graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On » The inner sleeve of Allan's Legendary Heroes
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Otis Robb Post subject: The inner sleeve of Allan's Legendary Heroes
Banjo

Banjo

This was an okay album, but the q I have is that on the inner sleeve of the album, Mr. Clarke is browsing what looks like an antigue shop somewheres. The gentleman looking slightly 'amused' beside him looks like none other than Mr. McCartney. Or the guy is a good 'double' w/o question. What about this one guys and gals...till the next...

PostPosted:Wed Oct 13, 2004 15:22 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I just looked at the inner sleeve, that is not Paul McCartney! I don't think that this guy looks like him at all.
And Legendary Heroes is not an OK album it is a great one, one of the best I've ever heard, I'll write a review for this one soon.
PostPosted:Wed Oct 13, 2004 16:12 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Otis Robb Post subject: Please do so write a review of Legendary Heroes
Banjo

Banjo

You sound very angry about something, once again im looking at this from strictly a musical perspective and again the mix overly was okay.(I also run a studio, so) The songwriting was average, knowing what
Allen was/is very capable of. The gentle does look like Paul, Ive showed that sleeve to people who dont even know the group and say this guy does. Afternoon tea yet? Till the next...peace...

PostPosted:Wed Oct 13, 2004 18:44 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Otis!

I looked on it again now, in fact it's lying beside me, and I can't see where you see McCartney. I'm a big Beatles fan and I recognize everyone of them anywhere, well at least I think so. What I can tell you is that it's not him. If you think he looks like him, it's OK, I just don't see that. (ooh sounds a bit angry again)
I don't know about the mixing but I don't think that it's right to say things like the songwriting was average, first of all you (and I) can't judge things like that and we can't just say the songwriting is average, bad, good, great... You can say that you think that it's so! I write songs, too and I say that the songwriting isn't just average, but that is my personal opinion.
I'm not angry - it shouldn't sound like that. Maybe because I forgot the "I think" s. But if that offended you I apologize, it wasn't meant that way.
PostPosted:Wed Oct 13, 2004 20:20 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Otis Robb Post subject: Are We Looking at the Same Sleeve?
Banjo

Banjo

On my copy and yes there could be a descripency, the gentlemen in the black suit looks like Paul. Maybe I have a diff. copy than yours!. IT could possibly be. Anyhow, I say the guy in threads really resembles Paul!
(Maybe its the dude who started that PAUL IS DEAD THING IN 1969, so lets blame him whom ever he is- ha/ha/ha)

PostPosted:Thu Oct 14, 2004 16:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Otis Robb Post subject: No apology necessary...
Banjo

Banjo

Its great to defend what you appreciate, I deeply admire that! Like on the track Long Dark Road, etc. As for songwriting, in actuality, there are three; good bad and indifferent! (Like I mentioned previously, Has Tony or Allan been 100% satisfied with their guitar and vocal perforances respectively?) Its not being 'judgmental' its looking at the compostional brakdown of a song written. If that didnt happen all songs would be of the 'beyond criticism' syndrome. Now looking at Allan's solo endeavors, when Im saying average, they are good, but other criterion is being use.
On Arold, Allan was working in a format that didnt include any of the Hollies, period! He was co-writing with folks who performed with other artists (Herbie Flowers-Elton John, Sky) or using artists such as GERRY RAFFERTY who had his own band (STEALER'S WHEEL) Also he was working with individuals that werent really assocaited with the Hollies - GARY BROOKER OF PROCOL HARUM, ERIC DILLION WHO DRUMMED WITH FAT MATTRESS-THE BAND PUT TOGETHER BY EX-HENDRIX BASSIST NOEL REDDING, TONY NEWMAN WHO DRUMMED FOR DAVID BOWIE and other artist affliations. Unless one is accustomed to or is instantly 'on' with the interacted muscianship (jazz folk are notorius for that attribute), the results can be mixed at best. Thats how i FELT about his first solo effort. It was good (average) several outstanding tracks, but obviously was a foundation of what WAS to come (If he put out another solo, which he did). Legendary Heroes didnt exceed the first, since the focus seemed to be another mixed bag of good and bad. (Plus His rendition of BABY BLUE-THE BADFINGER SONG was like a filler,lets do a cover because we dont have any mo' original stuff. Okay then why was it included) I had soooo much expectations for this album that I was highly disappointed by it. Also what was the point of having a one-on deal with Elektra Records for that one here in the U.S. That MAY have contributed to the average material on the album. Im bringing up what happens in music at any given time and yes it has, and not to sound redudant may have been the case. I'm at least glad, Allan doesnt focus on the last of the three...till the next....peace to all....

PostPosted:Thu Oct 14, 2004 17:15 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hi Otis!

I don't know his first solo effort so I can't say anything to it.

To Legendary Heroes, I just don't see it that way, for example Slipstream has a great melody, just like Walls or Doomsday Cars. Brandenberg Plaza is one of the greatest rockers I have ever heard and I love The Survivor although I think that they should have begun the rocking section after the first chorus or the second verse, but a bit earlier than they did... but as I said, I will listen to it again and write a review for that on.
And to that average songwriting thing, I just don't think that one can say: "That is average songwriting on that album". You can just say that you think it's so, songs can't be seen objective...
PostPosted:Thu Oct 14, 2004 18:00 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Write On
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1