graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road » HIGH WYCOMBE - 14 NOVEMBER 2004
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Suzanne Post subject: HIGH WYCOMBE - 14 NOVEMBER 2004

Hi folks

I know I'm new to the forum but I wanted to start the Hollies in High Wycombe topic (I hope that's okay).

It's the first time I've ever seen The Hollies in a concert and they were fantastic! It was a real eye-opener for me too because I'd heard so many of their songs on the radio over the years but not always associated them as being by The Hollies. So excuse me if I state the obvious from time-to-time in this post but they really blew me away.

I will confess to having a reason for seeing The Hollies in the first place and that is Peter Howarth. Peter and I go back a long way together because of Cliff and I wanted to come along and support him. And it was great to see him leading a show rather than being a backing singer. I have to say that the short silver jacket reminded me of one of Cliff's more frightening outfits. Mind you, Peter's always had a habit of wearing flamboyant jackets - such as the pink tartan thing he had in 1994 with Cliff. I can't help worrying that he's acquired Cliff's dress sense (or is that lack of?) and, yes, I have told him that too.Laughing

Anyway, I was also surprised and pleased to see yet-another Cliff face from the past in the guise of Steve Lauri (a band member from 1987-1990). I knew he'd sung the odd backing vocal for Cliff too but he was a treat to hear on his own.

Can I just say that Ray Styles, Ian Parker, Bobby Elliot and Tony Hicks were amazing too? Ray seems to have so much energy and Tony's guitar skills are phenonmenal.

And the songs, which sound so great on record, are terrific when performed live. The gutso of "I'm Alive" , in particular, left me wishing that they would perform it all night. Seriously folks, a live CD of one of these shows would be a real treat if it was possible.

A silly question: is Flowers In the Rain available on any Hollies CD? I am new to The Hollies and am relying on this website to fill in all the gaps in my knowlege (which are gaping holes rather than gaps).

I could rave for hours about this show (sadly I've not found anybody to rave to yet) but I would blether on and on and on and I really don't think this forum is ready for me to be fully unleashed on them yet. Very Happy
PostPosted:Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:08 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Suzanne - Flowers in the Rain is a Move song, which the band covered well with Carl Wayne on lead vocals. Sadly, as the band continue not to release a live CD or DVD as all us fans have requested, we don't have a Hollies version. The buggers! Laughing
PostPosted:Thu Nov 18, 2004 20:49 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

... and Tiger Feet is a Mud song we'd also love to have on Hollies live DVD release!
PostPosted:Thu Nov 18, 2004 21:09 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Suzanne Post subject:

Ooh - a live CD or video/DVD would be wonderful.

Here I am, a few days later and I'm still on cloud nine. I had such a good time. I would have said hello but I didn't know anybody. Oh well, perhaps I'll see you all on the next tour.

Things still keep springing to mind that aren't really a review of the show (you can get that elsewhere) but are memories from my point-of-view. I loved the stage set-up - everybody could be clearly seen. I loved the acoustics (when The Swan was built, they got it right!). I loved hearing the songs live and the power behind it all. Even little gestures like the poppy on the drums and Ray Stiles wearing a poppy was thoughtful especially on the Remembrance Sunday; Soldiers Song took on a whole new meaning too.

I was happy to see that Peter seemed to go down so well; in the foyer beforehand I heard a woman say "well I dunno what this Peter Howarth person is like" - she sounded apprehensive. I hope she was impressed. I felt I had an advantage in being already aware of him but I was at a disadantage by not being fully-aware of The Hollies.

Tony Hicks is a guitar god isn't he? I was so impressed - and I loved Ray wiggling to Tiger Feet. One of the things that stood out for me is that The Hollies love performing live - they don't see it as something they have to do. I don't get to many concerts where there is inter-band banter during songs (except Fairport Convention); it makes everybody on the stage equal. Seeing a band that love to perform is far better than watching a band going through the motions because they feel obliged to (and I've been to concerts like that before as well).
PostPosted:Tue Nov 23, 2004 20:48 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes Tony Hicks is a guitar god!
PostPosted:Thu Nov 25, 2004 19:56 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Out On The Road