graphic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » If I Needed Someone
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
bleechers Post subject: If I Needed Someone

I'd like to get a copy of this Hollies cover. They did a great job with it, but I haven't seen it on a couple of compilations that I've reviewed. The Beatle harmonies were done very well (as is always the case with TH!).

Any suggestions?

I'd prefer just to purchase the mp3 as I probably have most everything else that would be on a complete CD.

PostPosted:Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:26 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I would buy the Hollies at Abbey Road CD fro I I Needed Someone... there you get all the B sides, too.
PostPosted:Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:56 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
bleechers Post subject:

From what I've read, there was a bit of a spat between Lennon and the Hollies over IINS.

Apparently Lennon felt that The Hollies' version was sub-standard and they blamed his (and Harrison's) criticisms for its bad showing in the charts.

Seems as though it was George Martin's suggestion that they record the song.

PostPosted:Fri Apr 15, 2005 0:23 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
bleechers Post subject:

Thanks to Martin, I now have my copy of IINS!

I can see why Lennon/Harrison were disappointed. I am assuming that George Martin prodcuced the single which is shocking Shocked as the song sounds unfinished. The guitar hook is not done well. The track sounds thinner than the Beatles track and the hook evem seems to be missing something.

PostPosted:Sat May 21, 2005 4:11 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

bleechers wrote:
From what I've read, there was a bit of a spat between Lennon and the Hollies over IINS.

Apparently Lennon felt that The Hollies' version was sub-standard and they blamed his (and Harrison's) criticisms for its bad showing in the charts.

Seems as though it was George Martin's suggestion that they record the song.

Did John Lennon criticise it? I know that George Harrison slammed it in a music press interview at the time. A silly move on George's part, as he was just getting started as a songwriter. A big hit by another group on one of his songs would've boosted hos royalty payments too!

Personally I don't think I could choose a favourite. Maybe I'd prefer The Hollies' version if I hadn't heard The Beatles' version first.

Have The Hollies ever performed this 'live'?

Peter
PostPosted:Tue Nov 22, 2005 15:37 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I have an Australian interview from 1983 when the lads were here and Tony even said he felt they didn't do a good job with the song and he felt it was a mistake doing it.

PostPosted:Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:25 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
peterchecksfield Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Anthony wrote:
I have an Australian interview from 1983 when the lads were here and Tony even said he felt they didn't do a good job with the song and he felt it was a mistake doing it.

I thought they did an excellent job on it, but it's not the greatest of songs & maybe should have just been a B-side or album track.
PostPosted:Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:11 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Michaelstoker78 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

peterchecksfield wrote:
Anthony wrote:

I thought they did an excellent job on it, but it's not the greatest of songs & maybe should have just been a B-side or album track.

Actually The Hollies wanted the B-side "Iīve Got a Way of my Own" to be the A-side, but Ron Richards insisted on the Beatles tune. Obviously not many members of the band liked the song, at least thatīs what I once read. Allan Clarke, however, admitted that he "loved" the song but added that George Harrisonīs public blaming of the single as "soul-less" didnīt help it very much.

Regards, Michael

PostPosted:Thu Nov 24, 2005 20:29 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Ram4 Post subject:

The main riff of the song is pretty much a rip-off of The Byrds arrangement of The Bells Of Rhymney. (But that was never a secret.)

Main reason why the 12 string guitar sounds weak? George used a Rickenbacker. Tony probably used a Vox. MAJOR difference in sound.

But there is good news for The Hollies fans. There is a remix of If I Needed Someone that I picked up a year ago as a bonus track on the Magic Records version of Would You Believe. It's probably the best mix of the song I've heard and really makes the song come close to the sacred Beatles version. Seriously. Get it.
PostPosted:Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:09 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I think it was a real mistake of the Hollies to put this out as a single.I do like the song(you couldn't get a bigger Beatles fan than me, and I don't just mean my dress size!) but this was only good enough to be an album track.The Beatles didn't want it as a single,so why should the Hollies.I know it was mean't as a gesture of goodwill but it's a bit-Crumbs from my table-type thing!The Hollies version does sound alittle unfinished ,but I do think Clarkies vocals are better than George's(harder edged).Here's a thought,what if the Hollies had recorded a "Hollies Sings Beatles" album.Does anyone have an opinion on that?

PostPosted:Thu Sep 13, 2007 19:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Hollies Sing Beatles.....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Beatles Producer George Martin offered "If I Needed Someone" To The Hollies....leading them to think that George Harrison had written it for them....(If you were "Offered" a song in those days, that was normally the case....), however it was Ron Richards who Produced The Hollies version...not George Martin.

Graham Nash was DEAD against them doing it...but Allan Clarke really loved the song and was very keen to do it....Nash felt it would put The Hollies in the Beatles' "Shadow" somewhat...which it did....maybe shades here of Nash's later opposition to the "Sing Dylan" project three years later....possibly Nash Not liking the idea of Hollies copying any other Contemporary artists ....(?)

...However it WAS "Only a George song" after all...thus no big deal....as was frankly the view in Beatles' circles at the time....(!)

I don't think The Hollies made a bad job of it....Bobby's Drumming is "in another league" to Ringo's (listen to both cuts)....while Clarke-Hicks-Nash were vocally far stronger and tighter than a rather "Auto-Pilot" Lennon-McCartney backing vocal....on "Only a George song"....(!) - The Beatles had approached it as purely an album track...their version being gentler and with a "Ringing" guitar sound...

George played his Rickenbacker guitar....playing almost note for note a copy of The Byrds "The Bells of Rhymney" chord sequence from The Byrds "Mr.Tambourine Man" debut album in 1965....Jim (later Roger) McGuinn had rushed out and got a Rickenbacker after seeing George play one on John's "I Should Have Known Better" in the film "A Hard Day's Night" in 1964....

George later sent McGuinn an autographed copy of "Rubber Soul".....with a circle in pen round "If I Needed Someone"....and a handwritten note Thanking Roger & The Byrds for the inspiration - McGuinn later said it is one of his Most prized items.

So The Hollies "Sang Beatles".......they "Rocked up" George's song....and it initally started selling well....BUT then the "Slagging off" remarks attributed to George appeared....Later George told Tony Hicks (when they were Next Door neighbours ) that he NEVER slagged off The Hollies' version...and was actually really flattered that The Hollies had picked a song of his....rather than John or Paul....to cover....

it transpired that a Beatles Publicist mistakenly put out the story of George "Hating" The Hollies cover of his song....

I have often wondered just WHO it was who told that Beatles Publicist to put out that story that George Hated The Hollies cover version....(???)

.....as it immediatly stopped the record selling....depriving George of further Royalties...and another artist having a really BIG hit with a"Only a George Song"....(!), which would have really strengthened George's case for having MORE of his songs included on future Beatles albums....yes ?

Whatever....I think it is significant that the next Beatles album "Revolver" duly OPENS with "Taxman"....a "George Song"....and he had THREE songs on that album instead of the mere two he normally was "allowed" .....it certainly seems that messrs Lennon,McCartney...and Martin HAD all suddenly taken George Harrison much more seriously as a songwriter....it was NEVER a case of "Only a George Song" thereafter....
....from then on everyone knew there were really THREE Classic songwriters in The Beatles....a fact George Martin later held his hands up & admitted he was slow to spot....
so it is quite feasible The Hollies cover version really did help George Harrison's songwriting cause....yes ?

Later Paul McCartney admitted he was mildly "Miffed" that when Frank Sinatra finally covered a Beatles song...."Yeah.....It would be one of George's....!" ("Something")

Re "Lennon blasts Hollies".....John had an unfortunate habit of "shooting his mouth off" against anyone he was annoyed with or considered a potential threat....and it often cost him very dearly....later in 1971 he praised to the skies "Hey Willy" (perhaps he felt he owed The Hollies a favour...?) - whatever Graham Nash duly had a go back at Lennon in 1965....but very quickly thereafter they became good friends....
Graham was invited along when The Beatles first sang "Hey Jude" on "The David Frost Show" on UK Television....A smiling Nash can be seen "swaying along" with the crowd of Beatles' friends as they all sing along at the lengthy ending of the song.

Later Paul McCartney (who had praised "I Can't Let Go" in 1966 to quickly repair band realations....) & Linda loaned The Hollies their Moog Synthesisor from "Band On The Run" for "Another Night" in 1975.....
...while earlier in 1969, on learning fellow scouser & old friend Terry Sylvester had got The Hollies job to replace Graham Nash, A delighted George Harrison gave Terry a big hug at Abbey Road Studios when they next met....George was so pleased for Terry on getting such a top job duly stepping his career up into a much bigger league....

The Hollies DID sing their version of this famous George Harrison song during 90's Concert shows....as part of a sixties hits medley...and did it very well too...
PostPosted:Thu Sep 13, 2007 20:08 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Bonus Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I really like Your stories, Geoff!

Please, give us more!
PostPosted:Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:28 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Bonus wrote:
I really like Your stories, Geoff!

Please, give us more!
I second that!

PostPosted:Fri Sep 14, 2007 13:16 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Michaelstoker78 wrote:
peterchecksfield wrote:
Anthony wrote:

Actually The Hollies wanted the B-side "Iīve Got a Way of my Own" to be the A-side, but Ron Richards insisted on the Beatles tune. Obviously not many members of the band liked the song, at least thatīs what I once read. Allan Clarke, however, admitted that he "loved" the song but added that George Harrisonīs public blaming of the single as "soul-less" didnīt help it very much.

Regards, Michael

Shows how Richards was not always right. He didn't think "Long Cool Woman" was good enough without harmonies.
PostPosted:Tue Sep 18, 2007 13:59 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Hope2005 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I hate The Hollies version of 'If I Needed Someone' poor vocals and musicianship. I read that George Harrison remarked that it sounded like it was recorded by session musicians during a tea break. I do believe that John Lennon was never very keen on The Hollies as he felt their music was very leightweight, of course Graham Nash was present in Abbey Road when The Beatles performed 'All You Need Is Love' in 1967.

PostPosted:Sat Sep 22, 2007 17:27 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next