graphic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » When I became a Hollies fan
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Annette Post subject:

It was all my brothers doing, as he reminded me last night at the concert in Southend. I was about 10, my bruv a stately 21 playing 'STAY'. I loved it. Bruv played alot of Hollies, & when he left home I bought my own Hollies single 'Look through any window' & realised how much I missed bruv playing all the others. So steadily I aquired the new & old singles, joined the Fan Club (i still have my official badge) got the LPs & Eps for birthdays & christmas. I was devoted.... I went with my friend Christine to the convention at EMI house in September '69. Oh what a day ( if i remember right, Allans wife Jen gave birth to a boy Toby? the night before) I took all my LP covers & all the boys signed them for me...swoon swoon..... I remember Tony asking which I liked best .....thinking he meant which Hollie....i just said 'youre all lovely'Embarassed to this day I go red when I think of it..... During the 70s i got married, had children..... you get caught up in other things...still played all my Hollies records.. My husband realising my love of the band took me to see them, my first time ..... that was it...the love affair was rekindled....and still is. I am lucky to be able to see the Hollies every year...taken all my friends...gone on my own a couple of times. Last night bruv & his wife came as did my daughter her husband & 2 of my g/children, what a wonderful night.

Thank you each & every Hollie for so many years of pleasure...for being THE HOLLIES..... thank you Very Happy
PostPosted:Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:59 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Aaah Annette

What a lovely story!

You talking about when Toby was born makes me blush cos I went straight out a bought a baby congrats card Embarassed for Jen and Allan.... all my friends made fun of me... but Allan was my fave Hollie then and up till he left so I just wanted him to know I was pleased for him... How embarrassing is that Question

SO you and I can blush together can't we? Laughing

Shells
The Queen of Scottish Knits
xxx
PostPosted:Sun Mar 07, 2004 15:02 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Ron Garner Post subject: Re: When I became a Hollies fan

John Truman wrote:
I became a Hollies fan in 1964 when I first heard Just One Look. Yes, that's all it took!! I first saw them live in 1967 at the Granada Theatre in Mansfield, Notts in a Package Tour with the Spencer Davis Group, Paul Jones and the Tremeloes. I've seen them perform many, many times since then and they just seem to get better each time. I've already got my tickets for the concert in Munich in October when the Hollies will be on the bill with, amongst others, the Tremeloes. A case of 'What Goes Around'??

I first saw the Hollies at the Victoria Ballroom, Chesterfield in October 1963 on a ballroom package tour with Shane Fenton & the Fentones, I hadn't heard them before but the sheer enthusiasm and energy of their performance won me over instantly. Apart from losing touch with them live between 1983 - 1986, I've followed their career with interest ever since, they just keep getting better live, can't wait to see them again in Leeds on Sunday ( March 14th ).
PostPosted:Thu Mar 11, 2004 15:06 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Martin Dodd Post subject: When I became a Hollies fan
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Hi All
Well let me think now, I first became a Hollies fan back in about 1981/82 I think. I was about 15 or 16 at the time. The first tape I ever bought was a called an Hour with The Hollies or something like that and was released on the mfp label. Back then it cost me £2.99 from the local Woolworth’s shop.

A few years later I met Bobby Elliot in a local music pub in Preston called The Lamb, and got talking to him later. He was quite amused that their music was in the Bargain Bin at the local Woolies! he told me a great story of how they came to record "If I Needed Someone" also!

I think the first time I saw them live was either 83 or 84 and they were just superb. I have seen them on many other occasions throughout the years from then on.

I look forward to seeing them again in just a few weeks time on 6th November in Manchester.

Cheers Folks
Martin
PostPosted:Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:01 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Cathy60 Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Having an older sister who was a Hollies fan and some of their records and many pictures (from pop magazines) on our bedroom wall I couldn't escape the band. when i was little in the 60's I hated them but then one day in 1972 at the age of 12 I heard a song on the radio (Magic Woman Touch) that I liked but the bloke on the radio never said who it was on the name of the song. I asked my sisters and brothers if any of them new and I should have guessed that my sister Susan would know (she really new her popstars in those days)

About a week later I watched a music show on T.V. and The Hollies came on singing Magic Woman Touch (which by then had became my favourite song). I went to the newsagent down the road from where I lived and there was a magazine with a picture of The Hollies on the front cover and I didn't know why at the time but I just had to have that magazine, so I bought it with some of my pocket money.

I sort of fancied Mikael Rickfors and was upset when he left the band a few months later and Allan Clarke rejoined. I then heard The Day That Curly Billy Shot Down Crazy Sam McGee and then saw them on T.V. singing it and I took one look at Allan and fell in love and he was my favourite until Ray Stiles joine the band in 1985.

I hope The Hollies stay around for many more years to come because the music world wouldn't be the same without them.

Cathy
PostPosted:Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:13 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Jerzeypocofan Post subject:

I became a Hollies fan the instant I heard "On A Carousel" on
WABC 77 on my transistor radio. I went out the same day and
bought the 45 and have been a fan ever since Smile
PostPosted:Sat Jan 08, 2005 22:51 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Hans Post subject:

When I heard "bus stop" in the radio for the first time, a switch was operated in my head. I thought: " that's it -- music should be played exactly this way!"
I am a Hollies fan since then.
PostPosted:Sun Apr 24, 2005 19:36 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
loenen16 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Very Happy the point where i interested was hearing of THE BABY and later on MAGIC WOMAN TOUCH for wich was my first single bought but i think that an album i got from my dad was the real reason that i became a hollies fan it was a best off
and sometimes it was very hard to get my records from the hollies Twisted Evil i remember i was in hospital when SOLDIER SONG came out in holland i heard it on hospital radio i ordered it and it was not available over here so i had to wait untill it came on cd format .so my interesrt in hollies is over 32 years and it will be as long as i ........................................
PostPosted:Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:45 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I was getting into Buddy Holly last year and I heard that this band called The Hollies were influenced by them. One night during the summer I was up late watching Beat Club when I saw this old '60s band and I said "I bet that's The Hollies". I was correct.

I enjoyed the song it was unusual. Then I heard it another night, it was called Look Through Any Window. I downloaded it off the net and listened to it about 1,000 times that night before bed. I knew there was something special so I bought 20 Golden Greats less than a year later I've got dozens Hollies records and they are my favourite band.

Micheal
PostPosted:Thu Apr 28, 2005 19:21 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Ozzy Post subject:

Being a teenager in the 60's, & confronted with all the fantasic music,
when The Hollies released
Look thru any window
I can't let go
Listen to me
etc. etc.
I knew they were special & a band who's music would linger forever.
I only wish they would return here for a gig !
Not as prolific as The Beatles, but every bit as good !

PostPosted:Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:44 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Hope2005 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

I became a Hollies fan in 1988 at the age of 5yrs old. My parents had their 'Golden Greats' CD which they played a lot and I liked it straight away. He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother' and 'The Air That I Breathe' were my favorite tracks. I have now seen the group 3 times which has been a joy, and I have 'The Greatest Hits' and 'long Road Home' boxset.

PostPosted:Sun Nov 13, 2005 15:37 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Baz Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

It was thanks to my parents I got into The Hollies which is rather ironic since neither of them could stand them! To this day why they had a copy of "Jennifer Eccles" remains unknown! Since they never played this single, I gave it a spin when they weren't around and I can't honestly say I was impressed.

Out of curiosity, I flipped the single over and played "Open Up Your Eyes" and immediately liked it. However, the part that really grabbed me about that song was the amazing harmony arrangement on the final chorus where Clarke and Hicks sing as normal whilst Graham Nash sang a contrasting searing vocal over it. I thought this was extremely clever... still do.

From there it was to the "20 Golden Greats" album which of course, I loved. The track that grabbed me on that was "I Can't Let Go", again, a truly stunning arrangement. As is pretty obvious, it was their vocal arrangements that deeply made an impression and got me hooked. Can you imagine then how I felt when I finally heard "Pay You Back With Interest" and "Dear Eloise"?

And that was in 1985! Ever since then, The Hollies have remained a vital important part of my life. God bless 'em all and long may they "shine on"!
PostPosted:Sun Nov 13, 2005 20:40 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Jepp5 Post subject:

I was 15 when I first discovered The Hollies. It was 1974 and "The Air That I Breathe" quickly became a favorite song of mine. I bought the 45 (do I have to explain to anyone what a 45 is? Smile ) and darn near wore it out that summer.

Later that year I found an album called "The Very Best of The Hollies" in the bargain bin. Shocked "Bus Stop," "Pay You Back With Interest," and "I Can't Let Go" quickly became favorites of mine. My love for The Hollies has grown ever since. I have darn near every song they've ever recorded on either CD or LP now. But I still would have to list "The Air That I Breathe" as my favorite.
PostPosted:Sat Nov 19, 2005 18:34 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
håkan strandberg Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Today It"s 45 years since I became a Hollie fan (and still are and will be till the end of time).That was when I heard Stay the first time when It"s enter the swedish top ten(tio i topp).at place 7 it stayed for 5 weeks.Stay are still one of my favourite Hollie songs. I"ve got about 145 records by hollies (singels Lp"s Cd"s)and Allan"s and Graham"s solo records.That fascinated me most was Allan Clarkes voice.

LONG LIVE THE HOLLIES.

Have a nice evning.

Håkan.
PostPosted:Sun Feb 01, 2009 15:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
malco Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Stop, Stop, Stop was the song that took my attention at the age of 15 in 1966. The banjo introduction and Alan Clarke's delivery turned me into a life long Hollies fan from that time on.
PostPosted:Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:56 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next