graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » Mike Smith of the Dave Clark Five
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
John Truman Post subject: Mike Smith of the Dave Clark Five
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

It was announced this morning that Mike Smith, lead singer of the Dave Clark Five, has died, aged 64. Very sad news.

This is from the BBC news website:

"Dave Clark Five singer Smith dies

The group, with Smith (front), were among the top UK acts of the 1960s
Mike Smith, the lead singer of 1960s British pop group The Dave Clark Five, has died at the age of 64.
He died from pneumonia at Stoke Mandeville Hospital in Buckinghamshire, his US agent Margo Lewis confirmed.

This was a result of complications from a spinal cord injury sustained in 2003 which left him paralysed from the waist down, she added.

The Dave Clark Five had 19 UK Top 40 hits, including Bits and Pieces and the number one single Glad All Over.

The group are due to be inducted into the US Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in New York on 10 March, alongside acts including Madonna, John Mellencamp and Leonard Cohen.

I am incredibly saddened to lose him, his energy and his humour

Margo Lewis, Smith's US agent

Ms Lewis said the singer and keyboardist was admitted to the hospital's intensive care unit on Wednesday with a chest infection.

He had been in hospital since September 2003, but was released last December to live with his wife in a specially-prepared home nearby.

Ms Lewis said: "I am incredibly saddened to lose him, his energy and his humour.

"But I am comforted by the fact that he had the chance to spend his final months and days at home with his loving wife, Charlie, whom he adored, instead of in the hospital, and that he was able to attend a recent concert in London by his good friend, Bruce Springsteen."

Smith, pictured right, and his bandmates stormed the US charts

She said Smith had felt honoured at the band's Hall of Fame induction.

"I am glad that he will be remembered as a 'Hall of Famer', because he was in so many ways," she added.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame president Joel Peresman told Associated Press he was saddened by the news, but that the ceremony would go ahead as planned, with "a little extra significance".

'British invasion'

The band, which broke up in the 1970s, sold more than 100 million records and recorded 23 albums, many of them for the US market.

They were part of the so-called 1960s British invasion of the US, as the Beatles, Rolling Stones and The Animals stormed the American charts.

The Dave Clark Five had US hits with Because, I Like it Like That and Glad All Over, and set a record among British acts after appearing on the Ed Sullivan show 13 times.

Bandmate Denis Payton, who played saxophone, harmonica and guitar, died of cancer in 2006.

The rest of the band were drummer Dave Clark, lead guitarist Lenny Davidson and Rick Huxley on bass. "

PostPosted:Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:16 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
MichealC Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

100 million recrods sold? My god! No wonder he retired and keeps his master tapes locked up.

Michael
PostPosted:Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:11 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
shootthebusstop Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

I'm Glad All Over that we were lucky enough to have such a wonderful band in the 60's and I'm so Sad All Over that Mike is no longer with us. At least we can log into Youtube and look and listen to him and the band in their heyday.Good-bye Mike Sad .

PostPosted:Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:51 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Vrinda Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I first heard the Dave Clark Five on the radio when I was 12 years old, and their echoing vocals and Dennis hard-driving saxophone got my attention each time. I could listen to them "Over and Over" and never get tired of hearing them. Thanks for all you have given us, Mike. You were a performer and artist in every definition of the words. Rest in peace and say hi to Denny for me.
Sad

http://thehollies.proboards88.com
PostPosted:Fri Feb 29, 2008 15:45 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
James Towill Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Never been a particular fan of the band, but they did do some stomping records. Mike's work with Mike D'Abo of Manfred Mann in the 70's was rather interesting.

PostPosted:Fri Feb 29, 2008 16:20 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Dennis Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Very sad news. Mike Smith was a powerhouse singer. The Dave Clark Five were HUGE in the USA from 1964-66. I think they had more hits in the US than the UK during this period, but from 1967 onwards the reverse was true, more hits in the UK and only a few (notably "Everybody Knows" and "You've Got What It Takes") in the States.
PostPosted:Fri Feb 29, 2008 16:41 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Connie Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

One show I never missed growing up in the 60's was Ed Sullivan. So I had plenty of chances to see the DC5. I dropped many a dime in the jukebox to listen to Glad All Over and Because. Good memories.

Rest In Peace, Mike.
PostPosted:Fri Feb 29, 2008 18:03 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
holliesfan Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

Heaven has surely added another terrific singer to it's celestial choir. I never got the chance to see the DC5 or more recently Mike Smith, but their music will forever remain timeless. And to think he was just a few days away from gracing the stage at the DC5's induction into the R&R Hall of Fame(RRHOF). How sad is that? I guess the good news is that he already knew of their forthcoming induction. It was just a matter of time for DC5. It's high time that our beloved Hollies receive their selection notice! C'mon RRHOF powers to be ..... wake up and smell the coffee!
PostPosted:Fri Feb 29, 2008 18:44 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
malco Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

Mike Smith, in my opinion was one of the finest and distinctive rock voices ever, certainly in the class of Allan Clarke, John Lennon and Paul McCartney. He also wrote and performed some great songs with Mike D'Abo on their only album release. Try listening to 'A Broken Dream' and Free As A Bird' (not the Beatles' song of the same name). Smith also sang 'A New Argentina' on the original Evita album in 1977. He certainly has had a difficult time since his accident for the last five years. Its such a shame that he could not get to the Hall Of Fame ceremony.
Vale Mike Smith.
PostPosted:Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:45 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I bought Glad all over and Bits and pieces way back then, they were among the best songs at the time. RIP.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Sun Mar 02, 2008 21:13 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
Lynda Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

MichealC wrote:
100 million recrods sold? My god! No wonder he retired and keeps his master tapes locked up.

Michael

Actually, they didn't sell anywhere near 100 million records. Dave Clark has a tendency to be extremely economical with the truth.
PostPosted:Tue Apr 14, 2015 21:37 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

so how many records did The DC5 sell worldwide then...?
PostPosted:Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:36 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lynda Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Lees than half that claim.
PostPosted:Wed Apr 15, 2015 13:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

what figure exactly and what's your info source of that figure ?
PostPosted:Wed Apr 15, 2015 14:17 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Lynda Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

An inquisition?

No-one knows the exact figure. My source is a man who knew the group personally and is renowned as knowing more about the DC5 than anyone else. The figure he gave me was between 35 and 50 million.
PostPosted:Wed Apr 15, 2015 20:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next