graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road » Hollies in USA, Canada, and Australia 1970
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Hollies in USA, Canada, and Australia 1970
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Would like to hear from anyone who caught the band in the USA, Canada, or Australia in early 1970. The facts are vague about any appearances in the USA at this time but apparently they did some shows on the east coast. I would assume they also hit Canada as "He Ain't Heavy" went to No. 1 there. In Australia, there was the TV special (anyone know the title of it?) with great live covers of "Woodstock" and "Let It Be". Details anyone? (We're obviously not going to get any info from Tony or Bobby, as they seem to not care at all about their own history.)
PostPosted:Sun Sep 04, 2005 2:57 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject: Re: Hollies in USA, Canada, and Australia 1970
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Some non- information from me Dennis:

Woodstock and Let It Be were also performed on the Australian TV special in '70 or '71 and Woodstock was performed at the show they recorded for a live album in '71 in Singapore. So I guess this was very much their set at the time.

As the Aussie TV show is reportedly lost it would be great to think the one you describe still survives.

Here is Allan Clarke talking about that American tour:

" The first album of our own stuff we did, ' Hollies Sing Hollies.' has given us a really big push in the States. It's high in the charts there at the moment, and in fact we've only just got back from touring over there.
" It was a great tour, yeah . . . and with our own songs to promote, we had a lot going for us. But we'd been out of that one-night concert university thing for about two and a-half years, and if anything, we found the audiences a little harder to please. Not that I mind that so much. Sometimes there's satisfaction in having to work that little bit harder."

Micheal
PostPosted:Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:27 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

The Aussie show is floating around among collectors in audio only. It's quite good. I love their version of "Woodstock", where they really rock out with the song in a way CSNY only hinted at. "Let It Be" is fine, even if I don't really care for the song that much. They also did a tune called "Blood Red Roses" with some sterling harmonies.
The album Clarke referred to was issued in the US in an abridged form with "He Ain't Heavy" added as the title cut. It did fairly well on the album chart here in the States, peaking at #32. Interesting that they played colleges; a friend of mine said that's what they should have done in '72. Concerts at colleges are usually well-attended.
PostPosted:Sun Sep 04, 2005 15:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1