graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » 'Crossfire' - 1978 B Side
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
IrelandCalling Post subject: 'Crossfire' - 1978 B Side

Hi all in Hollie-land!

A year and a half in, and I've heard the full Hollies catalogue (up tp 1983 anyway); the journey began the latter half of 2013 with my initial discovery of this great band, and in the 20 months or so I've heard the full album catalogue, have the Clark/Nash/Hicks set to complete the spaces between the 1964-1967 studio albums, and have got most of the Magic Editions to get the extra tracks for the albums from 1969 onwards (cannot find the Magic Edition of 'A Crazy Steal', which I know 'Crossfire' is on)

The albums in particular from 1969 - 1974 I think are terrific, and continued the evolution of the Hollies sound that had been building through the fantastic Nash years. 1975-1983 a little more mellow and middle of the road in places; the 1976 albums though ('Write On' and 'Russian Roulette') are quite darn great!

1978 was the final self penned albums by the lads, and even though it was mostly ballads, I do like it. It's nowhere near the quality of 1964-1974, or the quality of 1976's pair of fine Hollies discs, but it does have it charms. Of all the B Sides I've collected, and I think I have almost every one - I just cannot get 'Crossfire'.

It's not even on YouTube so I cannot even hear it!^ Argh!

Is it a rocker? Would it be as good as tracks like the fantastic 'Samuel' from I believe the 'Write On' Sessions?

Does anyone have an mp3 of this lone track so I can at least hear it? Or, guide me to where I may purchase it?
PostPosted:Thu May 14, 2015 11:19 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Phil Cohen Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Don't buy the "Magic" label CD of "A Crazy Steal". While the main album tracks are dubbed from a previous CD, the bonus track "Crossfire" has been dubbed from vinyl, and it becomes distorted towards the end of the song. Whenever the "Magic" label couldn't clone from an existing CD, they dubbed from vinyl or cassette releases.

The only exception to this is Magic's 2-CD set of Terry Sylvester solo recordings, because Terry himself compiled it, assuring the use of quality tape sources.
PostPosted:Wed May 20, 2015 23:08 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
IrelandCalling Post subject:

Phil Cohen wrote:
Don't buy the "Magic" label CD of "A Crazy Steal". While the main album tracks are dubbed from a previous CD, the bonus track "Crossfire" has been dubbed from vinyl, and it becomes distorted towards the end of the song. Whenever the "Magic" label couldn't clone from an existing CD, they dubbed from vinyl or cassette releases.

The only exception to this is Magic's 2-CD set of Terry Sylvester solo recordings, because Terry himself compiled it, assuring the use of quality tape sources.

Thanks for the advice Phil; unfortunately I haven't been able to locate it.

The Magic Editions are good in some instances, but sound wise are not good in many others. The EMI Remasters/Reissues of the albums were much better I think.
PostPosted:Thu May 28, 2015 15:51 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1