graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past » Another Night
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject: Another Night
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Another Night from 1975 is my all time favourite Album. I am not very good at doing reviews but I'll try anything once. So Here goes.

Another Night -- The title trackis a nice little number although a bit sad and as the chorus goes "Another Night Saturday Night and I'm Losing".

Sandy -- Is a nice little ballad type song written by Bruce Springsteen who once approved of it when he heard The Hollies sing it. It was also released as a single. Sandy is the only song from this album that the band still performs at their concerts.

Lonely Hobo lullaby -- Another nice ballad type song and one of my favourites and with very strong vocals from Allan and nice harmonies from Tony and Terry.

Second Hand Hang Ups -- Is a good song but not their best though.

Time Machine Jive -- This is a great song and my favourite track, I think that it is very catchy. It is sort of a R&R song that I think you would be able to dance to. Bernie does some good piano playing in the instumental part of the song.

I'm Down -- Has some sad lyrics and I did read somewhere that this is why it didn' t sell too well when it was released as a single. But is a good song.

Look out Johnny (There's a monkey on your back) -- A good rock and roll number that would have been good to if it were played at a disco or something.

Give Me Time -- Another nice little ballad and one of my favourite tracks. Allan sounds great and puts some feeling into the song.

You Gave Me Life -- A good song but not one of their best though.

Lucy -- This song is about a woman who is leaving the man and the man asks in The Chorus How am I gonna tell the children that mama's going away Oh Lucy please stay. You can notice that Allan puts some feeling into the song with his nice strong vocals.

Another Night album is a mixture of ballads and fast songs and a brilliant album overall. I saw the Hollies in 1976 and I remember that they performed 4 songs from this album, Another Night, I'm Down, Sandy and Time Machine Jive

All The Best

Susie

Rating: 10 out of 10
PostPosted:Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:33 am

Last edited by Susie Hewett on Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
hollies Post subject:

Site Admin

Hi Susie

"Lucy" is really a song about a desperate man who is about to lose his lovely wife to illness and is going to have to bring up their children alone.

He agonises over whether to let her know that she is dying or to keep "making her happy by feeding her lines"

How does he tell the children "that Mama's goin' away"?

It is one of the saddest songs I have ever heard. It is sang with so much feeling and the harmonies are amongst the best The Hollies have ever produced.

I remember asking Tony back in the 80's if the song was written for anyone in particular and he said not. I know different. It was written for me and the many other fathers who have been in exactly that dreadful position.

My wife, Dianne, died 20 years ago next month at the age of 35 from Leukaemia, just 16 months after giving birth to our daughter Melanie.

The words of the song are so accurate to my life in every respect except one. I said for some time that "I couldn't love another woman", but I do. I later met my second wife Lesley and she changed my life and made it worth living once again.

Despite everything, this is one of the most beautiful songs by anyone and showcases The Hollies' harmonies at their very best. It always brings a tear to my eyes.

Hollies Forum
PostPosted:Wed Sep 22, 2004 19:16 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Susie Hewett Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi Rob Exclamation

Thanks for setting me straight with what the song Lucy is really about. All these years I thought it was about a man who's wife was walking out on him and the kids. And you are right it is a very sad song Sad

I am sorry to hear about you losing Dianne, I can imagine what you went through at the time. But then you found Lesley and may you have many more happy years together. Smile

All The Best

Susie
PostPosted:Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:10 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
DistantLight Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I think that this album is a bit ballad heavy although it has it's share of rockers like Time Machine Jive, Look Out Johnny (There's A Monkey On Your Back) and You Gave Me Life . But almost all of the ballads are good or even great. Lonely Hobo Lullaby, I'm Down and Give Me Time are among the best ballads the Hollies have ever recorded! I'm not a big fan of Sandy and Lucy. Instead of the first one they should have better recorded a more rocking Springsteen song as Allan Clarke did solo! The title track is a solid funky opener to this record.

Best songs: Lonely Hobo Lullaby, I'm Down, Give Me Time

Worst songs: Sandy, Lucy

Rating: 8 out of 10
PostPosted:Sat Sep 25, 2004 16:55 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Ruud Dude Post subject: Another Night

I'll have to say that this is one of my all-time favourite albums by the Hollies. Not a weak song in sight... Their treatment of 'Sandy' is brilliant especially compared to Bruce Springsteen's original...
'Lucy' is a strong song about a difficult subject...
And if I would have to pick out a somewhat weaker song, it would have to be 'Lookout Johnny'.... but that's only by a small margin... 'I'm Down' was quite a big hit in the Netherlands...
My favourite songs however are 'Another Night', 'Lonely Hobo Lullaby', 'You gave me life'and the aforementioned 'Lucy'.

Rating 9 out of 10. Laughing

PostPosted:Mon Sep 27, 2004 22:37 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message MSN Messenger Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1