graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Hollies Influences
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hempmaboab Susie Question Ur ye still ut it Exclamation Ye canny get much further back than 64. And you've got to remember that thousands of black velvets later, Allan,Tony and Graham arnen't exactly going to remember what they said in 64 even less why they said it. (ah canny remember what I said last night, in fact I'm dreading to find out) and Graham for a time was on something even stronger (his own words) so even if he says something to the conterary it'll be a memory lapse or even just not wanting to upset popular opinion, so I wouldn't even accept his word as sure and certain (Sorry Shells)
GordonJ Happy on the 'Whisky Highway' check out R......oh helpmajings a forgot ah'm not allowed to deviate from the subject. Ah'll put it in the bit that's meant for that sort of thing. Rob's reaching in ees pocket for the yellow card.
PostPosted:Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:38 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Gordy..... if the Hollies were around 40 years ago, it wid be difficult tae gang any further than '64, maybe 63 dontcha fink??

Anyway, I've spoken to Brian and he's gonna ask Billy... I could ask him myself but I wouldn't ever use his addy for something like this.... it's for emergencies only.....

Also, you'd be surprise what he can remember... whether he was or wasn't isn't an issue cos I am sure the original members of the band will remember sommat like that! After all, I am sure he can remember why they called themselves the Hollies Very Happy

WHAT are you on about deviating from the subject...

Catchya later cos I am sure there will be some sorta reply

Shells
The Queen of Scottish Knits
xxx
PostPosted:Sat Jan 31, 2004 15:42 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hey people

I have an answer to the query about the Hollies' name... This is a quote from Brian Garnett, he knows more about the Hollies than a lot of people and has a good memory too... better than moi!

Very Happy
Quote:
Neither!!! The Hollies decided on that name because they first met and formed aty Christmas and there was holly displayed in the house where they met, Grahams I believe. I think it was Al who looked at the holly and said, "The Hollies". Billy and 'Arold were more into the Everly Bros than Buddy Holly. BTW the readon Hollies has ies INSTEAD of y was to deflect people thinking they were 'feeding off Buddy Holly'.

There you have it.

Hope this clears up the mystery for us all Laughing

Shells
xxx
PostPosted:Sat Jan 31, 2004 23:36 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Cool Thanks shells for settling the dispute on how the Hollies got their name. That means that the guy who narrated the Buddy Holly biography I saw on T.V. didn't know what he was talking about when he said The Hollies got their name as a tribute to Buddy and neither did the people who printed the various articles I've read about the band in the many pop music books I have. I also read the same thing on the internet somewhere. Confused

So I have come to one conclusion, I can't always believe everything I read or hear. I am one person who is not afraid to admit it when I have made a mistake. Embarassed

Bye for now

Susie
PostPosted:Sun Feb 01, 2004 0:00 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gina Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

That's what I got on MC from an BBC interview, called the "Hollies Profile" recorded from BFBS in 1980. In brief what Allan said: he started at the age of twelve with Graham as the "Two Teens" playing skiffle, with Lonnie Donegan as an idol. With the arising of Rock'n'Roll they had to change, performed as "Fourtones" influenced by the Everly Brothers and Buddy Holly. They did three hours shows under different names with with five band members all in all. So they were "Ricky and Dane Young", the "Flintstones", dressed in cave skins!!!(I'd love to see a pic...) and also appeared as the "Deltas".They had just reformed the band (Graham, Allan,Don Rathborne, Eric Haydock and Vic Steele) and were sittin in the coffeebar at the "Oasis", thinking about a name ("Bootleggers","Fivetones" were thrown in), when the club manager came in saying: you have to be on stage in two minutes, how to announce you? It was New Year's Eve and the place was decorated with...
Gina
PostPosted:Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:06 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

My pleasure Susie Laughing

I aim to please! Very Happy

I was convinced it was the Buddy Holly influence too, but hey, I gottit wrong too! Brian is a great source of knowledge cos he grew up with the lads and, living in Salford, The Hollies were his local band. Any other disputes we can ask him... Gordy was wrong that noone would know what happened way back then... all you need is a good memory! Laughing

Like you Susie, I will admit when I am wrong. I think the media sometimes make it up as they go along, don't you?

Thanks for your input Gina..... Isn't it amazing that one of The Hollie's influences, Lonnie Donegan came from that other great place, Glasgow? Cool Manchester and Glasgow are very alike and a lot of Glaswegians have moved down there and vice versa. As I said earlier, listening to the Everly Brothers the other day, you can hear the distinctive Hollies sound filtering through... I actually felt like I was listening to them rather than the Everly's! Maybe cos of the tracks... some of them I've heard our lads performing so that could be why Cool

The Hollies are special, always have been and always will be in my book. Wherever they got their influences from, they are the best.... Smile

Shells
xxx
PostPosted:Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:52 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Shells Smile

I'm glad I'm not the on one who believed that the Hollies got there name from Buddy Holly and there are probably other out there who thought the same.

Well anyway, I was surfing the net Yesterday and I accidently came across another Article on the Hollies. It said when they were formed and it also had how they got their name. It says that The Hollies chose their name to honor Buddy Holly or it was Christmas and they were named after the Holly decoration depending on who is telling the story

So Shells, Gordon, H&C and Holliesfan when you think about it we are all right because no-one can prove which story is the right one.

All the best

Susie Rolling Eyes
PostPosted:Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:25 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Well Susie

You know what ya gotta do dontcha Question

Go to the site and put them straight! After all the info I got came from the "horse's" mouth or as near as we are gonna get don't ya agree? Very Happy

What site did you see it on anyway? I am willing to bet it's a fan site who like us has heard the story so we should be spreading the true story shouldn't we. Laughing

I just urve setting the record straight! Evil or Very Mad But then if they can't get their facts straight they shouldn't have that up there... should they Laughing

Have a great deay

Shells
xxx
PostPosted:Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:45 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Beebs Post subject: Another theory...just to through a monkeywrench in the works

Always a troublemaker, allow me to provide an alternate theory regarding the "name thang"...this provided by Mr. C. himself in the December 2003 issue of Goldmine Magazine:

By 1962, the band went under the name The Hollies. It is a widely accepted part of The Hollies' story - and is even repeated in the liner notes to the new box set- that the name was a tribute to one of their biggest heroes of the original rock 'n' roll era, but Clarke revealed that this is completely erroneous.

"We were at a gig at a club called The Oasis, which is in Manchester, and it was Christmas Eve and we'd just formed and we didn't really know what name we were going to call ourselves. The owner of the club says, 'Well you'd better make your minds up 'cause you're on next.' Now, we did like Buddy Holly, but the first thing that came to my mind was it was Christmas and the place was decorated with holly. I said, 'Call us The Hollies.'"

Hope it was okay to post this -- I'm not in trouble am I???

Beebs
PostPosted:Tue Feb 03, 2004 20:22 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
KathyGoGo Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Hi Beebs. You're not in trouble with me. I saw an interview a while ago where I seem to remember Tony saying that he didn't remember where the name came from. He said it was probably a mixture of the two arguments. But I suppose it is hard to remember what happened 40 years ago. Thanks Shells for asking Brian Garnett.

PostPosted:Tue Feb 03, 2004 20:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Sharon Olson Post subject: Hollies Influences
Banjo

Banjo

Hi All,

Gordon and Susie,

I don't know if the debate will ever be solved. I, myself, like to think it was a little of both, leaning more towards the Christmas theory. My influence comes from the 30th anniversary collection. " While they liked Buddy Holly their new name was more likely inspired by the holiday that was on everyone's minds at the time--Christmas. Eric recalls, "The name came completely out of desperation. I think it was Allan Clarke who came up with it." Allan explains, "We were asked, "Well, what name are you going to go under tonight, guy?' And it was like, (snaps fingers) 'Of course, The Hollies. Just for tonight.'"

I'm not sure that they know themselves. Shari
PostPosted:Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:27 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I have heard Allan or Tony say in a 90's concert that they got their name from Buddy Holly, hey who really knows. I would believe thats more the case than the Christmas Holly story. I find it hard to believe that the group just looked around and thought up the name before they went on stage.
Oh well thats my say,
Anthony

PostPosted:Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:03 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi all Exclamation

I am getting a bored with dabating about how The Hollies got their name. So I am still going to believe The Buddy Holly story because it sounds better and more sensible than The Decoration one.

And Shells Question I can't remember were on The Net I saw the article because I was just surfing the net and saw the word Hollies and I click on it and read it and it had both stories of how the boys got their name and said that it depends on who's telling the story. If I come across the site again I will write down the address and let you know.

All the best

Susie Smile
PostPosted:Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:02 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi all Exclamation

I found that Hollies Article I mentioned. Smile

The address is:- www.classicbands.com

On the Home Page to the left is a list, you click on biographies and that will take you to an alphabetical listing, just scroll down until your see the word Hollies and click on it and you should get the artical. Razz

All the best

Susie Rolling Eyes
PostPosted:Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:47 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks Susie Very Happy

I've written to them to tell them of the mistake! Wonder if they'll listen to me Laughing Ah well, you're entitled to believe what you want and where they got their name, and it's getting boring debating. I still believe Bri's version though! Laughing

All that matters is that we've got the Hollies still around after all this time. I think it's about time this topic was put to bed, so maybe we should get Rob to lock it? Whatchafink guys?

The site you gave me is great though and it's fun reading all the biographies... I'll let you know if I get a reply to my message!

Catch up soon

Shells
xxx
PostPosted:Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:49 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic