graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road » Hollies on tour in USA 1972
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Hollies on tour in USA 1972
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Would like to hear from anyone (like myself) who saw The Hollies on tour in the USA in 1972 when they had Mikael Rickfors in the band. Please state where you saw them & your reaction.
PostPosted:Sun May 29, 2005 1:41 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Dennis,
Doesn't look like anybody else has seen that tour of the states. I know when Mikael toured here (Australia) I was a bit too young to go to see the band plus I would not have had anybody to go with.
Can anybody tell me if Mikael with the Hollies ever toured England, I don't believe they did but not too sure.
Bye,
Anthony

PostPosted:Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:39 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Anthony, I've never heard or read anything about the Rickfors line up touring the UK. I don't know if they even did Germany. One thing I did notice about the American tour was they had a really good set list.
All the best
GordonJ
PostPosted:Sun Jun 19, 2005 19:54 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

What was the setlist Gordon?

According to the articles I've read the songs were very badly placed and selected. Though what is a great set list to a fan and what's wise to get an audience going are two different things.

Micheal
PostPosted:Sun Jun 19, 2005 20:50 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Micheal. I can't remember where I saw the set list or whether I saw the same on the net or have it in print somewhere. The only thing I know is it reflected the fact that they had a new line up and a new album in that there were a considerable number of songs from Romany. There was still a good sprinkling of classics. However, from what I've heard, the rasberries stole the show from them.
GordonJ
PostPosted:Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:30 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: The Hollies In Concert 1972
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Since I seem to be the only one on this board who actually saw The Hollies live in 1972, I will relate my experience. I saw them at the Civic Auditorium in Santa Monica, CA, on November 22, 1972. Just as The Raspberries were an unfortunate opening act earlier in the tour, Billy Preston attracted an all-Black audience that came for him and left after his set, leaving about 40 percent of the hall for The Hollies. Personally, I was absolutely blown away by the band. They took the stage following an off-stage announcement: "Ladies & Gentlemen, Epic recording artist, The Hollies." You sure don't get that kind of intro (or any kind, for that matter)anymore! They started with "Look What We've Got", with Tony taking lead vocal, and featuring harmonies on the line "Nothing At All". A guitar break by Tony took the place of the saxophone break on the recorded version. Wonderful. I don't recall the exact order of the songs, but they were (lead vocals in parenthesis): "You Know The Score" (Tony, lead v.), "Pull Down The Blind", "On A Carousel" (Terry), "Carrie-Anne" (Tony, with Terry), "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" (Tony), "Amazing Grace" (sung acapella with Tony, Terry, & Mikael on one microphone), "Touch", "Bus Stop" (Mikael), "Words Don't Come Easy" (Mikael's solo spot, on congas), "Long Dark Road" (Tony, with Mikael finishing in spectacular fashion), "He Ain't Heavy" (Mikael), and "Long Cool Woman" (Terry). In EVERY live version, the band sounded BETTER than the recorded version. No kidding. Allan Clarke was not missed AT ALL by this fan. In fact, I felt they were better off without him. They were certainly on top of their game at this stage. Rickfors was an incredible asset, not only vocally but instrumentally. excelling at guitar, bass, keyboards, harmonica, & congas. All on stage! What talent! In fact, they all played different instruments except Bobby. A thoroughly satisfying show, with new arrangements for most songs, naturally, since Mikael Rickfors' presence demanded it. I have been to literally hundreds of concerts since, but The Hollies in 1972 remains at the top of my list. Number One! It's the reason I'm a diehard fan to this day.
PostPosted:Wed Jun 29, 2005 16:24 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject: Re: The Hollies In Concert 1972
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks very much for that, Dennis. Nice to hear some first hand information about this very interesting period in The Hollies history.

Let's hope somebody there had a tape recorder...

Micheal
PostPosted:Wed Jun 29, 2005 17:36 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks for the info!

How I'd love to hear one of those concerts...
PostPosted:Thu Jun 30, 2005 16:15 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I've seen four tracks from one of these shows on video. Carrie-Anne, Long Dark Road,Long Cool Woman and Heavy. I think they were also on the bootleg CD of Out On The Road.
GordonJ
PostPosted:Thu Jun 30, 2005 16:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Thanks for those recollections, Dennis. This sure sounds like a fantastic era, and you are very lucky to have seen them. There must be some concert bootlegs out there surely...

PostPosted:Thu Jun 30, 2005 16:47 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

On video, Gordon? Very intersting.

Was it like a TV show or a proper concert? Did it seem to be professionally shot.

I know somebody has a bootleg of some songs from one of these shows and I have seen them on The Midnight Special from this era.

It's almost amazing to think that an actual Hollies concert from the '70s might have been filmed... let alone one with Mikael Rickfors.

Micheal
PostPosted:Thu Jun 30, 2005 17:38 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

More on The Hollies in the USA, 1972-3: Regarding the video Gordon mentioned (by the way, Gordon, PLEASE leave info on how to obtain this video!!!! You can e-mail me directly at moorlock2003@yahoo.com if you prefer), the band played the Santa Monica Civic again on another night (don't know when; presumably the following night or shortly thereafter) for a US television taping. This was a show called "In Concert", broadcast Friday nights at 11:30 PM, usually with 3 acts playing mini-concerts for the cameras during the 90 minute broadcast. The Hollies came on after Loggins & Messina and Billy Preston. The show was taped for broadcast on Feb. 16, 1973. It was an FM radio simulcast, meaning you could turn on your local FM radio station that was broadcasting the show and get stereo sound along with your TV picture. (Ah, the Seventies!) The hall was packed. The Hollies played "Long Dark Road", "Carrie-Anne", "Bus Stop", "He Ain't Heavy...", and "Long Cool Woman". "In Concert" was an ABC-TV show and a Dick Clark Production. It is very sad that Dick Clark sits on this series and does nothing with it. There could be a great DVD set culled from the series, if he cared, but apparently he doesn't.
In addition, The Hollies appeared on another late-night music series on another network. NBC's "The Midnight Special" was a bit less hip, with a different host every week, and was studio-shot instead of on-location at a concert hall. But all the acts DID play live, or at least live vocals over a pre-recorded backing, as The Hollies did when they were promoting their single "Magic Woman Touch". They also performed "He Ain't Heavy..." and "Long Cool Woman" on the show, totally live, as well as taping "Amazing Grace" which unfortunately did not get shown on the air. (It was listed in TV Guide, though.) The other rock show of this era was Don Kirschner's Rock Concert (syndicated nationallly) but The Hollies did not appear on it.
PostPosted:Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:59 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I've seen one of The Midnight Specials.

Thanks for the NBC In Concert tip.

Those shows were before a big audience, right?

I've seen clips of the Cat Stevens one which Dick Clark has supposedly lost the tapes of. He has also supposedly lost footage of Buddy Holly, which isn't lost... apparently. He likes to loose things.

Micheal
PostPosted:Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Micheal. Unfortunately, I've never managed to get a hold of that particular video, but I do have the audio recording somewhere. It appeared to be real concert but the recordings were broadcast on a TV show.
All the best
GordonJ
PostPosted:Wed Jul 06, 2005 16:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

"In Concert" was an ABC-TV series. "The Midnight Special" was NBC.
PostPosted:Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:03 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next