graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Rare Hollies TOTP Pic Unearthed
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject: Rare Hollies TOTP Pic Unearthed
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I am a member of the "missing episodes" forum devoted to lost archive TV. One of its contributors has been assembling a fascinating collection of rare images of lost Top Of The Pops performances. One of his latest discoveries is a lovely colour picture of The Hollies performing "Jennifer Eccles" on the show. I've never seen this photo before and I thought it may be of interest to some of you. Its the second pic down at the moment.

http://gaztotp.blogspot.com

Hope you enjoy this and find it of interest.
PostPosted:Mon Sep 12, 2005 13:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Some other great photos there, as well! Other than the LP/CD itself, that page has the only picure I've ever seen of two personal heroes, Georgie Fame and Alan Price, performing together. Coolness indeed...

PostPosted:Mon Sep 12, 2005 15:06 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The BBC screened it's Georgie Fame- Alan Price concert a couple of months ago. I missed it.

I like Alan Price. Well, I like his music.

Micheal
PostPosted:Mon Sep 12, 2005 16:32 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Baz,
What a great photo of the lads, I also enjoyed some of the other photos. Great find,
Many thanks,
Anthony

PostPosted:Mon Sep 12, 2005 22:22 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

You're very welcome Anthony, and everyone whos enjoyed seeing these pics. I'm glad they have been enjoyed, and I now hope that there will be more finds along similar lines.
PostPosted:Tue Sep 13, 2005 20:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Lovely photo of The Hollies Baz. I have them singing Jennifer Eccles (in Black and White) on a video that has various artists from 1968 on it.

I also see that some of my other favourite performer such as Sweet and Mud are amongst the photos too.

Best Wishes

Susie

PostPosted:Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:59 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Thank you Susie! I'm glad you enjoyed those pics... its a cool collection of photos and hopefully there will be more added every so often. In the Missing Episodes forum we regularly lament the loss of old Top Of The Pops shows as well as other shows long lost. Here in the UK, there are a hardcore bunch of fans and collectors of which I am one, who are attempting to locate lost footage, images, memorabilia and audio recordings from these shows.

In the last week there has been much said about Muds' Top Of The Pops appearances, with many reminiscing about the ones that have been lost. Mud were always fun to watch and each time they did the show, they'd always do something different. Its a golden age in pop music history where there was a huge fun element and it was very popular in Britain largely because in the early to mid 70s, we were forever blighted by power cuts and strikes, and things did feel a bit gloomy.

Therefore when one could watch Top Of The Pops and see acts like Mud, Sweet, Slade, Wizzard, Alvin Stardust and many more of the glam era, it would brighten up our lives and allow us to forget the political and social turmoil we were under.

I often watch videos of whats left and when you compare it to whats on Top Of The Pops these days, I feel sorry for the youngsters of today since they don't really have any modern day equivalents to acts like those in the glam-era... sad, but there you go! At least we can still enjoy some of this stuff all these years on! Very Happy
PostPosted:Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:16 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I find the history of missing TV interesting too. Oficially what do the TOTP have from the Hollies?

Gasoline Alley Bred & Curly Bill.

I know Just One Look and Sorry Suzanne are out there but do the BBC hold them? The same goes for He Ain't Heavy.

Then the BBC sent tapes to a German show called DISCO if an artist couldn't appear? Hey Willy survives in this form.

It would be interesting to make a list of all the footage that exists if anyone is into that kind of thing...

The Hollies also apparently did Survival of The Fitest on TOTP. I thought only charted singles were done on the show?

Micheal
PostPosted:Fri Sep 16, 2005 13:12 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Hi Michael and those of you interested in whats left of The Hollies on Top Of The Pops. All the clips you mention have survived... from 1964 to 1973, this is what the BBC have...

Just One Look (1964)
Sorry Suzanne (1969)
He Aint Heavy Hes My Brother (1969 though this featured in a show called "Pop Goes The Sixties" which was near identical to TOTP anyway)
Gasoline Alley Bred (1970)
The Day Crazy Billy... (1973)
And thats it! Indeed the TOTP performance of "Hey Willy" survives in Disco 71 which regualrly screened TOTP clips, and indeed they have much unique material, yet for some strange reason, the BBC don't have these clips, nor are they remotely interested in getting copies back! A criminal state of affairs! The "Hey Willy" clip is rather raucous and its the only time I've ever seen Tony Hicks sporting a moustache!

As for "Survival Of The Fittest"... in 1970, TOTP producer Johnnie Stewart left the show for a while. The show was extended to 45 minutes and an "album spot" was introduced. The idea behind this was that there were many bands who were releasing albums exclusively and not singles. Whats more, the "album" as an art form thanks mainly to the Beatles was then being taken very seriously, so TOTP decided to feature a spot where each week, an act would perform 2 or 3 numbers off their latest album.

The Hollies latest was then "Confessions Of The Mind" and they performed "Survival" and "Too Young To Be Married", which was not released as a single in Britain. I cannot remember where I read it but apparently the performance of "Too Young" brought the TOTP studio to a standstill and some of the audience stood transfixed and genuinely engrossed in this lovely song. Sadly, it no longer exists.

The album spot was axed when Johnnie Stewart returned in 1971 because he felt it was not relevant to his original concept of the show which was to showcase the popular singles of the day. A handful of shows have survived from this period and the BBC have album spots by Badfinger, The Four Seasons (who basically did a greatest hits medley), The Strawbs and The Faces. "Album spots" that have been lost include appaearances by Yes, Tom Paxton, Blodwyn Pig, and various others I've forgotten, most of whom would never have appeared on the show otherwise.

Interestingly, there was serious talk two or three years back of reviving the album spot since albums now outsell singles and therefore are more "top of the pops" than singles!

There is a long fascinating history book on the show waiting to be written. Keith Badman who has written excellent reference books on The Beatles, Smallfaces and The Beach Boys has been resposible for recovering various lost performances from overseas and it is his ambition to write this book, but for some reason, the BBC won't let him and so we got the dire 40th anniversary book that was absolutely useless and riddled with inaccuracies.

A real shame. Crying or Very sad
PostPosted:Fri Sep 16, 2005 14:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Terry Steer Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

The BBC showed the "Just One Look" clip on the BBC4 show "Sounds of the Sixties" two weeks ago. The lads were wearing dark suits with brocade trim around the lapels. It was of course in black & white.

Terry[/img]
PostPosted:Fri Sep 16, 2005 17:15 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I've seen He Ain't Heavy introduced by Jimmy Saville. A different one from the usual that we see so I presume this is TOTP.

I wonder do Disco have more TOTP Hollies? Oh to see Survival live and Too Young Live!

Baz, do you have any idea what the set list on The Hollies Colour Me Pop episode was?

Micheal
PostPosted:Fri Sep 16, 2005 18:00 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Hi Michael!
"Pop Goes The Sixties" was hosted by Jimmy Saville and a German lady since this show broadcast in the final hours of the 1960s' was a co-production between the BBC and ZDF. This is also the source for The Kinks performance of "Days", Maramalades' "Ob La Di Ob La Da" and Tom Jones' "Delilah" as well as The Rolling Stones' "Honky Tonk Women" and "Gimme Shelter" as seen on "Sounds Of The Sixties". Interestingly, the Tom Jones performance was lifted from a 1968 edition of TOTP and "Ob La Di" was repeated from the TOTP Christmas Day special of 1969 and I also think the "Honky Tonk Women" clip was in that show too.

Sadly, Disco 2 have no other Hollies TOTP clips that we know of since they did appear on the show in person several times.

As for the "Colour Me Pop" show, I'm afraid this is one of the big mysteries we're still trying to fathom out on the Missing Episodes group! Of course, this was wiped and no offair audio recordings have surfaced either, so what was played remains a mystery, unless someone here might be able to help. It was recorded and broadcast at an interesting time... this show was primarily a chance for artistes to perform tracks from their latest album, though the show featuring The Move which has survived had them doing a mixture of material from their career up to that point. When The Hollies did the show, they didn't have an album out... the last album had been "Butterfly" and its rather unlikely they would have played anything from that, so I would guess, like The Moves' show, they probably performed a selection of numbers from their live set of the time.

As for the TOTP album spot... yeah, I really wish we could be able to see that again... I love those two songs and they were probably performed with live vocals too. Such a loss! Argh!
PostPosted:Fri Sep 16, 2005 19:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

A big deal was made out of the other BBC special around then. I think the Hollies must have wanted to establish the Sylvester line- up in the public mind. There seems to have been a good bit of hype about it in MNE, so maybe one might find a review in that magazine.

Was Colour Me Pop before or after the BBC Concert?

Also, was Colour Me Pop really live or just the vocals? From what I've seen of The Move and The Small Faces the vocals were live but not the instruments? Ditto for The Moody Blues?

Again the little I've seen of the BBC concert makes it hard to tell if it's live or not. I really don't like the setting for that, they seem so removed from the audience.

Lastly, Baz, I think to find footage of the band or last shows somebody really has to look for it, no? Think of Dr. Who etc. so many dedicated fans and collectors and "the restoration team" etc. Hollies material is essentially orphaned because its really of interest and value to the band and not to the beeb. Am I way off here?

Micheal
PostPosted:Sun Sep 18, 2005 14:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Hello again Michael!
The BBC concert as you pointed out, features Terry Sylvester, so it dates from 1969, sometime during the summer I believe. The "Colour Me Pop" show was mid 1968, so was one of the very rare times the Graham Nash era line up could be seen in full glorious colour.

"Colour Me Pop" indeed appears a bit confusing. From whats left, the Smallfaces and The Bonzos certainly performed live vocals on top of backing tracks, whilst The Moody Blues mimed completely. One lost show featured Giles Giles and Fripp and they made their oen home made recordings which they took to the BBC to mime to...

It seems to have alternated... the show featuring the Move is a mixture... some songs seem to be totally live and others live vocals only. The show did actually leave the BBC studios on a handful of occasions. They featured The Nice in concert from Croydon and another live show was split between the Alan Price Set and Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger and The Trinity. More sickeningly, the only time the original line up of Jethro Tull performed live on Colour Me Pop, again recorded in concert has long gone from the archives...

I don't think any editions of CMP went out live. I know in the case of The Smallfaces, they taped their show that afternoon and was broadcast later that evening and the live concert specials also appear to have been filmed in advance. Sadly, I do not know whether these outside broadcasts were filmed on videotape or film.

You are indeed correct about the "value" of this material. I mentioned Keith Badman in an earlier post and he has trawled through European TV archives and found some lost TOTP material, but the BBC are not intrested in these for some reason. When TOTP2 was still on air, I think we all got pretty sick of seeing the same old few remaining clips being shown again and again (I lost count of how many times I saw the Sonny and Cher one!) so, some of these lost clips would have been ideal to liven things up, but...

"Doctor Who" as you have pointed out has a huge base of fanatics and so when episodes turn up, they are guaranteed to sell when released on video or DVD. That show remains a nice little earner for the BBC especially when one bears in mind how little it cost to make it! TOTP material on the other hand is a different ballgame entirely...

There was a "40th Anniversary" DVD last year of TOTP and from what I know, this has not sold at all well and future TOTP DVDs look rather unlikely. Also the compilers of that DVD had major headaches because they were unable to use many classic clips thanks to copyright reasons and being refused permission from the artistes. So for the BBC, TOTP makes a loss after all the clearances etc.

What material that does get discovered from TOTP in future I think will likely be restricted within fans like ourselves to enjoy and collect. If for instance several TOTP clips were found next week featuring say, Tom Jones and Engelbert Humperdinck, then only their fans are going to be interested in seeing this material... I most certainly wouldn't, yet if a Hollies clip turned up its unlikely Humperdinck and Jones fans would be interested...

Take Care.
BAZ
PostPosted:Sun Sep 18, 2005 15:10 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Oh, CMP was with Nash. I didn't know that.

They did a radio session, I guess, around the same time one of those Brian Matthews shows they did:

Jennifer Eccles
The Games We Play
Pegasus
Charlie And Fred
King Midas In Reverse
Wings (an alternative version, with arguably better lyrics)

They had the support of Johnny Scott and orchestra in the studio. So, if Colour Me Pop was anything like that... we sure are missing out.

My point, again, is a lot of even 70s Hollies shows appear to be lost and they will be lost unless somebody really wants to find them.

Micheal
PostPosted:Sun Sep 18, 2005 17:21 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic