graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » Class of 64
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject: Class of 64
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Has anyone in this forum heard of the Band Class of 64? I've seen them yesterday on TV. The singer is Chip Hawkes, ex-member of the Tremeloes, the drummer is Mick Avory, ex member of the Kinks and guess who the bass player is... it's Eric Haydock!
They played a medley consisting of You Really Got Me, Lola, Silence Is Golden and Bus Stop, which is of course a bit strange because Eric just left the band before that recording. They should have played Look Through Any Window or Yes I Will...

Here is the homepage:

http://www.swinging60szone.net/theclassof64.html
PostPosted:Mon Feb 28, 2005 18:31 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Cindy1986 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

As they called themselves Class Of 64, I think they should have sang a Hollies song from that year such as Just One Look or Here I Go Again which Eric did record with the band.

Bye For Now

Cindy
PostPosted:Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:20 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I'd say that's because neither Eric or Mick Avory is really in charge of Class of 64. Valuable players, and fairy well-known names, representing important bands of the era, but I think this is pretty clearly Chip Hawkes' show.

I suspect "Bus Stop" being considered the Hollies first international hit had something to do with its inclusion. For that matter, "Silence is Golden" and especially "Lola" came much later than 1964.

Think of it in terms of Graham Nash performing "Air", "Heavy" or "Long Cool Woman" on the Hello Graham Nash/Archive Alive/Reunion live album, or of the band playing "Wasted on the Way" and "Teach Your Children". Anachronistic all the way around...

Distant Light: I have a friend who also watched and commented to me on "Hitgiganten 60s-special", including Class of 64's appearance. He described "Eric H. Peacock" as "strutting around on stage as if he were king of the world". What's your take on that?

PostPosted:Tue Mar 01, 2005 19:35 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Crossie Post subject:

I think that the inclusion of songs such as Bus Stop has simply to do with the fact that Class of 64 is (quite rightly) promoted / advertised as a band consisting of members of famous 60s bands like the Kinks, Hollies or Tremeloes. And people associate those bands with certain songs and expect to hear them. All that matters is that the Class of 64 musicians once were members of those bands, no matter for how long, or what songs they actually played on.

With regard to your friend's take on "Eric H. Peacock ... strutting around as if he were king of the world ": that comment shows that apparently your friend either doesn't like bass players and Haydock in particular, or he doesn't know much about them / him (or both Wink ).
Yes, Eric with his dark sunglasses did look a bit strange/odd to me on that TV-stage, and he's not the quiet standing-only bass player type, so he surely did a little more walking around on stage than some other bass players like say John Deacon or Bernie Calvert did in their day. But all in all your friend's comments are too harsh for my liking. Maybe if he had a second look at the show, your friend would re-think his judgement. Laughing
PostPosted:Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:20 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I didn't meant that they should only play songs from 64 but they should have played only songs, at least in a TV show, on which they originally played on. Mick Avory played on Lola and Chip Hawkes sang on Silence Is Golden so that's no problem...

brandy: I didn't notice anything like that at all... I have to watch that video again. And I also think that this is mainly Chip Hawkes show. But he's a good singer... he could have joined the Hollies after Carls passing...
PostPosted:Wed Mar 02, 2005 15:25 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
brandy Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I like your sense of humor, Crossie...

It is quite true that my friend feels that bass players should know their place, both visually and musically, LOL!

Interestingly enough, Distant Light, I've read that Chip has recently been helping out his old mates in the Tremeloes, by subbing on bass for the recently departed Dave Fryer at a few gigs.

PostPosted:Wed Mar 02, 2005 16:19 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1