graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past » Sings Hollies in Reverse
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Otis Robb Post subject: Sings Hollies in Reverse
Banjo

Banjo

Alright, good day evening night and everything else in between! Finally gotten throught. But as they say, on with the show!
Mini review of this phenonmenal release: Sings Hollies in Reverse!
First of all, the price of admission is worth the artists who gracious participated and offered their invalued talents to this project. Second, Some new 'spins' to some obvious and some 'obscure' Hollies tracks through their career. Third, its great to know American musicians have been influenced by one of the best power pop, but highly underrated artists that have survived the adage of 'British Invasion'.
Alright so what about these groups. For the most part, they are excellent
companions to any of the Hollies essential releases. To have THE POSIES, TOMMY KEENE, THE LOUD FAMILY, STEVE WYNN,MITCH EASTER,THE FLAMINGOES,and THE CONTINETAL DRIFTERS ALL IN ONE PACKAGE doing these songs is, well, beyond words. If you are a lover of power pop then you'll love this one. The first track, 'King Midas in Reverse' was recorded about 15 years ago one of the best kept secrets from Billingham Wash,= The Posies. Actually this was issued on one of their earliest recordings that is sadly out of print. But DO they (JON AUER and KEN STRINGFELLOW) pull out all of the stops on this one. Heavily jangly,gnarlu guitars with an a big emphasis on melody and verve!
Tommy Keene 'Carrie Anne' -The reading is slightly different then the Hollies. No high Graham Nash falsetto like vocals, but wow Tommy Not only knows how to thread the energy of style and song into his own material, but has a wonderous knack for doing great justice to other people's chestnuts(He's covered Roxy Music Lou Reed and others on his albums). The Loud Family (taken from the early public television series from the early 70's) piloted by the one and only lyrical virtuoso-Scott Miller. Have always been a Game Theory fan(Scott's previous outing) and this track, 'Look Thru Any window' is a continuation in that view with heavy emphasis on trippy-like vocal passages and heavily impassioned guitar runs. Like how he excellerates the last quarter of the track to a different tempo. As for Steve Wynn, if you arent familar with his first band, THE DREAM SYNDICATE, you might be somewhat put off by this one, his 'rendition' of 'The Air That I Breathe' Its done in a real monotone but very breathy type phrasing, quite dank in spirit but nevertheless is a complete spin of the Hollies version of the Albert Hammond classic. I want to skip ahead to be creative. I really though CARLA OLSON's version of 'Touch' had a very alluring magic about itself that was rather strikingly different than the 73 version. Her vocal delivery is akin to a smoky like jazz songstress, but with a flavor of r&b thrown in for good measure. Speaking of. ex-Hollies Frontman, MIKEAL RIKFORS guests on guitar and bv's and adds a nice texture to the track. What else. Well why give it away...but I feel if you get this one youre ears will be delighted on the sounds they hear. Highly recommended is the rather obscure 'Water on the Brain' reconfigurated by the ever eclectic Flamingoes funsters.
So enjoy...till the next Otis Robb

PostPosted:Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:29 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Carrie Eloise Post subject:

I don't know...this album did nothing for me. The best part of the album is the notes that Allan and Graham contributed. I liked the concept, but there's a reason why Hollies songs are short and upbeat. This album is neither.
PostPosted:Fri Jun 22, 2007 17:34 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I have mixed feelings about this album, but I do like several tracks very much. I think The Posies do a fantastic reworking of "King Midas In Reverse", which I now prefer over The Hollies original, and E's slow, poignant rendering of "Jennifer Eccles" is very touching, and another excellent cover. These alone make the album worthwhile. When artists actually get creative and change an arrangement on a familiar tune, it can be quite effective, as with these two tracks.
PostPosted:Mon Jun 25, 2007 21:42 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1