graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past » Hollies Sing Dylan
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I don't think you have understood my point.
At some other point and topic I might ask about whether you like The Bee Gees or not. It's just that some people might like falsetto voices and The Bee Gees and The Four Seasons and I don't like the harsh tone you use.
And, by the way, The Bee Gees had with their disco material a great influence on the bands of the 1970s. I'm sure that on "Russian Roulette" album there is some Bee Gees influence (although I totally disagree that The Hollies were like The Bee Gees around that time).
But I must admit that I also like their 1960s material more.
PostPosted:Sat May 24, 2008 10:04 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:
I don't think you have understood my point.
At some other point and topic I might ask about whether you like The Bee Gees or not. It's just that some people might like falsetto voices and The Bee Gees and The Four Seasons and I don't like the harsh tone you use.
And, by the way, The Bee Gees had with their disco material a great influence on the bands of the 1970s. I'm sure that on "Russian Roulette" album there is some Bee Gees influence (although I totally disagree that The Hollies were like The Bee Gees around that time).
But I must admit that I also like their 1960s material more.

By the late 1970s EVERY established act was jumping on the disco bandwagon; The Stones (Miss You), The Kinks (Superman), The Who (Eminence Front), etc. Same goes with The Hollies, but I think they had one of the better disco-styled tunes with "Draggin' My Heels". If they had gotten a producer to add some sparkle to the sound I think it would have been a hit. Their "do it yourself" approach did not produce the results needed.
PostPosted:Sat May 24, 2008 20:02 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yes, you're absolutely right. Although it's not one of their best ones I like the "Russian Roulette" album. Good for having a party.
Oh, and I don't want my last post to be misunderstood. I like the 1960s material by The Bee Gees more than their 1970s material. I did not mean The Hollies because I love The Hollies in EVERY decade. Very Happy
PostPosted:Sun May 25, 2008 9:37 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:
benny-b-goode wrote:
I don't know much about The Four Seasons but don't say that they are forever uncool. Don't be so hard, Dennis. There might be fans on this forum who like The Four Season. Don't forget that, please. Just say that you don't like them and everybody knows what your opinion is.
The Bee Gees also use falsetto voices and their chart success over the decades show that they somwehow never lost their coolness. Oh, and I like The Bee Gees Very Happy .

"Sheeeerrry, Sherry baby, Sheeeery, Sherry baby". Yikes! Where are my earplugs?
I can't stand the disco Bee Gees either; more horrendous falsetto hooey. I do, however, adore their 1960s work, before Robin left. After that, it was never the same. Some decent tunes here and there, but nothing that compares to their flawless Art-pop of 1967-9.

If you don't like it, don't listen to it. If someone else wants to comment on it and say they like it, they have a right to. Terry Sylvester sang falsetto and so did Paul McCartney. There are several great singers who did. It won't be appealing to everyone's ears, but you don't have to blast someone just because their opinion is different than yours. You can say you disagree, but in much more kinder way.

http://thehollies.proboards88.com
PostPosted:Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:50 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

That was my point. Criticism is ok but in a much more kinder way, please.
Thanks, Vrinda Very Happy
PostPosted:Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:42 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

benny-b-goode wrote:
That was my point. Criticism is ok but in a much more kinder way, please.
Thanks, Vrinda Very Happy
HEAR ! HEAR ! I totally agree Smile .

PostPosted:Tue Jun 03, 2008 15:02 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject: Re: Hollies Sing Dylan
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

DistantLight wrote:
This is hard to review because it's one of the most controversial albums the Hollies ever made! Some Dylan purists (if they know about the existence of this album) say it's crap but I can't really see their point! What I see or better say hear is that the Hollies made some big mistakes here! The first one is that many of the horn arrangements sound really datetd and corny. The second mistake was that Tony put too less guitar on the songs! On most songs we have a strumming acoustic guitar but where is the electric? On two songs! On the perfect Wheels On Fire, which is one of the best cuts and a rhythm guitar on Just like A Woman on. Well, and there is an electric sitar solo on I Shall Be Released. But to be fair there is the Rockabilly tune Quit Your Low Down Ways where Tony plays a hell of a great acoustic guitar which reminds you just how great he is, in case you have forgotten about his presence on the album!
Well and then we've got the tinny sound! Bobby Elliot does some great things but his drum sound isn't that good. So the album just doesn't sound as full and powerful as it could.
But enough of the bad sides: Most songs they recorded here sound better than every other version I have heard so far. When you ignore the horns on Blowing In The Wind you'll get a very inventive rearrangement of this well known Dylan tune! How the hell did they come up with that Blow-wo-wo-wo-woing in the wind chorus? That sounds so good!

Answer: They got the "Blow-wo-wo-wo-woing in the wind" bit from Stevie Wonder's version, something that I only recently discovered.
PostPosted:Sat Apr 09, 2011 21:42 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

That's actually a bit disappointing! Smile But thanks for the info. Will check out his version!
PostPosted:Mon May 23, 2011 21:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Or rather the Aretha Franklin version? Check YouTube for her version from Stockholm.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Tue May 24, 2011 6:01 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Well, it's WAY different from the Dylan original and from the ultra-hit from Peter Paul & Mary, so that's the big thing in that respect. And however Clarke's phrasing on that one line may have been influenced by others, overall the Hollies' version is absolutely unlike any other, with a very different arrangement.

Whether anyone else thinks it's a good or bad song (or whether the Dylan album is good or bad as a whole, for that matter), I've always enjoyed it and still play it now and then. For me, that's the test of an album: whether or not I want to give it repeated listenings. The album passes that test with flying colors.
PostPosted:Tue May 24, 2011 16:52 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Ray Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Yes I would agree Scott.

For me I have always enjoyed this album, probably because of the fact that some of the songs are rather sparse in their instrumentation. This keeps it simple. This album would easily rate in my top 5 favourite of Hollies albums, it regularly gets played by me.

Cheers
Ray
PostPosted:Wed May 25, 2011 10:42 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Anne Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Hollies Sing Dylan was the first album I purchased by The band. I think all the covers are performed in The Hollies own inimitable style. They always seem to take a song ( not necessarily their own) and make a damn good job on it and make it their own. My favourite is"This Wheels On Fire". Allan's vocals are superb and the musicianship is beyond compare !!
PostPosted:Sat May 28, 2011 3:51 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The idea was do do one of the very FIRST Tribute sets devoted to just the one artist
PostPosted:Sat May 28, 2011 10:27 am

Last edited by Gee on Sat Dec 03, 2011 20:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Graham wasn't a real big fan of the Dylan project in general, was he ?
But maybe it is not the actual album. I think The Hollies could have done something else and he wouldn't have liked it. He was too much into something else in 1968. He preferred folk, country and rock sounds of what he did then with Crosby, Stills and Young. Big band or beat music didn't seem to be of interest for him anymore.
Although The Hollies also did this kind of Americana style music they never would have liked to see themselves being restricted to it, I think.
When I listen to the Dylan album being the first project without Graham and the first CSN album compared to it it gets quite clear that Graham really wanted to go into another musical direction.
PostPosted:Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:47 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Regarding the Dylan album, as of the time if its release, how many of the 12 songs were very well known to the typical recordbuyer in early 1969?

In the US? In the UK?

All I Really Want To Do, The Mighty Quinn, Blowin' In The Wind, and Times They Are A-Changin' certainly had popular covers by other artists. OK, maybe I've heard the Byrds do My Back Pages, as well.

But what about the other tracks? None of the other songs jump out at me as being overly familiar. Let me put it this way: I don't ever hear cover versions of the other songs performed by anyone on the oldies stations that I listen to.

I was too young to know about Dylan then, so I'm curious as to what people thought of the songs chosen by the band back when it was a new release.

Personally, I think that mixing familiar Dylan songs along with some lesser known tracks from Dylan's catalog was the best way to do things. Who knows, it probably prompted some Hollies fans to explore some of Dylan's albums.
PostPosted:Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:20 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next