graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Hollies Influences
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject: Hollies Influences
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Can anyone talk about the early Hollies musical influences(performers) and whether the lads ever got to meet any of them? I know the Everly Brothers were one.
PostPosted:Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:26 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I think Buddy Holly was another big influence and Bobby Elliott was highly influeced by jazz and literaly brought Jazz drumming into rock n roll.
GordonJ
PostPosted:Tue Jan 27, 2004 21:46 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Gordon Exclamation

You are right, Buddy Holly was one of The Hollies big influences, in fact the boys chose there name as a tribute to him.

All the best

Susie

Rolling Eyes Cool
PostPosted:Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:21 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hmm, there's a bit of a dispute about that and I tend to believe the story of the name being derived from the Christmas decoration. This is the earliest one I can find in print, but then again, it's the first one I ever heard. It's yet another of those 'hollies mysterys' that'll probobly never be solved. Confused
GordonJ
PostPosted:Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:39 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Gordon

I saw a biography on Buddy Holly on T.V. a couple of months ago and the guy on that said that The Hollies chose their name as a tribute to him and I also read the same thing on The Internet somewhere and in a few pop music books I have. Someone should find Allan Clarke or Graham Nash or even ask Tony or Bobby where the band got their name.

All the best

Susie
PostPosted:Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:08 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I can assure you Susie, there would still be a dispute. Especially among the names you've mentioned. I suppose I believe the one I do because it's the one I like the best. BUT! as I said before it's the earliest explination I've found. If I can find the source again, I'll let you know.
GordonJ
PostPosted:Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:44 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Smile O.K. Gordon, we can go on disputing how The Hollies chose their name forever, so to settle the argument, I will believe the story I read and heard and you can believe the story you heard.

Has anyone else heard or read a story of how the Hollies got their name because Gordon and I would appreciate your knowledge:!: Thankyou Cool

All the best

Susie Rolling Eyes
PostPosted:Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:46 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I'd love to find where I first read the info. I know it was quite old. Then we could find out if anyone has any older info and that might put some light on the matter. Regardless of what Allan or Tony said on stage in the nineties, they could both be right patter merchants at times. IE promising there would be no medleys when fully intending to do one.
No offence intended.......but it's troooo Exclamation
PostPosted:Fri Jan 30, 2004 14:37 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
h&c Post subject:

We've got a copy of the 1964 "How To Run A Beat Group" written by the band and the quote from the book is as follows.....

"Perhaps The Hollies were lucky the way they found their name. It was Christmas time, they had just reformed as a group after leaving the others, and they desperately needed a name. As they sat in the sitting room of Tony's home, they looked around at the Christmas decorations, which included...holly, of course. Nobody will ever know just who shouted the name: "HOLLIES!" first, as the boys are still disputing the matter!"

I think the Buddy Holly story came about as certain members of the group were embarrassed Embarassed to be named after a Christmas decoration.

H&C
PostPosted:Fri Jan 30, 2004 15:28 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
GordonJ Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Thanks H and C Question (I ken who yiz ur) Twisted Evil I think that settles it Very Happy HOWEVER Exclamation Having to be controversial as allways, I had read it was Graham's house they were sitting in. After all Graham lived in Salford and Tony in Nelson, so what would they be doing in Tony's house away up there when they were based in Manchester?
GordonJ
PostPosted:Fri Jan 30, 2004 17:30 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Laughing Thanks h&C, for settling this dispute about how The Hollies got their name. I heard and read The Buddy Holly story so many times over the years that I actually believed that was how the boys chose their name. I think I would be embarrassed too if I was named after a Christmas decoration (if that story is the right story). Only the original band members know the true story. Wink

All the best

Susie
PostPosted:Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:25 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I believe Allan was once quoted as saying "the room was strewn with Holly bu I suppose we were also fans of Buddy Holly".
PostPosted:Sat Jan 31, 2004 2:42 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Rolling Eyes The story I heard and read is that Allan and Graham were fans of Buddy Holly so they named the band in his honor and that is the story I will keep believing until I hear or see evidence to prove otherwise. Beside it sounds better than the decoration story (Sorry Gordon and holliesfan). Confused

All the best

Susie Razz
PostPosted:Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:04 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Susie and Gordon

I'll find out how they got their name for you. I work in partnership with Brian Garnett on the GNAE Awards Programme and he's a personal friend of Graham Nash..... We'll soon settle the dispute cos Brian will find out the real story.

I have a feeling that Susie is right Gordon and H&C cos I remember reading the thing about the Buddy Holly connection. I have to say though that on the sleeve of the original vinyl LP of Hollies Sing Hollies it tells you there that Buddy Holly was their inspiration and that's why they called themselves the Hollies. Very Happy

Shells
The Queen of Scottish Knits
xxx
PostPosted:Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:08 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Shells2907 Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Forgot to mention...

My hubby, Raymond, is a Hollies fan like me, but he loves the Everly Brothers music too. A few weeks ago, he bought a CD of the Everly's Greatest Hits and it plays continuously when we are in the car...

The Hollies took a lot of influence from them and listening to some of the tracks, you can hear the style the Hollies use Question .... sometimes I think it is them singing.... mind you I've heard them singing Everly hits in concert before so maybe that's why I am hearing it.... anyone else notice it? Question

Shells
The Queen of Scottish Knits
xxx
PostPosted:Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:29 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic