graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation » Purple Rain
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Emily Post subject: Purple Rain
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

There is a video on the Chris Evans Breakfast Show site which shows the Waterboys singing and playing Purple Rain live in the studio on April 1st. Lots of comments say that this version has the best violin solo ever. I can't comment on that as I don't know much about the violin.
I DO know when I heard the best live version of this song - it was in the Royal Concert Hall, Nottingham in 1990. The lead guitarist (Tony of course!) told us that he had taken his son to a concert by Prince and had then persuaded his bandmates to record the song Purple Rain. Tony's playing is of course brilliant. The song can be found as the last track on Disc 3 of the Special Collection. Could Purple Rain be considered for future live performances?
PostPosted:Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:37 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Dawn D Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

It shows how all our musical tastes differ Emily. If I had to choose my worst Hollies songs (and there certainly aren't many!), Purple Rain would be one. I don't think I've ever heard it all the way through - I have to stop it before it ends! I just tried it on youtube again to make sure, and I had to stop it! Question
PostPosted:Wed Apr 22, 2015 19:08 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Emily Post subject:
Acoustic Guitar

Acoustic Guitar

Hi Dawn - as there is a question mark at the end of your post may I suggest that you skip the first 2 mins 30 secs of Purple Rain and just listen to the instrumental section? I have to admit that it is not one of my favourite Hollies' recordings. (except for the guitar!)
As to different musical tastes, my husband and I decided that we needed to broaden our horizons with regard to the concerts we attend and so recently we have seen the Halle orchestra, the Brighouse and Rastrick band, a Strauss gala and most recently the Scottish Fiddle orchestra plus of course the Hollies at Buxton and Leicester.
A friend asked which of those concerts I would go to again and I had to answer "All of them" because we really did enjoy the new musical experiences. Then she asked what I would do if I could only see one of those shows again. I don't need to tell you my answer!
One thing I would like to know - is Peter likely to bring his unplugged show to Nottingham?
PostPosted:Mon Apr 27, 2015 16:46 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Elevated Observation
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1