graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » If I Needed Someone
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I know someone who saw them in late '60s, and she said they performed it then.

http://thehollies.proboards88.com
PostPosted:Thu Mar 06, 2008 22:06 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

Yes, they have done the song in concert. But what does that prove.

So, now everyone who ever covered a Beatles track has lowered themselves down a level.

Some very illustrious people have covered Beatles songs. There is no shame in that. Some great bands and singers and, of course, amongst them are The Hollies.

They have also performed many other Beatles songs on stage too.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Thu Mar 06, 2008 22:08 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

"If I Needed Someone" was passed over for inclusion on the "Hollies' Greatest" LP, a 14-song compilation of their hit singles up to "Jennifer Eccles". IINS was apparently such a proud moment that it failed to even get on a singles collection that it logically should have appeared on. Strangely, it was being tossed aside and forgotten, but for good reason; "If I Needed Someone" was a subpar release for The Hollies. Even the sound quality was below standards; it sounded like it was recorded in the EMI hallway.
PostPosted:Fri Mar 07, 2008 19:19 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

It was Paul McCartney himself who offered his song "Like Dreamers Do" to The Applejacks as he was very impressed with their first big hit "Tell Me When".
This early Beatle song was on the FULL Beatles Decca Audition Tape.

The Beatles often suggested songs...both their own and covers... for other Artists to Record.......

John Lennon suggested that "How Do You Do it" be given to Gerry & The Pacemakers...who took it to Number One in the UK.

John Lennon gave The Fourmost "Hello Little Girl" for their first single...and suggested they pick from either "It Won't Be Long" or "I'm in Love" for their second.... they picked "I'm in Love" as The Beatles had NOT recorded it....

Billy J.Kramer was given "Do You Want To know A Secret", "I'll Be On My Way" (only ever sung by The Beatles at The BBC), "I Call Your Name", plus "Bad To Me", " & "From A Window" (Both unrecorded by The Beatles)

The Beatles themselves offered "I Wanna Be Your Man" to The Rolling Stones for their second single...

They gave "Tip of My Tounge" to Brian Epstein's Liverpudlian singer Tommy Quickly

John Lennon offered "Misery" to Helen Shapiro during their 1963 package Tour...she turned it down (!!)....so they offered it to Kenny Lynch instead who happily recorded it.

Paul gave Peter & Gordon "A World Without Love", "Nobody I Know", and "I Don't Want To See You Again" (all non Beatle recordings)....
Peter Asher was of course the brother of Paul's then girlfriend Actress Jane Asher .

and Paul gave Cilla Black "It's For You" and "Step Inside love" after she had earlier cut his "Love of The loved" in 1963....

Paul later drew The Moody Blues attention to a song "Those Were The Days"....which Mary Hopkin then cut for Apple...and took to a UK Number One.
...and he gave Badfinger his song "Come And Get it" (1969) as their first hit single... which McCartney Produced...

While George later offered his song "Try Some Buy Some" to Ronnie Spector....and earlier had sent some Beatle songs to Tommy James & The Shondells after liking their hit "Mony Mony"....

Thus The Hollies....who were actually offered George's song BY Beatles Producer George Martin himself....probably must have assumed it was WITH The Fab Fours' blessing...

George Martin DID assure them The Beatles did NOT intend issuing it as a single themselves...

Whatever, we should remember that The Hollies were FIRST to cover a George Harrison song as a single ....and they were FIRST to take a Harrison song into the UK Top Twenty...
.....Thus The Hollies actually gave George Harrison his FIRST composed UK hit record !

Which was Something George Harrison was actually quite UNABLE to do for himself back in 1965....How ironic !

For There was NO WAY that The Beatles would have put "Only a George Song" out as the 'A' side of one of their UK singles in 1965.....

Indeed George never even got a UK single 'B' side until 1968 !!! ("The Inner Light")...
....and in the Group's lifespan only ever got ONE Beatle UK 'A' side ("Something") and that was as late as 1969.....their final full year as a proper four piece band.

....Perhaps George ought to have considered what The Hollies were doing for him as a composer.... before "Belittling"The Hollies cover version...or the band themselves
(That is IF George actually said what NME reported.....)

The Hollies cover of Harrison's song WAS initially selling well after it had entered the UK chart....
...and it ONLY then stalled at Number 20 AFTER Harrison's "Remarks" were quoted in NME....which then stopped the single selling....
....Duly Cutting off George's Songwriting Royalties.....!

The Hollies performed the song in their Live concerts a number of times in the 80's and 90's....normally as part of a "Hits medley".....
....it always went down very well whenever I saw them do it live....
PostPosted:Fri Mar 07, 2008 19:35 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Geoff wrote:
It was Paul McCartney himself who offered his song "Like Dreamers Do" to The Applejacks as he was very impressed with their first big hit "Tell Me When".
This early Beatle song was on the FULL Beatles Decca Audition Tape.

The Beatles often suggested songs...both their own and covers... for other Artists to Record.......

John Lennon suggested that "How Do You Do it" be given to Gerry & The Pacemakers...who took it to Number One in the UK.

John Lennon gave The Fourmost "Hello Little Girl" for their first single...and suggested they pick from either "It Won't Be Long" or "I'm in Love" for their second.... they picked "I'm in Love" as The Beatles had NOT recorded it....

Billy J.Kramer was given "Do You Want To know A Secret", "I'll Be On My Way" (only ever sung by The Beatles at The BBC), "I Call Your Name", plus "Bad To Me", " & "From A Window" (Both unrecorded by The Beatles)

The Beatles themselves offered "I Wanna Be Your Man" to The Rolling Stones for their second single...

They gave "Tip of My Tounge" to Brian Epstein's Liverpudlian singer Tommy Quickly

John Lennon offered "Misery" to Helen Shapiro during their 1963 package Tour...she turned it down (!!)....so they offered it to Kenny Lynch instead who happily recorded it.

Paul gave Peter & Gordon "A World Without Love", "Nobody I Know", and "I Don't Want To See You Again" (all non Beatle recordings)....
Peter Asher was of course the brother of Paul's then girlfriend Actress Jane Asher .

and Paul gave Cilla Black "It's For You" and "Step Inside love" after she had earlier cut his "Love of The loved" in 1963....

Paul later drew The Moody Blues attention to a song "Those Were The Days"....which Mary Hopkin then cut for Apple...and took to a UK Number One.
...and he gave Badfinger his song "Come And Get it" (1969) as their first hit single... which McCartney Produced...

While George later offered his song "Try Some Buy Some" to Ronnie Spector....and earlier had sent some Beatle songs to Tommy James & The Shondells after liking their hit "Mony Mony"....

Thus The Hollies....who were actually offered George's song BY Beatles Producer George Martin himself....probably must have assumed it was WITH The Fab Fours' blessing...

George Martin DID assure them The Beatles did NOT intend issuing it as a single themselves...

Whatever, we should remember that The Hollies were FIRST to cover a George Harrison song as a single ....and they were FIRST to take a Harrison song into the UK Top Twenty...
.....Thus The Hollies actually gave George Harrison his FIRST composed UK hit record !

Which was Something George Harrison was actually quite UNABLE to do for himself back in 1965....How ironic !

For There was NO WAY that The Beatles would have put "Only a George Song" out as the 'A' side of one of their UK singles in 1965.....

Indeed George never even got a UK single 'B' side until 1968 !!! ("The Inner Light")...
....and in the Group's lifespan only ever got ONE Beatle UK 'A' side ("Something") and that was as late as 1969.....their final full year as a proper four piece band.

....Perhaps George ought to have considered what The Hollies were doing for him as a composer.... before "Belittling"The Hollies cover version...or the band themselves
(That is IF George actually said what NME reported.....)

The Hollies cover of Harrison's song WAS initially selling well after it had entered the UK chart....
...and it ONLY then stalled at Number 20 AFTER Harrison's "Remarks" were quoted in NME....which then stopped the single selling....
....Duly Cutting off George's Songwriting Royalties.....!

The Hollies performed the song in their Live concerts a number of times in the 80's and 90's....normally as part of a "Hits medley".....
....it always went down very well whenever I saw them do it live....
Nicely put into context, Geoff, thanks Very Happy ."I'll Be On My Way",what a beautiful song I'd forgotten about. Must dig out my Beatles at the BBC CD and listen to it again Smile .

PostPosted:Fri Mar 07, 2008 23:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

Quote:
"If I Needed Someone" was passed over for inclusion on the "Hollies' Greatest" LP, a 14-song compilation of their hit singles up to "Jennifer Eccles". IINS was apparently such a proud moment that it failed to even get on a singles collection that it logically should have appeared on. Strangely, it was being tossed aside and forgotten, but for good reason; "If I Needed Someone" was a subpar release for The Hollies. Even the sound quality was below standards; it sounded like it was recorded in the EMI hallway.

Dennis

You have one fact correct there, IINS was not on the first compilation album released in 1968.

However, what you conveniently failed to mention was that it WAS released on the following compilation albums

1972 Greatest Hits Vol 2
1975 The History of The Hollies
1987 An Hour Of The Hollies
1988 All The Hits and More
1988 Compacts For Pleasure
1990 Love Songs
1993 The Air That I Breathe
1995 The Hollies
1997 At Abbey Road
2003 Greatest Hits
2003 The Box Set

Doesn’t appear to me to have been “tossed aside and forgotten”

Incidentally, The Baby only made it to three of these compilations, but that doesn’t mean it was a bad song, or a mistake. Does it?

And yet again, what you hear is different to everyone else. We all have our views, and indeed we are all entitled to have them. But thankfully, very few people would agree with you that the record was “subpar” and your idea that it was below standard in some way, thankfully is only your view and in the grand scheme of things it is not important to those that matter.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Sat Mar 08, 2008 0:21 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Re: Hollies covering Beatles....I wonder if Tomorrow When It Comes was judged to be a step too far and therefore didn't see the light of day (until the 1988 Rarities set)? It is a blatant rip off of the style of Tomorrow Never Knows from Revolver. Not too bad a song, actually. For the record, I don't like the Hollies version of IINS, but I'm not that fond of the original either! Laughing

PostPosted:Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:55 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

"Relax" / "Tomorrow When it Comes" was Originally cut as part of The NEXT Hollies studio album intended to follow up "Butterfly" in 1968....
PostPosted:Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:50 pm

Last edited by Gee on Thu May 20, 2010 17:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Have to agree with Geoff there I never got the supposed similarity with Tomorrow Never Knows. Tomorrow When it Comes is a very cool Hollies track IMHO, the "lost" Nash album sounds like it would have been very interesting.
PostPosted:Sat Mar 08, 2008 14:06 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
katdowl Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I personally find there is a similarity between Tomorrow When It Comes and Pictures of Matchstick Men by Status Quo rather than Tomorrow Never Knows.
PostPosted:Sat Mar 08, 2008 15:31 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Quote:
Who can spot the OTHER (overlooked) more subtle Drug song on "Revolver" then....? Shocked
(I missed it for about 25 years too....) Laughing

"Doctor Robert." Very Happy

The song contains many drug references, including the fact that drug dealers are often called "doctors." It was ironic because though the Beatles were often accused of putting drug references in their songs though they claimed that they hadn’t intentionally done so, these drug references in this song went largely unnoticed.

John Lennon has said that Dr. Robert was actually himself, "I was the one who carried all the pills on tour ... in the early days, " but the real-life Doctor Robert is Doctor Robert Freymann, who supplied "generous amounts of amphetamines to famous people."

http://thehollies.proboards88.com
PostPosted:Sat Mar 08, 2008 16:07 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Put simply, "If I Needed Someone" by The Hollies was a misfire, putting them in the shadow of The Beatles at a critical time when they needed to establish themselves as writers. Not good.
PostPosted:Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:02 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Geoff wrote:

..... while on "Tomorrow Never Knows" umpteen innovative tape effects are duly added..(it sounds in places rather like "The Swingle Singers"....going backwards and tape looped !!....while a transistor Radio dial is repeatedly "Whizzed about"...) Wink

Just to show how few degrees of separation there are between people living across an ocean from one another, my dad grew up during the Depression in Mobile, Alabama, just a few houses down the street from Ward Swingle, who was the creator of the Swingle Singers.
PostPosted:Thu Mar 13, 2008 14:18 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

Put simply, Dennis, you just can't accept that to many of us, this song was not the "misfire" that you seem to think and it is certainly not the worst song they have ever recorded.

As I said earlier, the band are the only ones who have the authority, background knowledge and experience to say whether it was a mistake or not to record it.

Whatever your views are on the song, they are irrelevant to them and that is what is important.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Thu Mar 13, 2008 16:15 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Quote:
Whatever your views are on the song, they are irrelevant to them and that is what is important.

Well... I don't think the views of the fans should be irrelevant for the band. Absolutely not because the fans are the ones who made it possible for the musicians to earn their living. Of course a band has to make their own decisions and can't only do what the fans want them to do. After all the fans are fans because the band is what it is. But a band should have a listen to their fans otherwise they won't have them for long.

So everyones opinion (no matter if positive or negative) should be relevant in some ways for a band. I think it's not really nice to say: "what you think is irrelevant to the band... you're just a fan." I don't think the Hollies think that way.

I'm also someone who voices critique if necessary - some agree, some don't. we have already discussed somewhere else what real fan is so I won't start this again here.

Talking about "If I Needed Someone"... I just had a listen to it again and I also think it's just not in the same league with the other hollies singles at the time. Both as a song and production wise. I also think Allan doesn't sing particularly well on it and the guitars are a bit (accidently?) distorted. Bobby plays pretty good, though.
PostPosted:Fri Mar 14, 2008 14:12 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next