graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

hollies wrote:
and it is certainly not the worst song they have ever recorded

and by the way... I'd really like to know which one you would chose as the worst one they have recorded in your opinion Very Happy
PostPosted:Fri Mar 14, 2008 14:14 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I don't think Rob will give his opinion on that one, but I could certainly give five or six candidates for worst song ever.

But hey, over the course of a 20-year active career and then a further fairly inactive (from a recording standpoint) 25-years, to only have one side of LP's worth of turkeys is pretty good.
PostPosted:Fri Mar 14, 2008 14:46 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
loenen16 Post subject: reply
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

and then even the worst is worth listening and is a matter of personel feeling about the song ,just like the top ten on everyone is different so the tiop ten of worst will be different its just a personal qestion i think , and when the mood is chaingin the songs will be different ,but what really matters is that every song ,track ore live non recorded song The Hollies made ,they made the choice and made it theirs to us to listen about so enjoy it even if .......... i lke them all

bernard ,almelo
PostPosted:Fri Mar 14, 2008 16:36 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Oh how I loathe discussions like the one above. I agree that it all comes down to a question of taste. Geoff's presice and well-informed comments are always very worthwhile to read, however.

I must say I did not react positively to the thought of Hollies recording a Beatles song at the time, but when they did it, I think they came up with a quite respectable version. I have also heard it live by the Hollies as part of an acoustic set some years ago, and it went down quite well, alongside King Midas, ironic enough. This shows that the groups stands for their historic choices.

But if you ask my personal opinion, So lonely is 10 times better than If I needed someone. I could list a number of other self penned B-sides that were better than IINS.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Fri Mar 14, 2008 19:54 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Blame the record company for squelching the band's potential for writing A-sides early on, after "We're Though" ONLY made No. 7. What's wrong with that chart position, I'd like to know? In the highly competitive 1960s, anything below a No. 3 was not considered a really big hit by record company standards, unbelievable as it may seem now. I agree; plenty of Hollies B-sides were worthy of A-side status. Ron Richards apparently didn't have much confidence in the band's writing abilities either or he would have stuck up for them in that regard. Luckily things changed with "Stop Stop Stop".
PostPosted:Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:10 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

hollies wrote:
Put simply, Dennis, you just can't accept that to many of us, this song was not the "misfire" that you seem to think and it is certainly not the worst song they have ever recorded.

As I said earlier, the band are the only ones who have the authority, background knowledge and experience to say whether it was a mistake or not to record it.

Whatever your views are on the song, they are irrelevant to them and that is what is important.

You apparently did not read the interview with Graham Nash, where HE said he didn't want "If I Needed Someone" released in the US, and this was right in the midst of the controversy regarding its release. That is an indication that the band was not satisfied with the recording. It is unfortunate that you cannot accept anything, whether it is fact or opinion, that is less than rosy regarding the band. About the only criticism I've read from you was your complaining that only 60 people in the US bought the live DVD. If that's your attitude, I'm glad I didn't buy it.
PostPosted:Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:23 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
christocello Post subject: If I needed someone...

The Hollies and the shadow of the Fab Four - it's perhaps one of the most interesting subjects to talk about. I like to add some more ideas to the discussion.
I assume that the Beatles' success became a kind of a problem for most bands during the 60s(except of the Rolling Stones).
Even the IINS-experience proved that. In case of the Hollies you can see several moments, where especcially Graham Nash seems to hide this feelings behind some ironic remarks. First of all - the "Shindig"-appearance on Us-TV. When the Hollies perform "Too much Monkey buisiness" Graham Nash switches over to the first bars of "I feel fine"(Baby's good to me you know...), thus surprising his mates - well it's a kind of cabaret music, they were doing, but - the quotation may be more than a simple gag.
Second: when the Hollies performed in the German "Beat Club" (1965?) the (charming)
interviewer asks Graham how many hits the Hollies had up to that day. He then replies "138.000" (or so) and starts naming them "A Hard Days Night, Can't buy me love". A nice joke- with the sad truth in mind that the Hollies could have a No.1 in Sweden but nearly never (except of I'm alive) in their home country?
Third: the famous Stockholm live concert in 1967 (or was it at the end of 66?). While the band is just checking the sound in front of the audience, Graham starts with the opening bars of "A Hard Days night" and tells the audience "we can do them all". Then they do some really good covers from Dylan, the Four Tops and (included in "Too much Monkey Buisiness" again) the Loving spoonful and the Who. It's a great fun to listen! - and a sad truth perhaps for Graham, that the Hollies would never be as innovative and "original" as their "Perfect Cousins" from Abbey Road Studios?
The so called "problem" for the Hollies, as I called it before, was probably one nucleus of Grahams later decision to leave the Hollies. It would be interesting, if there exists any evidence how the other Hollies coped with the "Shadow of the Fab Four".
A last thought to the Hollies version of "If I needed someone": I think the performance lacks somehow the energy that tracks like "I'm alive" have. And even Tony Hicks' Guitar licks at the end of the song don't seem to be first rate even if I admire his guitar playing in general.
Hollies "vs." the Beatles - a never ending story?
PostPosted:Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:32 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5