graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past » Confessions Of The Mind
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject: Confessions Of The Mind
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

This album carrys on the style of Hollies Sing Hollies. It's another Pop/Rock Country influenced album. But this time there is no You Love 'Cos You Like It on it to sabotage the rating! The only songs I'm not really fond of are Seperated, it's got good acoustic guitar playing by Tony but as a song it's rather weak and Isn't It Nice which is too soft-rockish for my tastes but again it is saved by that beautiful guitar line in the intro! The opener is the Nash leftover Survival Of The Fittest which is a piano based Pop/Rocker with great drumming by Bobby Elliot and once again fantastic guitar playing by Tony!
On thing you can really say about this album: Tony Hicks is the star on here, unlike on Hollies Sing Hollies where Allan Clarke dominated. Here Hicks wrote 5 songs alone and the opener together with Clarke and Nash and plays a prominent guitar on nearly every track which lifts this album up. Little Girl is a folksy acoustic piece with some harmonica lines by Allan and Lady Please is another acoustic based country influenced song with that organ-lead-guitar sound by Tony. The other 3 tracks that he wrote are all killer tunes. The title track is a multi part epic with some great bits, the perfect Rocker Frightened Lady, with some OK-sounding flutes at the end and Too Young To Be Married , with brass arrangement that doesn't really fit, so I would say that the Live version on the Live Hits album is much better. I heard this was a big Hit in Australia and it's a favourite of a lot of fans! Apart from the above mentioned Isn't It Nice the Clarke/Sylvester team write the intense Man Without A Heart with a string only middle-section, the bluesy Rock'nRoll song Perfect Lady Housewife and the last song I Wanna Shout, which is only accompained by the drums in the verses. The first verse is sung by Terry Sylvester but it has kinda emarrassing lyrics in the first verse: Do you find it hard to tell me- To tell that you really love me - 'Cos I find it hard to tell you - To tell you that I really love you . Sounds very bad.
Compared to Hollies Sing Hollies I would consider it a little bit stronger because the weak tracks on here aren't as bad as the ones on Hollies Sing Hollies but the best tracks on here can't always compete with the best tracks on Sing Hollies. The only real stand out track is Too Young To Be Married and maybe Frightened Lady but they have a hard time to compete with the likes of Why Didn't You Believe, My Life Is Over With You, Please Let Me Please and Goodybye Tommorow so I can't give it a higher rating than Hollies Sing Hollies.

Best songs: Confessions Of The Mind(but only parts of it), Frightened Lady, Too Young To Be Married

Worst songs: Isn't It Nice, Seperated

Rating: 7 out of 10
PostPosted:Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:00 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Anthony Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi DistantLight,
I would say that this album was the Hollies Sgt.Pepper, I think it's full of brilliant recordings. Funny how it starts off with a Clarke-Nash-Hicks song as Graham had left. Well Survival has a great beat and gets the album off to a top start. I love Confessions of the mind (Song), it has so many parts to it, I feel it could have gone down well live. Little girl has brilliant words, really get stuck into the social issue of marriage breakdown. Isn't it nice is a beautiful lullaby.
Too Young to be married what a classic, it's one of the reasons why I'm here today. As you may know that was a number one in Australia and really got me hooked, Carrie Anne got me interested and Married just confirmed what a brilliant band these Hollies were. With the good comes the bad, what were they thinking when they did the album cover, it would have to go down as one of their worst.
Confessions ranks next to Hollies 1974 and Hollies live as my favourite albums.

A+ Classic album, not one dud number

PostPosted:Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:16 pm
graphic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
KathyGoGo Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Favourites - Confessions of A Mind; Man Without A Heart; Isn't It Nice; Survival Of The Fittest; Frightened Lady; Too Young To Be Married; I Wanna Shout.

PostPosted:Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:24 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I love this album except in this country it is called Moving Finger and there isn't a bad song on it. Very Happy

My favourites are -- Too Young To Be Married, Man Without a Heart, Confessions Of The Mind, Isn't It Nice and Dandelion Wine. Smile

Rating: 10 out of 10

All The Best

Susie

Cool Razz
PostPosted:Sun Oct 03, 2004 9:43 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

...and the Moving Finger album cover is far superior to the Confessions of the Mind one. A good album, some very strong songs on it.
PostPosted:Sun Oct 03, 2004 16:12 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
SpartyScott Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

http://forum.hollies.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=632

There's my post about Rolling Stone Magazine's review of the U.S. version of this album back from when the LP was originally released.
PostPosted:Fri Apr 28, 2006 13:19 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
speedwaybloke Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

I have just listened to this again for the first time in a couple of years. I like this album because of the variety of sounds and songs. Vocals, most arrangements and Tony Hicks' brilliant guitar work do it for me. The bluesey harmonica on Little Girl is fantastic. I agree with Distant Light, Isn't It Nice is a bit weak and I think could have been dropped. But I disagree on Separated. After the great social commentary lyrics (I think Hicks is at his best on this album) and stunning guitar on Too Young To Be Married, Separated follows on nicely. This should have been the last track on the album (put I Wanna Shout at the start of side 2) with an extra long play out of fantastic flamenco-like gutar. As in Australia TYTBM was a big hit in New Zealand. It became my favourite Hollies song.
PostPosted:Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:05 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1