graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past » Out On The Road
graphic
Post new topic   Reply to topic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject: Out On The Road
Rythym Guitar


Rythym Guitar
Joined: 10 Apr 2004
Posts: 371
Location: Germany

This was the second and last album released with Mikael Rickfors as the lead singer and it was only released in Germany and Spain. This one is entirely selfwritten, unlike the previous Romany; we get songs by every bandmember, except Bernie Calvert. Even Bobby Elliot gets in one number co written with Terry Sylvester, the album closer Trans-Atlantic Est Bound Jet. Hicks and Lynch write 4 songs for the album, the title track which is a fast Rock'n'Roll song that was later re-recorded with Allan Clarke for the 1974 album just like Trans-Atlantic... , the Pop/Rockers I Was Born A Man and Nearer To You, the last one features a cute recorder, and they also contribute the funky Slow Down - Go Down which features Terry Sylvester on lead vocals. Terry also sings his two selfwritten songs, the quiet ballads Mr. Heartbreaker and Pick Up The Pieces. Rickfors came up with two tracks, another moody ballad The Last Wind and the great single Don't Leave The Child Alone. I didn't yet mention the two Rickfors/Sylvester collaborations A Better Place and They Don't Realise I'm Down which are also great and show that the bandmembers could really write together. It's a bit sad that they stopped here. The only complaint I could make about this album is that it's a bit too polished. Not like the harder edged Romany which featured some loud rockers. This one has rock songs too but they are cleaner than the ones they did before. So it's a very Pop orientated album which sounds a lot more commercial than the former one.

Best songs: Most songs are on the same level... maybe: Out On The Road, They Don't Realise I'm Down, Don't Leave The Child Alone

Worst songs: there ain't a single bad song on this album

Rating: It's a strong 9 bordering on 10, if it just was a little less polished...
PostPosted:Wed Sep 29, 2004 16:46 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar


Lead Guitar
Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 928
Location: Dunfermline, Fife

Good review! I'd agree, this is a VERY strong album and there isn't a bad song on it. I just wish it would be properly remastered for CD. Would make a great 2CD with Romany and rare unreleased tracks. Razz
PostPosted:Wed Sep 29, 2004 19:02 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
KingRickfors Post subject: Re Out On The Road



Joined: 18 Apr 2006
Posts: 17
Location: UK

Interesting that DL thinks this one is more polished than Romany as i i have seen an interview where the Hollies state that they were going for a looser live feel with Out On The Road ...... In fairnes, i think the looser feel is only noticeable on the rockier tracks ....

PS The Last Wind is a great Hollies track, reminiscent of CSN and nearly as good as Touch from Romany. The Hollies really lost a great songwriter when Rickfors departed.
PostPosted:Tue Apr 18, 2006 18:58 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: Re Out On The Road
Lead Guitar


Lead Guitar
Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 773
Location: Los Angeles

KingRickfors wrote:
Interesting that DL thinks this one is more polished than Romany as i i have seen an interview where the Hollies state that they were going for a looser live feel with Out On The Road ...... In fairnes, i think the looser feel is only noticeable on the rockier tracks ....

PS The Last Wind is a great Hollies track, reminiscent of CSN and nearly as good as Touch from Romany. The Hollies really lost a great songwriter when Rickfors departed.


I'd say they lost a lot more than that; a great singer, and the impetus to TRY HARDER as a band. It showed in the live shows and on record. A great shame they gave up with Rickfors after only 18 months.
PostPosted:Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:53 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject: Re: Re Out On The Road
Lead Guitar


Lead Guitar
Joined: 15 Oct 2004
Posts: 661
Location: Gahanna, Ohio USA

Dennis wrote:
KingRickfors wrote:
Interesting that DL thinks this one is more polished than Romany as i i have seen an interview where the Hollies state that they were going for a looser live feel with Out On The Road ...... In fairnes, i think the looser feel is only noticeable on the rockier tracks ....

PS The Last Wind is a great Hollies track, reminiscent of CSN and nearly as good as Touch from Romany. The Hollies really lost a great songwriter when Rickfors departed.


I'd say they lost a lot more than that; a great singer, and the impetus to TRY HARDER as a band. It showed in the live shows and on record. A great shame they gave up with Rickfors after only 18 months.


That's a bit overcritical of the 1974-80 outfit.

I don't think that there's much question that the '74 album and, more to the point, Another Night, are great albums. They put out some very good, and better than very good, work in those years.

Besides, as much as I love the two Rickfors albums, they are each far from flawless.
PostPosted:Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:03 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar


Rythym Guitar
Joined: 10 Apr 2004
Posts: 371
Location: Germany

I also think that most albums after the Rickfors-era are great (Another Night, Write On, Russian Roulette etc.) but I agree with Dennis in the point that they've "tried harder as a band" with Rickfors. Since he was new to the band it seems to me that they have put more effort in the albums with him. They sound fresher and younger, much more like a new hungry band who has to fight hard to be accepted. This freshness (although it came back on an album like "Write On") wasn't there for most of the following albums. After that they sounded, although still damn good most of the time, older and not as hungry anymore.
PostPosted:Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:54 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar


Lead Guitar
Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 773
Location: Los Angeles

DistantLight wrote:
I also think that most albums after the Rickfors-era are great (Another Night, Write On, Russian Roulette etc.) but I agree with Dennis in the point that they've "tried harder as a band" with Rickfors. Since he was new to the band it seems to me that they have put more effort in the albums with him. They sound fresher and younger, much more like a new hungry band who has to fight hard to be accepted. This freshness (although it came back on an album like "Write On") wasn't there for most of the following albums. After that they sounded, although still damn good most of the time, older and not as hungry anymore.


Exactly. They were, in essence, a new band with Rickfors. Fresh and inspired.
PostPosted:Sat Jul 15, 2006 16:24 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
benny-b-goode Post subject:
Rythym Guitar


Rythym Guitar
Joined: 08 Jun 2006
Posts: 293

I just wanted to give you my opinion about "Out On The Road" because it is one of my favourite Hollies albums. The reason is: It is stylistically so diverse. There are rock songs, ballads, country, reggae and folk-rock songs on the album.
No following album had so many different styles on it and most of all I wondered why they never tried to something like "The Last Wind" again because they could sound as good as CSN on songs like that and I really love it when they do it. I am quite annoyed that there aren't those acoustic "Unplugged" like versions of "Listen To Me" or "Too Young To Be Married" they played with Carl Wayne on CD, as well as those almost a capella versions of "It's In Everyone Of Us" or "Let Love Pass" with Peter Howarth then on CD they did at the very end of their shows. And as far as I know they did an a capella version of "Amazing Grace" in the 1970s with Allan Clarke. Those versions bring their great sounding harmonies to the front and I love it . "The Last wind" is one of their strongest proofs of that on record. I would like to hear more of that but they never tried anything in that folk-rock style again afterwards, as far as I know. So, that's why I really like the "Out On The Road" album. And as already mentioned: There isn't a single bad track on the album. I would like to see them putting some of those songs from that album into their live set with Peter Howarth now. It would be a great surprise. It would also be an opportunity for Tony to present one of his finest vocal numbers live ("Born A Man"). Great material! Thanks for that great album!
PostPosted:Sun Mar 18, 2007 21:23 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar


Lead Guitar
Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 773
Location: Los Angeles

benny-b-goode wrote:
I just wanted to give you my opinion about "Out On The Road" because it is one of my favourite Hollies albums. The reason is: It is stylistically so diverse. There are rock songs, ballads, country, reggae and folk-rock songs on the album.
No following album had so many different styles on it and most of all I wondered why they never tried to something like "The Last Wind" again because they could sound as good as CSN on songs like that and I really love it when they do it. I am quite annoyed that there aren't those acoustic "Unplugged" like versions of "Listen To Me" or "Too Young To Be Married" they played with Carl Wayne on CD, as well as those almost a capella versions of "It's In Everyone Of Us" or "Let Love Pass" with Peter Howarth then on CD they did at the very end of their shows. And as far as I know they did an a capella version of "Amazing Grace" in the 1970s with Allan Clarke. Those versions bring their great sounding harmonies to the front and I love it . "The Last wind" is one of their strongest proofs of that on record. I would like to hear more of that but they never tried anything in that folk-rock style again afterwards, as far as I know. So, that's why I really like the "Out On The Road" album. And as already mentioned: There isn't a single bad track on the album. I would like to see them putting some of those songs from that album into their live set with Peter Howarth now. It would be a great surprise. It would also be an opportunity for Tony to present one of his finest vocal numbers live ("Born A Man"). Great material! Thanks for that great album!


"Amazing Grace" was also in the band's set list with Mikael Rickfors. Unsure of the lyrics, Rickfors held a piece of paper with the words on it, with the three, he, Tony, and Terry singing accapella on one microphone. Magnificent.
"Out On The Road" is an excellent album, released at the time only in Germany, Spain, and the Phillipine Islands. 34 years on, it deserves a proper release by UK EMI (and US Epic).
PostPosted:Mon Mar 19, 2007 0:35 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject: Re: Re Out On The Road
Lead Guitar


Lead Guitar
Joined: 17 Feb 2004
Posts: 773
Location: Los Angeles

SpartyScott wrote:
Dennis wrote:
KingRickfors wrote:
Interesting that DL thinks this one is more polished than Romany as i i have seen an interview where the Hollies state that they were going for a looser live feel with Out On The Road ...... In fairnes, i think the looser feel is only noticeable on the rockier tracks ....

PS The Last Wind is a great Hollies track, reminiscent of CSN and nearly as good as Touch from Romany. The Hollies really lost a great songwriter when Rickfors departed.


I'd say they lost a lot more than that; a great singer, and the impetus to TRY HARDER as a band. It showed in the live shows and on record. A great shame they gave up with Rickfors after only 18 months.


That's a bit overcritical of the 1974-80 outfit.

I don't think that there's much question that the '74 album and, more to the point, Another Night, are great albums. They put out some very good, and better than very good, work in those years.

Besides, as much as I love the two Rickfors albums, they are each far from flawless.


"Romany" and "Out On The Road" are works of Art.
PostPosted:Mon Mar 19, 2007 0:38 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar


Acoustic Guitar
Joined: 02 Feb 2007
Posts: 149
Location: Delaware, USA

Out on the Road is one of my favorite Hollies albums. Mikael Rickfors proves once again that he's a talent to be reckoned with. There is something for everyone; there are rockin' tracks and there are soft ballads with sparkling harmonies.

Some highlights for me:

Slow Down, Go Down -- feel-good rocker (just gotta ignore that one line -- you know the one!)

The Last Wind -- the trademark Hollies harmonies soar

Nearer to You -- a nice lilting tune; love the first verse with Mikael's voice against Bernie's bass line.

Mr. Heartbreaker -- has Terry's voice ever sounded sweeter?

Pick Up the Pieces -- another beautiful Sylvester ballad

To me, this album seems less polished than Romany. But both albums are brilliant.

_________________
~*snowflake*~
PostPosted:Mon Mar 19, 2007 20:54 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
carlane3 Post subject: Re: Re Out On The Road
Banjo


Banjo
Joined: 06 Sep 2007
Posts: 45
Location: USA

Dennis wrote:
SpartyScott wrote:
Dennis wrote:
KingRickfors wrote:
Interesting that DL thinks this one is more polished than Romany as i i have seen an interview where the Hollies state that they were going for a looser live feel with Out On The Road ...... In fairnes, i think the looser feel is only noticeable on the rockier tracks ....

PS The Last Wind is a great Hollies track, reminiscent of CSN and nearly as good as Touch from Romany. The Hollies really lost a great songwriter when Rickfors departed.


I'd say they lost a lot more than that; a great singer, and the impetus to TRY HARDER as a band. It showed in the live shows and on record. A great shame they gave up with Rickfors after only 18 months.


That's a bit overcritical of the 1974-80 outfit.

I especially like all of the Hollies 1970's releases, but Romany and Out on the road hold a special place for me...they always sound fresh and diverse , no matter how often you listen to them.

I don't think that there's much question that the '74 album and, more to the point, Another Night, are great albums. They put out some very good, and better than very good, work in those years.

Besides, as much as I love the two Rickfors albums, they are each far from flawless.


"Romany" and "Out On The Road" are works of Art.
PostPosted:Wed Sep 12, 2007 15:45 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Agneta Post subject: Out on the road
Rythym Guitar


Rythym Guitar
Joined: 29 Oct 2006
Posts: 251
Location: Sweden

This review by Bobby is from the April/May fan club newsletter 1973.

"Another Hollies album rolls off the production line at Abbey Road and here I am ’percussionist extraordinaire’ Robert Hartley Elliott to try and give you my condensed impressions.

Our long serving producer Ron Richards sat in on this one and all the songs are by us Hollies. Here we go then:-

OUT ON THE ROAD. This is a rocker by Tony and his friend, Kenny. The story is that of a Rock Musician who is playing and travelling most of his life, consequently, he misses out on a few things back home. He always has his faithful lady waiting when he returns though – Good Girl!

THEY DON’T REALIZE I’M DOWN. A Terry and Mike composition. It’s a loose, mid-tempo thing tied together by eights played on the piano by Bernie. Tony was on WAH WAH guitar and uses it effectively and there’s room for some jiggery-pokery from drums and guitar before the fade.

THE LAST WIND. A Mikael composition about the sea and the solitude of sailing. Accoustically based, it rises to Tony’s guitar solo through a Lesley organ speaker. I use symbal rolls and odd tympani beats to add to the picture. A truly Magical song.

MR. HEARTBREAKER. By Mr. Sylvester, sung by Terry ‘heartbreaker’ himself. It gives a small insight into how a musician can feel when he’s down and a long way from home. Mike plays ‘Gob’ organ, Bernie piano - oh, yes, it’s in ¾ time.

BORN A MAN. Tony singing one of his own songs. It’s the story of a guy who missed out on his childhood. Nice middle eight backed up by ‘oohs’ and ‘ahs’ and tasteful guitar by Mr. Hicks.

A BETTER PLACE. Another of Tony’s songs. Mike sings of teaching people to love, which sounds fair enough. Tony uses electric sitar with WAH-WAH. Rocks along nicely.

SLOW DOWN – GO DOWN. A Tony and Kenny composition - up tempo- electric with a hint of banjo. Tells of a guy placing an order for a Custom Built Girl.

DON’T LEAVE THE CHILD ALONE. Another Mikael contribution. He sings about mother’s love and the importance of a child to her. Up tempo, changing to half time then back to full speed. Accoustic guitars sound nice.

NEARER TO YOU. Tony’s song with a reggae-type treatment. It’s about a guy hitching lifts and living rough in order to reach his girl. A recorder is featured in the intro and in the solo.

PICK UP THE PIECES. A sad Terry song of the complexities of love. Beautiful electric sitar by Tony, some ‘oohs’ and ‘ahs’, also electric piano by Bernie.

TRANS-ATLANTIC WEST BOUND JET. Written by Terry and Myself when we were in the States, it expresses the exhilaration one experiences flying to the United States and playing concerts there. Terry begins on acoustic and it builds into an electric production with a harpsicord on WAH-WAH playing a rhythm pattern underneath."
PostPosted:Wed Sep 19, 2007 19:36 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar


Lead Guitar
Joined: 16 Jan 2004
Posts: 928
Location: Dunfermline, Fife

Superb. Once again, many thanks Agneta! Cool

_________________
The Last Wind... don't eat curries late at night
PostPosted:Thu Sep 20, 2007 16:54 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar


Rythym Guitar
Joined: 10 Apr 2004
Posts: 371
Location: Germany

Thanks a lot! Great review from Bobby - very interesting to read! But what's about "A Better Place"? Did you or he just forget it or wasn't it suposed to be on the album at first?
PostPosted:Fri Sep 21, 2007 23:55 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
Post new topic   Reply to topic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past
graphic
   
graphic

graphic graphic
Display posts from previous:   
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
graphic graphic


KDM2 template v1.0.2 © jasidog.com
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
The time now is Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:19 am. All times are GMT