graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » A Bunch of Songs
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject: A Bunch of Songs
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I know my post sounds like a Foster and Allen album but there are a few tunes I would like to put out there for discussion.

Loving You Ain't So Easy-- I think this is one of the strongest Hollies tracks of the 70s. Does anyone know who wrote it? I think it would have made a great single even though it wasn’t even put on an album. I wonder why it wasn't used. Clarke's vocal is powerfully emotional and the song builds up nicely without ever being overdone. The instrumentation is pretty simple and timeless, no disco beats.

Son of A Rotten Gambler-- I like this number and I think The Hollies version is as good as Chip Taylor's or Melanie Safka's in its own way. It's a little bit '60s in its production towards the end of the song? I just fall for this pseudo- meaningful type song. I think Clarke does a terrific vocal on the "When His Eyes shine upon you " line. The voice just soars.

Come Down To The Shore-- This is a really nice unreleased song too. It's pleasant and sums up the beach for me, "If you want to know what life is for come down to the shore"

Oriental Sadness-- I think this song is absolutely brilliant. The oriental sounding descending chords and the big gong underneath. Great harmonies. The first "modern" post- beat group sounding Hollies song?

Rain on The Window-- Another brilliant self- penned number. Very atmospheric. I love how the middle section is sung, "We made love that night while the rain beat down on my window". Amazing. The song paints such vivid pictures but I always wonder if it's supposed to be about impotence or something? There is another Hollies song with a similar theme but I can't remember which.

Lullaby For Tim-- I think this is such an imaginative, pretty song that the warble effect doesn't ruin it. The guitar is great and Bernie's bass is absolutely spot on perfect. I also think that Graham sings it with real skill and intelligence. I wonder if they could get the original tapes and release a straight version of the song? or find a demo with Allan singing? after all it was written by him for his song.

Hey Willy-- Ah, the least talked about Hollies single ever.

Micheal
PostPosted:Thu Dec 02, 2004 22:44 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Michael!

Just listened to Loving You Ain't Easy again, it's a good song but I don't see it as one of the best '70s Hollies tracks at all.

Son Of A Rotten Gambler is a great song! I love the rhythm guitar in the chorus! Should have been a greater success!

I can't understand why they haven't put Layin' To The Music and Come Down To The Shore on Another Night. I love them both. They both have a great feeling!

I don't know Oriental Sadness...

Well, I like Rain On The Window but I don't regard it as a brilliant song, it's good but their are better ones on the Evolution album in my opinion!

Lullaby For Tim is just horrible IMHO. It's really no strong song but the underwatereffect totally ruins this weak one for me...

That's right, Hey Willy is the least talked about Hollies single ever! But it's a great song. Great rocking riff. By the way, the b-side is equally strong.
PostPosted:Fri Dec 03, 2004 18:27 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1