graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past » What Goes Around
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject: What Goes Around
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

As I said in another post, I'm not too good at reviews but here goes nothing.

This album is another favourite of mine. In 1983 Graham Nash joined Allan, Tony and Bobby for a reunion tour and they also recorded this album and called it What Goes Around.

Casualty - This is a good fast song and one of my favourites.

Take My Love And Run - A new version of their 1980 single which I think is better.

Say That You'll Be Mine - A sort of a slow song but it has a nice tune to it.

Something Aint Right - This song is about a guy who feels that his relationship with the girl isn't going to well. It's a good fast song though.

If The Lights Go Out - Another version of their 1980 single of the same name which sounds similar.

Stop In The Name Of Love - This was also released as a single and is a revival of 60's group The Supremes song. In fact I like The Hollies version better that the original.

I got What I Want - I don't know why but I never did go much for this song but I still listen to it when I play the album.

Just one Look - A slow version of their 1964 hit and to tell you the truth I prefer the original.

Someone Elses Eyes - A nice song that I really like.

Having a good time - Another fast song and a good way to finish the album off.

Best Songs - Stop In The Name Of Love, Casualty, Some Elses Eyes and Having A Good Time

Worst Songs - I Got What I want, Just One Look

Rating: 9 out of 10

All The Best

Susie
PostPosted:Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:19 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

You did well Susie,
I don't mind this album.
I know this album didn't go down well with the fans. It's like we want new stuff, then it's oh we don't like it not really the Hollies sound. Hard to go forward when the fans are after only the 60's and 70's sounding Hollies. I think that may be one reason the Hollies really stopped recording.
Only real bad song was Just one look, far too slow lads, why bother doing it again and maybe Someone else's eyes for the slow reason too.
Great reunion album. Favourite, well it's hard to beat Something ain't right.

PostPosted:Sat Oct 02, 2004 0:49 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Anthony Exclamation

Thankyou for saying I did well with my review, glad you like it. I see that you agree with my on Just One Look, it is too slow isn't it Exclamation And you a right What Goes Around is a good reunion album. I have it on record and cassette and one day I hope to have a CD of it, if there are any around Smile

All The Best

Susie

Very Happy Razz
PostPosted:Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:24 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Susie,
I have the LP and then got a burnt copy of the cd, about a month ago I found a copy of the cd in Gaslight an import record shop in the city. You may have a chance where you have been able to get Allan's solo material. The label on the cd reads "Wounded Bird Records" I'd never heard of them, good luck, I hope you find a copy.
Bye,
Anthony

PostPosted:Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:49 am
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Anthony Exclamation

Friday is my day off work and I am going to visit Redeye in Sydney and look for the What Goes Around CD amongst all The Hollies CD's they have there Smile If they don't have it I will see if they can get it in for me Razz

All The Best

Susie

Cool Very Happy
PostPosted:Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:31 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

WGA was released first on Rock-in-Beat records (the same folks who issued Out On The Road on CD for the first time) - although this may be a bootleg. It was then issued by Wounded Bird and Magic Records on CD. I don't know what the sound quality is like on the last two issues, but the Rock-in-Beat version could do with a little cleaning up, although it does contain a hefty number of bonus tracks Wink
PostPosted:Sun Oct 03, 2004 16:15 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
speedwaybloke Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

I remember being absolutely thrilled when I heard that the Hollies were touring New Zealand and that there was a new album. There were mixed feelings when I heard that Nash had rejoined because, at that time, I only had Sylvester era albums. Information was very sketchy and I did not know that Bernie Calvert had also left. When the group toured I saw them and was very disappointed that Nash was not there. Jamie Moses filled in and, although he did a good job, it just wasn't the same.

Anyway, on to the album. I like the songs but not the way they are produced. I would much rather have heard the familiar guitar based sound instead of all the electronics. There also seems to be inconsistencies in the way the songs sound. The Alarn Tarney produced Something Aint Right is a case in point. It sounds just like a Cliff Richard number, not the way I want the Hollies to sound.

There was some suggestion that the reunion may have been more long term but Nash reconciled with Crosby & Stills so that was the end of his second stint with the Hollies.

Overall I like the album but it could have been better.
PostPosted:Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:26 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

For me, only three tracks make it:

1) Take My Love & Run (heard on New York radio twice; first in '81 as an import single, then again in the LP version. Why Atlantic failed to issue it as a single I'll never know. It seemed such an obvious choice. I was also let down by the fact that the band didn't include it in their set list during the reunion shows with Nash).

2) If The Lights Go Out (LP version; for some reason, the track was remixed, badly, for the single release. No wonder it got no airplay; the remix made the vocals sound out of whack)

3) Stop in the Name of Love (what a thrill it was to hear The Hollies on the radio again)

The rest of the album is weak. The songs are forgettable, the production heavy-handed and too artificial sounding. The remake of "Just One Look" is just plain wimpy.
PostPosted:Tue Jun 20, 2006 15:33 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Yes, those three are really the best songs on the album.

PostPosted:Tue Jun 20, 2006 16:16 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Dennis wrote:

1) Take My Love & Run (heard on New York radio twice; first in '81 as an import single, then again in the LP version. Why Atlantic failed to issue it as a single I'll never know. It seemed such an obvious choice. I was also let down by the fact that the band didn't include it in their set list during the reunion shows with Nash).

2) If The Lights Go Out (LP version; for some reason, the track was remixed, badly, for the single release. No wonder it got no airplay; the remix made the vocals sound out of whack)

3) Stop in the Name of Love (what a thrill it was to hear The Hollies on the radio again)

The rest of the album is weak. The songs are forgettable, the production heavy-handed and too artificial sounding. The remake of "Just One Look" is just plain wimpy.

I like every one of those songs. However, Something Ain't Right and Casualty are each fine fast-paced numbers, and I happen to enjoy the ballad Someone Else's Eyes.

As for Just One Look, heck, that's the only song that we really are sure that it's Graham singing. I hated it when I first bought the LP, but it's grown on me. When the current band plays that song, don't they give it more of a 1983 treatment rather than 1964?
PostPosted:Mon Jun 26, 2006 20:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

SpartyScott wrote:
Dennis wrote:

I like every one of those songs. However, Something Ain't Right and Casualty are each fine fast-paced numbers, and I happen to enjoy the ballad Someone Else's Eyes.

As for Just One Look, heck, that's the only song that we really are sure that it's Graham singing. I hated it when I first bought the LP, but it's grown on me. When the current band plays that song, don't they give it more of a 1983 treatment rather than 1964?

Glad you like those songs, but "Something Ain't Right" inadvertently sums up the whole project. "Casualty" has a synth line that sounds too much like the one in Laura Branagan's "Gloria" to my ears. "Someone Else's Eyes" made the Billboard AOR chart. It's too bland for The Hollies, OK for The Little River Band or Air Supply, I suppose.
PostPosted:Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:21 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: What Goes Around.....
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I understood it was Graham Nash who got them this WEA deal for the "reunion" album,after their "Top of the Pops" appearance doing "Hollidaze" Medley in 1981....originally the idea was a "full band reunion" but they found their original bassist "...just unable to play bass in the modern style...", [tho' no doubt he would argue that one.......]
PostPosted:Sat Jan 20, 2007 15:39 pm

Last edited by Gee on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Tony Wilkinson Post subject:

Blimey Geoff, you have certainly got plenty to say, after reading your posts I need to have a quiet lie down in a darkened room, your knowledge of all things 'Hollies' is definately second to none and is fascinating to read.
I feel that Hollies and Hollies related music is the soundtrack to my life and virtually nothing else will do and like many others frustrated with the Hollies management refusal to listen to the true wishes of Hollies fans requests for DVD releases (see video requests of nearly 20 years ago) and all the unreleased audio tracks covering the last 40 years, even tracks like ' Hard to forget', why as this not appeared on any of the many re-releases (thanks mostly to Magic records) that have surfaced recently ?
Thanks again for your contributions, I'm sure that there still is a lot more to come from you, but be carefull with your thoughts as big brother will be watching you..................!!!
PostPosted:Sat Jan 20, 2007 16:06 pm
graphic
Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Tony Wilkinson wrote:
Blimey Geoff, you have certainly got plenty to say, after reading your posts I need to have a quiet lie down in a darkened room, your knowledge of all things 'Hollies' is definately second to none and is fascinating to read.
I feel that Hollies and Hollies related music is the soundtrack to my life and virtually nothing else will do and like many others frustrated with the Hollies management refusal to listen to the true wishes of Hollies fans requests for DVD releases (see video requests of nearly 20 years ago) and all the unreleased audio tracks covering the last 40 years, even tracks like ' Hard to forget', why as this not appeared on any of the many re-releases (thanks mostly to Magic records) that have surfaced recently ?
Thanks again for your contributions, I'm sure that there still is a lot more to come from you, but be carefull with your thoughts as big brother will be watching you..................!!!

Well said Tony!

PostPosted:Sat Jan 20, 2007 17:35 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Too Much ?
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

indeed.
PostPosted:Sat Jan 20, 2007 18:49 pm

Last edited by Gee on Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic