graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » When I became a Hollies fan
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject: When I became a Hollies fan
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

One Saturday Morning in 1968 when I was a child I decided to watch a pop music show called Uptight with my then teenage sister (she watched that show every week). I was sitting watching the T.V. when a film clip (or video in today's language) of The Hollies singing "Jennifer Eccles" came on and they were so good looking that I fell in love with all them and I thought the song wasn't bad either. I then heard "Jennifer Eccles" on The radio a few times and I became hooked. The Hollies were the first group I ever took an interest in and I still love them as much now as I did almost 36 years ago. Long live Carl, Tony, Ray, Alan, Ian and Bobby.

Bye for now

Susie
PostPosted:Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:58 am

Last edited by Susie Hewett on Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I was first inflicted with Hollies-itis in 1966 when Bus Stop made it's way onto US radio stations. I can recall the moment as if it were yesterday. My younger brother and I were relaxing in our bedroom when suddenly the room was filled with total excitement and awesome harmonies. I was hooked from that moment on. Hard to believe it's been 38 years!
PostPosted:Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:59 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject: When I became a Hollies fan
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I became a Hollies fan in 1964 when I first heard Just One Look. Yes, that's all it took!! I first saw them live in 1967 at the Granada Theatre in Mansfield, Notts in a Package Tour with the Spencer Davis Group, Paul Jones and the Tremeloes. I've seen them perform many, many times since then and they just seem to get better each time. I've already got my tickets for the concert in Munich in October when the Hollies will be on the bill with, amongst others, the Tremeloes. A case of 'What Goes Around'??
PostPosted:Wed Jan 28, 2004 13:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
kaglos Post subject:

Hi, I became a hollies fan in 1966 when I heard "Very last day" on the radio. It was a huge hit in Sweden where I live. To this day I really love the very dramatic, fateful, guitar intro of the song, the solo is great and so is the vocals and the whole sound of the recording. Then came "Bustop" which was even better and then all the other hits, I liked them all. Hollies became my absolute favourite band. Then Graham left and I was badly shaken. As young as I was, thirteen, I had somehow understood that Graham was a keyfigure for the Hollies sound, and also, he seamed to be the hip one. It became even worse when Allan Clarke left and they decided to pick a singer from Sweden. That was really to go downhill from my point of view at that time, where eveything from England or US seamed to be first class compared to our own groups and artists. In the meantime, Graham Nash had made a huge success with CSN(&Y) and I was kind of proud because he was in the favourite band I had had as a kid. Later I read that Allan returned but then I thought of Hollies as nothing else but a childhood memory. Of course I could hear that hits like "The air that I breathe" and "He aint heavy.." was great songs but I was into hard rock with long guitar solos. I didn´t even bother to listen to Hollies LP:s during the 70ths.

Well, the years passed on and soon we had entered into a new millenium. In the summer of 2003 I saw an LP with old Hollies hits in a second hand shop. I bought it for my girlfriend just to show her what I had liked when I was a child. She was immediately hooked. Especially by ”Busstop” and the bittersweetness of ”I can´t let go”. And myself I was stunned by what a great band they had been in the 60ths. The sound was great and better than most CD:s of today. We played that record more than any other that summer. A few months later, in the same second hand shop, I stumbled over a Cd-box called ”Four More Hollies Originals” with Cd-versions of the LP:s ”Romany”. ”The Hollies” (1974), ”Write On” and ”A Crazy Steal”. Also with the box was an informative piece of paper telling bits of The Hollies story during the 70ths. ”Could be nice to hear what Mikael Rickfors (Romany) sounded like when he was with The Hollies” I thought, and bought the box. Of course, he sounded great. ”Romany” was a fine album but the other one´s were even better. And what a guitar player Tony Hicks were! He should have the same legend status as Keith and George (Harrison), far better solo player than any of the two. The same goes for Bobby Elliott, one of the gretest drummers in any rockband ever. Terry Sylvester made a vocal contribution that matched Graham´s and Bernie played real cool basslines. Allan Clarke has always been a top vocalist for me and he was still up to that standard.

Then I became a Hollies fan for the second time in my life. I felt bad that I had missed Hollies records in the 70ths, but happy that I at last discoverd them. That winter I explored the 70ths version of Hollies and they were as good as they ever had been in the 60ths, in many ways even better.

Then me enter the internet-world. Find out about the Hollies sites and that the band is still going strong, with Carl Wayne on vocals. I see that they´re going to play a few dates in Denmark and I just have to go and see them. In Aarhus the 4th of May the dream come true. They played their great show and fulfilled all of my expectations. Carl, Tony and Bobby were doing so well, and so were the others too. I hope they will go on for a long time, and that they will tour in Sweden again. Prefeably up north were I live.

This note became longer than I expected, but for me, to discover that Hollies was still such a great band after Graham left, during the 70ths into the 80ths, and that they´re that good even today (with their new singer) has been such a thrill. In a deeper sense, and this may sound ridicolus, I feel that to become a Hollies fan again has completed a tie to my childhood that was broken for many years. I´ve learned something about who I am and what I like. I wish the band and all of you who may read this all the best. / Kaglos
PostPosted:Wed Jan 28, 2004 15:33 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I became a fan of the Hollies, in 1964, when my friend Dot brought a magazine, Fab208 I think it was with a right up about the lads. She also brought in a transistor radio (anyone remember them Laughing ) and although it wasn't allowed, we sneaked into the girls' cloakroom to listed to this new sensation... I was hooked, as was Dotty and the rest is history. To me they are the best band ever.

Does anyone in the UK remember the boutique a couple of the guys had called Pigmailion in Manchester?

Shells
The Queen of Scottish Knits
xxx
PostPosted:Thu Jan 29, 2004 18:02 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I believe the actual name(spelling) was Pygmalion. According to my handy-dandy dictionary, "Pygmalion was a king of Cyprus who carved and then fell in love with a statue of a woman, which Aphrodite brought to life as Galatea". If my memory serves me well, I think Tony was one of the original managers..not sure if Allan or Graham were involved in the shop. I'd be curious to know if anyone out there actually shopped there in those days.
PostPosted:Thu Jan 29, 2004 19:18 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Heheheehe!

After I posted that message I realised my spelling mistook Embarassed Sorry but I blame it on the 'appy pills for me back! Laughing

Shells
xxx
PostPosted:Thu Jan 29, 2004 19:51 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I read about the shop in one of the teen mags and when my mum and dad went to Manchester on business, I pleaded with them to buy me a dress from the shop but they couldn't find it! Crying or Very sad

I can still remember the dress they got me though... it was like a TENT. So much for parents getting it right! I thought Allan was the other partner in the shop but it's such a long time ago, I could be wrong.

Shells
xxx
PostPosted:Thu Jan 29, 2004 20:06 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
KathyGoGo Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

I read the partners of the boutique were Tony and Graham. It seemed quite a few of the acts of the 60's had boutiques including the Beatles, Peter Noone and Sandie Shaw.

PostPosted:Thu Jan 29, 2004 20:53 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks Kath!

I just couldn't remember that one! Funny cos I can remember loads of stuff from way back when..... Is I gettin' old? Confused

I had the strangest dream last night about seeing the Hollies at the Pavilion in Glasgow Confused ...... I dreamt Carl got us the best seats in the house... weird cos I've never met him before! Very Happy Isn't it daft the things that happen in dreams... Oh yeah.... the theatre manager gave me big comfy chair to sit on when everyone went down to the stage for the last sets! Mmm.... think I am getting on a bit! Laughing

Shells
xxx
PostPosted:Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:39 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Sharon Olson Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Hi All,

This story is a repeat to some so my appologies.

I became a Hollies fan at age 12. My Aunt Bonnie gave me a Christmas gift, very square and very thin which can only mean a record album. ( I'll translate the word record album for those 20 and younger.) Anyhow, my excitement turned to a brief disappointment and then curiosity. Who the heck were the Hollies, and what's with this strange cover? It was the greates hits with all the various English type art numbered to correspond with the songs. Aunt Bonnie, a music teacher said "They have some nice songs." How did she know? She was a little past the Rock and Roll stage. Still she must have heard them somewhere.

I was hooked. I was a fan of the Graham years and also later with Mikael. I loved the 70's era the best. I bought what I could find which wasn't much. The Hollies were my secret indulgence, my secret passion. Still are. They were and are my secret band. No one else knew/knows who the Hollies were/are. (But they know their songs if you start mentioning them.)

However in my early 20's though I still listened to the music, I drifted away. I thought "What Goes Around" was the end. Imagine my extreme joy 10 years later to find the 30 years collection. One of the last sentences in the box set said "The Hollies still exsist today." Who would have thought? But again I drifted away, although the music was always exquisite. Surely they exsisted no more.

Ten years later I happen to hear on the radio the Hollies are to perform 50 miles or so from my home. I seriously think that maybe the world is going to end or maybe I'll be dying soon, because no way in this world would I have the luck for my fondest dream to come true! But hear them I did, and I realize that near 40 years they are still together. A little blue that Allan was no longer with them, but loved Carl. I then insist on internet to keep up with the boys. I discover the internet can bring the whole world as close as my computer. I am amazed at how many songs the Hollies have that I have never heard. Many dollars poorer, I happily realize that in one year I have heard more (new) Hollies songs, than I have in the previous 30 years. It's like hearing them for the first time. They take my breath away. They make my heart sing.

Like Anthony says, all members have played a part. They would not be who they are without each and everyone of them. May we have many more years with the Hollies!

Love,
Shari
PostPosted:Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:57 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I saw the Hollies on a TV special must have been late 60's or early 70's. I saw them sing Carrie Anne and I was hooked for life, loved the way the three Hollies sang a verse each. Soon after Too Young To Be Married was a huge hit in Australia, here I am a life time later and still as keen, in some ways I think I'm more keen thanks to the internet.

PostPosted:Mon Mar 01, 2004 22:06 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
peeji Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I first heard the Hollies on a 60s compilation tape over 15 years ago. The song was 'Stay' and I heard it when I lived in Malvern which is why Friday's gig is particularly special for me (shame they haven't got 'Stay' on the setlist). Smile

I obviously heard He Ain't Heavy, Air That I Breathe and Stop in teh Name of Love as I grew up but never figured it was the Hollies till in October 2001 (I think) and I ordered in Hollies @ Abbey Road 63-66 at my library. Since then i've been hooked! Cool

Thank god they're still touring and I've been able to catch them in concert.
Very Happy
PostPosted:Mon Mar 01, 2004 22:14 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
star1981 Post subject: How I became a HOLLIES fan

I first heard of the HOLLIES when I was about twelve years old.
That of course was just 10 years ago, in September 1993. My dad
had a "best of the 60's" CD that included "on a carousel". Of the twenty different artists on that album I immediately liked the Hollies most. That's when I began collecting their music.
I started off with their own "Best of" releases but after listening to them it didn't take me long before I made my way through their excellent album-catalogue. Since those were the pre-www days, what really helped me getting to know everything about the band and their music was the "30th anniversary collection" imported from the US. For someone who had just entered his teen-ages, the three-cd collection really cost a fortune! But what was great about it was, on the one hand the studio conversation (I liked it very much...), and, on the other hand, the complete discography included in the booklet of the package.

I tried to get any material I could get from any place I could. In 1994 it sometimes not that easy to get all their albums on CD, and to my surprise, I had to realise that not all of the albums had been released on CD in 1994. But I tried my best and within the next two years I was able to gather around most of the Hollies' material (except for the "out on the road" album which was not available anywhere - quite ironic, because I happen to live in the only country where this album was actually released...). Eventually, I found it on Ebay two years ago...thanks to the internet.

Well, what can I say. I really love the Hollies and each time I put a record on, I know why!

My best wishes to everyone on this forum!

"...to have loved and lost is better than no love at all..."

star1981
PostPosted:Wed Mar 03, 2004 18:48 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Ro-Robert Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I also became a Hollies fan when I was about 12 years old. That was around 1981. I was already interested in the Beatles. I taped everything on the radio that was Beatles-like. All kind of sixties bands I had never heard of. I only taped the songs and didn't or couldn't figure out who was playing them. One of them was Bust Stop. I had no idea it was a Hollies song, but it really became a favourite sixties song for me. Later I accidentally taped great songs called Look Through Any Window and I Can't Let Go. By that time I knew it was The Hollies. When I visited an aunt she told me she had a record of the Hollies. She gave it to me. Just like that. I was in heaven. It was a compilation from 1969. It had Charlie and Fred on it. It was really great and I started to save money to buy a Hollies record myself. I bought a singles-compilation 1963-1970. A double LP. It was a fortune for me, but it was worth it. Since than I started to collect everything about the Hollies. Even singles from other countries with other sleeves. I have seen the Hollies once when they were in The Hague in Holland. I think it was in 1984. My aunt brought me. I really loved it. I never had a change to see them again. A real pity.
PostPosted:Wed Mar 03, 2004 23:22 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Page 1 of 3