graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » When I became a Hollies fan
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
christocello Post subject: When/Why I became a Hollies fan?

When?

I suppose, I was about 14 or 15 yrs old. I bought this German "Bus Stop" compilation around 1980. The songs I liked best were Bus Stop, Candy man, Mickeys Monkey, Oriental sadness, sweet little 16, I am a Rock & We're through - well the 1965/66 songs. 2 Yrs. later I bought the "Hallo, the Hollies" LP and I learned to know the more mature songs like "Listen to me" or even "Look through any window" (still a favorite of mine). Just a fw Yrs. ago I saw an advertisement for the Evlolution CD and I bought the CD quite immediately. Listening to that special CD was more like a disappointment but I suddenly started to see the up to then unknown psychedelic side of the Hollies. Since the last 2 1/2 years I tried to get nearly every video, single or LP plus biographic material.

Why?

What's so convincing about the Hollies?
-three part harmony singing,
-a quite unusual and sometimes "jazzy" way of drum playing
-the impact of a sincere and solid attitude towards music and text
-craftmansship, devotion, being musically open minded
-a more or less "sober" image
-a lead singer with a big vocal range
-a "staying power" compared to many other and bygone groups
-the ability to perform other songwriters material in a brilliant way
-a wide range of musical styles from beat to folk to disco to ballad to country to R&B..

Did I forget anything?

Christocello
PostPosted:Tue Feb 10, 2009 23:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

No, I think you didn't. These are also my whys. Very Happy
PostPosted:Wed Feb 11, 2009 16:32 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lou Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I became a fan of the best rock and roll band ever,
during the summer of 1983.

I was 19 at the time and had nothing to do.
I was one of those kind of days. I was sitting
outside on the front steps.

Roland, a friend of mine walks up and asks if I would
like to go with him to see a band at Soldier Field.

Cool "Who?" I asked.

Smile "The original Hollies, with Graham Nash." he replied.

Cool "(bewildered) okay ... I guess so. I think they did ..um...Bus Stop ?"

Such are the risks one takes in life, and I would never be the
same again after that night. What a concert. What a band !!!
My eyes and ears popped opened wide. What songs, what singing.
(try to imagine I'm hearing The hollies songs for the 1st time ever Shocked )
My heart swelled with emotion. It still does. It always will. Cool

Few things feel as right and nothing has ever come so naturally
as becoming an instant fan of The Hollies. Mr. Green

Anyway, I actually found pictures from the 83 concert online.
Check it out. click here

PostPosted:Sun Feb 22, 2009 23:43 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
nightskye Post subject: Happy Memories
Banjo

Banjo

It is raining here, wet season rain, warm and humid, and I have had a wonderful afternoon reading all these wonderful stories. Thank you so much to everyone whom has contributed. Just like the Hollies, even years later, you are bringing joy to peoples' hearts. Thank you. Jenny.
PostPosted:Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:04 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Sass E Frass Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Lou wrote:
Anyway, I actually found pictures from the 83 concert online.
Check it out. click here

Lou - that link doesn't work for me. . . HELP!

PostPosted:Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:19 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Pegasus Post subject:

Hi Everyone,
Hope I'm doing this right...

I became a Hollies fan in 2010 when I was about 12-13. I had heard their songs before but after doing a 60s tour of youtube I came across Carrie Anne BBC 1969 and fell in love, not sure how many times I must have played that video clip! I just got more and more into them, their harmonies blew me away, they had a certain magic to them that I just loved Smile Now I'm collecting their records, and magazines. I guess to say it mildly, I'm hooked!

Maddi Very Happy

PostPosted:Sat Sep 08, 2012 0:08 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
allyouneedisallanclarke Post subject:

It must have been a few years ago now, but one of my relatives have me a Woodstock Generation CD, which had various artists on (The Small Faces, The Turtles etc., and of course, The Hollies!!) so I decided to check out other songs that the artists had done. I bought the '20 Golden Greats' CDS, and that was it!! I discovered how fantastic The Hollies were!! <3 I also found a lot of Youtube videos of them, so started trying to identify the band members Laughing

PostPosted:Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:13 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lynda Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

I first became a Hollies fan in 1963 and have loved them ever since.

I saw them perform live in London in 1964. I think it was a recording for Ready Steady Go but can't be sure after 51 years.
PostPosted:Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:15 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
IrelandCalling Post subject: Became a fan

I arrived to the Hollies relatively late compared to many previous posters who detailed their wonderful stories; it's a lovely thread.

I discovered them just 2 years ago, summer 2013, the year I turned 39! I'd always like the Beatles, the Stones, Kinks, Who..etc, but for some reason never investigated the Hollies and really only knew 3 or 4 of their biggest hits. That all changed summer 2013 when on a whim I set 'record' when 'Look Through Any Window' was shown on SkyArts1. The following day, a Saturday, I had the chance to sit down and watch. Well, what can I say - I loved every single minute!! And by the time the programme finished, some two hours later, I was a fan!

I didn't go for a Greatest-Hits following the revelatory viewing of 'Look Through Any Window', I wished to go for the catalogue, and I started with album number 1, 'Stay with the Hollies'. 'Little Lover' had made a big impact, and I love the 'beat' era Beatles and Stones, so wished to start with Hollies in their beat group phase.

More by accident than design, I obained the albums in chronological order; each one was so good i wondered when would the quality dip; it didn't! Those albums, in particular, 1964-1967, every one of them was fantastic! Wondered how for so long as a music obsessive I had missed out on this utterly terrific band. I also got the 'Clarke Hicks Nash' boxset, and as companion pieces to the studio albums, I compiled my own albums of period singles, B Sides and rarities. For the 60s I have 5 of those albums on the ipod now, along with the 7 official studio albums. It only took perhaps 3 months to obtain all of those and go from having no Hollies to having lots of Hollie material. The B Sides were just as magical as the A, and in some cases, even better; I'm thinking the likes of 'So Lonely', 'You Know he Did', 'Nobody' - wonderful stuff indeed!

Aswell as the music, I started reading voraciously online, anything and everything to acquaint myself with the Hollies.

The journey continued into the post Nash albums, and after an initial thought that they may not be as good, I was delighted to find that the bands' artistry continued. The three albums 1969-1971 I found the artistic equal of the 1966-1967 trio; the critics who said they weren't as good without Nash were wrong. Some of my absolute favourites are 'Sing Hollies', 'Confessions of the Mind' and 'Distant Light'.

The quality continued up to 1976s pair of albums methinks; records like 'The Hollies', 'Another Night', 'Write On' and 'Russian Roulette' are full of fine songs, and in many places, excellent. 1978-1983 were a bit ballad heavy, but still worthy as Hollies albums.

An incredible band, with so many truly classic songs, it still amazes me when I re-listen to any of the albums just how good they were. I honestly would put them on par with the Beatles in the 60s; the albums/EPs and B Sides the Hollies recorded especially from 1965 to 1968 I feel are of superior quality to most every other act. Personal taste I know, but I think they were better than their Merseyside peers the Beatles.

The best part of the story; my awakening to the band coincided with my daughters' birth; she's 2 now, so has been here for the journey. I discovered them just 2 months before she was born, so will always associate that magical time with her arrival to the world.
PostPosted:Thu Nov 05, 2015 16:53 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3