that much better? The cuts I've heard from Distant Light and Another Nite were miles above the album cuts I heard from the stuff they recorded in the 60s. I remember a quote from Keith Richards in the 60s where he said something to the effect....the problem with that band was Graham was the only one getting stoned while everyone else was straight Manchester stock.

Tommy in L.A.
PostPosted:Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:22 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

We're touching some interesting ground here regarding how glam rock acts from the UK generally failed to make an impression in the US. Its interesting to read about the radio play business.

What is interesting regarding all the glam acts (which I grew up with and loved) is that only David Bowie made any impression in the US, but in order to do that, he had to kill of Ziggy Stardust since its believed the Americans found it a bit too extreme. When he did his infamous and legendary "Diamond Dogs" tour in 1974, he became huge and more acceptable since he had severely toned down his image!

I'd never heard that amusing Keith Richards quote before! He did hit the nail on the head there too since Nash was the only pot smoker in the band. Its interesting to see how Graham Nash blossomed and changed once he got into that scene... he grew that beard, started hanging out with many other stars and groups, whilat it seems to me the rest of the band were isolated by that. Of course in the eyes of the "swinging London" crowd, Nash would have been looked on as being hip and cool whilst the rest were uncool and square. So, inevitably there was more than just musical differences involved when Nash left the band.
PostPosted:Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:05 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Regarding Nash and the "pot smoking", he himself made derogatory remarks about the band following his exit. It did not help with the "hip" issue. However, The Hollies had their chance to change that in 1973 when Clarke rejoined. The two tracks they initially recorded were "The Day that Curly Billy...." and "Mexico Gold". The latter is a song clearly about pot. It's too bad that they didn't release it at least here in the US instead of "...Curly Billy...", which didn't stand a chance due to it sounding much too like "Long Cool Woman". Somebody made the wrong decision in that regard. "Mexico Gold" would have helped erase that stigma of the band being somehow "unhip". Personally, I couldn't care less about such things, but some people obviously do. I've always loved The Hollies for their music, the best of which is truly thrilling. (Mind you, I am a long-time pot smoker myself! Saw The Hollies in 1972 and had a joint passed to me during the concert. Ah, the good ol' days.)
PostPosted:Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:24 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Hello Dennis
Indeed Graham Nash didn't help matters following his exit from The Hollies and it must have been reading such remarks which spurred Allan to write "My Life Is Over With You" if the song really is about Nash which most of us believe it is.

You're spot on about "Mexican Gold"! Great song and I always felt since hearing it in 1988 that the wrong song was chosen since "Carzy Billy" is "Long Cool Woman Part 2" in all but name.

My own theory about the release of "Crazy Sam" (I can never remember the full title!) is that since "Long Cool Woman" marked the end of Allans' first phase with The Hollies, perhaps they felt they should carry on exactly where they left off... which is most unfortunate since in effect it is like totally dismissing the Mikael Rickfors era, which Tony and Bobby have indeed done since.
Take Care.
BAZ
PostPosted:Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:18 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Baz,
Very astute remarks. "Mexico Gold" was a perfect opportunity to counter the "unhip" image they may have had. It was an opportunity lost. Another track that should have come out is "Tip of the Iceburg". Wow, what a great record. What made them leave that in the can as well? Who knows. Those two tracks should have come out as singles. And let's not forget "If It Wasn't for the Reason", another stellar track left on the shelf. As for Tony and Bobby disregarding the Rickfors era (I think it is more from Bobby than Tony), they are in effect shoving not only Rickfors but Terry Sylvester and Bernie Calvert aside as well. The Rickfors era is a special one and highly regarded by many Hollies fans. The proof is in the music and the video performances (few as they are) that exist, as well as those of us lucky enough to have seen the band live in '72 and '73. I think it is a terrible shame that they have such a callous attitude. It is enough for me to not want to fully support the band as it exists today. The former members of The Hollies contributed a great deal to the group's art. Tony and Bobby should have nothing but good things to say about their past, but they apparently see things differently. They fail to realize their legacy IS their past. I am curious as any fan would be to hear what they sound like today, but we, the fans, are left to salute Allan Clarke, Mikael Rickors, Terry Sylvester, Bernie Calvert, and Eric Haydock (oh, and that Nash fellow, too) for their talents. I will continue to fully appreciate the band's legacy, which will always be their glory years of the '60s and '70s.
PostPosted:Wed Sep 21, 2005 20:27 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Yes, I do find it strange how ex-members get short shrift. Its such a shame because each and every one of them brought something special and unique to their period in The Hollies. Sadly, I was born in 1972, so never got the chance to see them live with Rickfors, Sylvester or Calvert. I've been most impressed with the few bits of footage I have seen with Mikael and "If It Wasn't For The Reason" is a top track that deserved a better fate as well as the others you have mentioned.

I can understand to a slight degree that Bobby and Tony may have misgivings about the Rickfors era, but to completely dismiss it is wrong because if anything it forms one of The Hollies more intriguing chapters and from what I've read in these pages, I envy everyone who got to see this line up live. Its also sad there apparently remains bad blood between Tony and Terry Sylvester and it seems that Bernie sides with Terry too. Not the best of thanks for the services and excellent talents each of them brought to the band.

I guess it will never happen but wouldn't a double CD collection rounding up all the Mikael Rickfors era recordings be fantastic? Here in Britain, we never even got the 1973 "On The Road" album and as far as I know, its never been released in any form here either which is a real shame.

Like yourself, though I look forward to hearing their new material, it is their past work which is why we're all here on this forum and that wouldn't have been such a legacy without each and every member that was in the band. Its also sad I think how Eric Haydocks' bass work gets overlooked... when I listen to the early works, his bass work was pretty stunning for its time.

It goes without saying that a cursory glance at these forum pages proves that Terry, Bernie, Mikael , Allan Clarke and even the late great Carl Wayne, are all remembered and most desevedly so, with nothing but true love and affection.

I'm a big fan of King Crimson and for many many years theres been bad blood between many ex-members and leader Robert Fripp and its very heartening to know that now with the notable exception of two members, they have all patched up their differences and Fripp, never one to give praise easily, readily acknowledges what each and every member brought to the band including Greg Lake and Boz Burrell, the two members who remain at loggerheads with him. Its a shame its not quite the case with the Hollies... but I guess, to quote the tired old cliche, "thats rock n'roll!"
PostPosted:Wed Sep 21, 2005 21:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I think Tony seems pretty fond of the Rickfors era. After all he did pick Mikael and maybe he liked having another guitarist around.

I get the impression that Tony isn't in the slightest bit sentimental and always talks about how good the changes in the band have been. I'd say, generally, the man's attitude is to look forward not back.

Michael
PostPosted:Thu Sep 22, 2005 0:00 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Good point Michael - I do hope Tony has some fondness for the past, but in a world and business that often suffocates under nostalgia, to be forward looking is positive and perhaps brave. It probably explains why The Hollies are in the interesting position of not doing those 60s package tours and have a new album coming out on a major label. How many groups apart from the Stones originating from the 1960s can boast such credentials?

I wasn't too sure who it was who had picked Mikael Rickfors for the band - thanks for clearing that up since it does put things in a different light. Whatever we say or think, I think it perhaps proves that Tony Hicks is the "heart" of The Hollies since he did get them to continue through the traumas of Clarkes' departures, continued to find new songs and songwritersand musicians for the band... he has kept them moving. Look at the live show - they have had plenty of hits to put together an unbeatable set-list, but they do move away and do new material or give other songs that Hollies touch - I admit I was impressed with the live version of "Riders On The Storm" thats in circulation.

One should always look to tomorrow since today will be yesterday tomorrow when it comes!
PostPosted:Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:30 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the Rickfors period was a very interesting chapter in the band's history and one which deserves more recognition. It seems to me from comments made in interviews and published invarious sources that Bobby dismisses this period, but Tony isn't so quick to do so.

PostPosted:Thu Sep 22, 2005 22:29 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2