The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past » Distant Light
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Anthony wrote:
Thanks Dennis for that info, 21 in the album charts shows how big they were in the States. I have heard that Long Dark Road was very popular in the US, have you seen the video clip of Tony singing it, BRILLIANT.

The only album that got higher on the US chart was the 1967 Greatest Hits on Imperial, which reached No. 11. Epic's lousy 3:25 edit of "Long Dark Road" got to No. 24 in Cashbox Magazine (#26 Billboard), and its followup, "Magic Woman Touch" reached No. 43 Cashbox (#60 Billboard). "Long Cool Woman" hit No. 1 on the Cashbox chart (#2 Billboard). I definitely prefer Cashbox's numbers. Wink

Yes, I know that live clip of "Long Dark Road" very well. I've only watched it about a zillion times! Tremendous. Tony sings lead, but Mikael takes over for the finish.
PostPosted:Fri May 05, 2006 1:00 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

[quote="Dennis"]
Anthony wrote:
Yes, I know that live clip of "Long Dark Road" very well. I've only watched it about a zillion times! Tremendous. Tony sings lead, but Mikael takes over for the finish.

Dennis - Any chance I can get a copy of this video?
PostPosted:Fri May 05, 2006 1:46 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

[quote="holliesfan"]
Dennis wrote:
Anthony wrote:

Dennis - Any chance I can get a copy of this video?

It's on some of the Hollies DVD compilations found on Ebay.
PostPosted:Fri May 05, 2006 16:46 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
speedwaybloke Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

I think this was their best album from the 70s and like others on this forum I don't think there is a dud song on it. The album is well constructed and the division of songs on each side in nearly perfect. The right song opens each side and the right song ends each side. I feel that is something that is missing from CDs because you don't stop half way through and turn them over (I tried but it just didn't work).

My album came with an insert that listed the songs and their lyrics on one side (handy when Allan Clarke's drawl got out of hand in a couple of instances) and, on the other side, the song list and the band members and the instruments they played. Some songs list Bernie Calvert as absent due to illness and Tony Hicks plays bass. I would love to know who the keyboard player(s) is(were). The piano on Cable Car is brilliant.

The songs feature the best of the band. Great lyrics (well, perhaps Cable Car is a little light weight), great vocals and harmonies, great variety in song styles and Tony Hicks' great guitar work again.

Interesting to note that 6 of the 11 songs were produced by The Hollies, the rest by Ron Richards.

Some have said they don't like you Know The Score. I think this song shows the versatility of the band and it's a shame they didn't do more of these untypical songs on later albums. Some other favourites include Little Thing Like Love for the vocals, To Do With Love for the fabulous guitar work, Pull Down The Blind is a great bluesy number, and the rest just because.
PostPosted:Wed May 10, 2006 10:29 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject: Hope you all don't mind if I "bump" this topic
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

This is one of my very favorite Hollies albums. It really rocks! I agree that there isn't a lot of harmony on most of the tracks, but I feel each song works and has merit.

I've always wondered about that saxophone in "Look What We've Got". Do any of you know who that is on sax? Does one of the Hollies have a hidden talent I don't know about? Is it a well-known sax player who sat in on the session? Or a studio musician? Anyone?

PostPosted:Mon Feb 12, 2007 22:57 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Guest Musicians...
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The Saxophone on "Look What Wev'e Got" was played by Jim Jewell (of Gallagher & Lyle's band...and a schoolchum of Bobby Elliott's apparently....)

Various other "guests" played on "Distant Light" including Gary Brooker (of Procol Harum) on keyboards, plus Herbie Flowers (Blue Mink / C.C.S. / Sky) on Bass guitar
Blue Mink's Madeline Bell is harmony vocalist on "What A life I've Led" and Madeline & Doris Troy both sang along on "Long Dark Road" (also, apparently so did Bobby Elliott ! ).

Both Bernie Calvert & Producer Ron Richards were absent through illness during the Recording sessions for this album.
Hope this is of help.
PostPosted:Mon Feb 12, 2007 23:27 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Thanks a lot, Geoff, for your info regarding the making of "Distant Light". I didn't realize that Doris Troy sang backup on this album (or Bobby Elliott, for that matter!) Your knowledge of Hollies history is truly amazing.

PostPosted:Tue Feb 13, 2007 14:09 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject: Re: Guest Musicians...
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I thought Bernie played bass on some tracks...Hicks on a few and Herbie Flowers on a few?

Brilliant album!

Geoff coles wrote:
The Saxophone on "Look What Wev'e Got" was played by Jim Jewell (of Gallagher & Lyle's band...and a schoolchum of Bobby Elliott's apparently....)

Various other "guests" played on "Distant Light" including Gary Brooker (of Procol Harum) on keyboards, plus Herbie Flowers (Blue Mink / C.C.S. / Sky) on Bass guitar
Blue Mink's Madeline Bell is harmony vocalist on "What A life I've Led" and Madeline & Doris Troy both sang along on "Long Dark Road" (also, apparently so did Bobby Elliott ! ).

Both Bernie Calvert & Producer Ron Richards were absent through illness during the Recording sessions for this album.
Hope this is of help.

PostPosted:Tue Feb 13, 2007 16:35 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject: Bassists....and other friends...plus "Distant Light's&a
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

According to the innersleeve Tony Hicks plays Bass on "What a life...","Hold On", "To Do With Love","Cable Car" and "Long Dark Road".....
PostPosted:Tue Feb 13, 2007 17:50 pm

Last edited by Gee on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
snowflake Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Geoff, thanks! Very Happy Another of my questions answered. I've always been intrigued by those two album covers. Love the contents of both!

PostPosted:Tue Feb 13, 2007 18:25 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

If I'm not mistaken, the Hollies former road manager Rod Shields has the original artwork for these two covers. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Who was credited with the artwork for each cover?
PostPosted:Tue Feb 13, 2007 21:45 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Hi - I'm pretty sure I posted some details on this before, but can't find them...oh well! Distant Light and Romany are both credited to 'Hipgnosis/Elgie', as is Allan Clarke's solo 'Headroom'. Information on the famous Hipgnosis art company can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipgnosis

A selection of their famous compositions here: http://freewayjam.blogspot.com/2005/08/album-art-hipgnosis.html

The actual designer was Colin Elgie, it looks like he's still in the business:
http://www.illustrationweb.com/ColinElgie/
http://www.colinelgie.com/index.html

Brilliant illustrator!

PostPosted:Tue Feb 13, 2007 22:27 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Reflections Of A Time Long Past
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2