graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » Hollies 1974 (2005 20 Track Remaster) ?
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
IrelandCalling Post subject: Hollies 1974 (2005 20 Track Remaster) ?

Hi to all in Hollies land,

Seeking this everywhere, can't seem to find it, the 20 track digipack remaster of 'Hollies' 1974

I have the 2008 version, and it's great. But where can one obtain this; it looks excellent. Here is a Link to info on it

http://samanthas-palace.blogspot.ie/search/label/The%20Hollies

Thank you for any info[/i]
PostPosted:Fri Mar 07, 2014 20:47 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

That is the French Magic release. Amazon UK will get you a copy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hollies-1974/dp/B0006OFM4O/ref=sr_1_81?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1394252555&sr=1-81&keywords=hollies

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:23 am
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
IrelandCalling Post subject: Holies

Thank you so much Knut!

How is the sound quality do you know; some of the Magic releases are a loud 'louder', less dynamic than the EMI versions (some Magic releases also are excellent of course)
PostPosted:Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:09 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Note the track running order on that earlier Magic Records CD version is not the original UK album order, and the review notes are not quite accurate either

- yes Allan Clarke brought a few new fine songs with him such as; 'Curly Billy' , 'Don't Let Me Down', 'Rubber Lucy' etc...but some like Clarke-Sylvester's; 'Love Makes The World Go Round' were actually written a good bit PRIOR to his December 1971 exit for the 'Oh Flux !' theatre project...

while 'Out on The Road', ' Transatlantic Westbound Jet', & 'Terry's 'Pick up The Pieces (again)' were re-cuts (and basically a 're-vamp'/remix in the latter song's case with new bits added) from songs on the second (non UK/USA released) 'Rickfors Hollies' album; 'Out on The Road' from 1973....
PostPosted:Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:30 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Knut Post subject:
Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar

I have no serious problems with all those Magic CDs but I tend to prefer the EMI releases. If you can wait a couple of days I will check the sound on this and parallell CDs.

Would you believe the Hollies had power to stay by evolution of their style from Buddy Holly ? That's for certain because they follow what goes around, write on and go out on the road. They did it then, they do it now - please do it always.
PostPosted:Sat Mar 08, 2014 14:46 pm
graphic
View user's profile Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply with quote Top of page
graphic

graphic graphic
IrelandCalling Post subject: Hollies

Will do Knut; it looks amazing, with 4 or 5 more bonus cuts than the EMI edition of 2008.

The Hollies 1969 - 1974 I think were fantastic, a wonderful continuation of the Nash years. Albums like 'Distant Light', 'Confessions..', and for the most part .Sings Hollies' (which contains some marvellous tracks!) were first class 'Ollies albums!

Of the 1975-1983 era, I've only heard two so far; 'Another Night', and 'Russian Roulette', both of which I really like.
PostPosted:Sat Mar 08, 2014 17:31 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

check out 'Write On' (1976) - one of their strongest seventies albums full of quality songs penned by Clarke-Hicks-Sylvester besides a lone superb cover of Randy Richards song 'There's Always Goodbye' - worthy of being a single - as were a few other songs too. songs such as; 'Sweet Country Calling', 'My Island', 'I Won't Move Over', 'Narida' and the title track (a chart hit in Germany) all stand out while 'Crocodile Woman (She Bites)' features blistering Hicks guitarwork and 'Star' features Ex-Zombies & Argent keyboardist Rod Argent guesting on synthesisor.

'A Crazy Steal' (1978) is full of fine songs too, mostly Clarke-Hicks-Sylvester originals (notably 'Writing on The Wall', 'Burn Out', 'Caracas', & 'Feet On The Ground') with three Polydor singles; 'Hello To Romance', 'Boulder To Birmingham', & 'Amnesty', while it might have benefitted from a couple more faster paced songs on it however, (had maybe original songs used as 'B' sides like; 'Crossfire' and 'C'mon' been included on it) as you tend to get slow dramatic song...followed by another in places - but the quality, and notably the vocals and tight harmonies are supreme

'Five Three One Double Seven O Four' (1979) is regarded as the 'ballads' album as it has no faster tempo songs but it flows very well and is full of fine songs and great vocals, Allan Clarke & Gary Benson's 'Satellite Three' is the only original track but the covers are splendid - Terry Sylvester has two lead vocal features too - one 'Harlequin' was written by Procol Harum's Gary Brooker (who plays keyboards & is vocally featured on the fadeout)
PostPosted:Sat Mar 08, 2014 19:12 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic

Thanks very much Gee, that is quite a lot of valuable info and I will be delving into those albums.

I've only been a fan since last summer, believe it or not; I love Beatles, Stones, Kinks...etc.etc, but except for the big hits, the Hollies had passed me by. Then last summer, SkyArts1 broadcast 'Look through any Window' documentary - by the end of the 2 1/2 hours, I was a fan~! Immediately sought out and album, and for some reason went for the very first one, 'Stay With..'. I loved it!! The harmonies, Hick's excellent guitar work, the 'beat' sound.

I started getting the albums in chronological order, and also had the 'Hicks Clarke Nash' set to add the relevant Singles, B Sides and Unreleased to the album in question I was listening to. Built up 12 albums - the 7 originals with Nash, and had compiled the extra stuff from the bo set on to 5 'Singles and B Sides' collections for the ipod.

Absolutely loved them all! I approached the post Nash with a little trepidation, due to what I'd read online. Boy were they wrong; starting with 'Sings Hollies' I felt it was a sterling album. One or two okay tracks, but the majority very high quality indeed, with some absolute gems. The bonus tracks were as good, it all added up to an album that's fast becoming one of my top Hollies LP's.

'Confessions..', 'Distant Light' and 'Out on the Road' followed, and all of them I think are top quality, the band really continued growing after Graham left.

I really enjoyed 'Russian Roulette', an album that get's slagged off online, but I thought it was - while not as transcendant as the best Hollies albums - definitely an enjoyable romp through various styles. 'Another Night' I have but not listened to properly yet, that's next up.

Also got the 'Look Through...' DVD, and through a fellow collector, got quite a bit of Hollies on DVD.

In the stage now where am recommending them to all and sundry, and a wee bit sad te journey is almost at an end as I have almost all of their albums and non album tracks.

'Romany' I don't have, yet, I know they didn't compose it, were the songs written specifically for them? Is it a hard rock album as 'Distant Light' was? Is it as good as the preceeding 3 albums were? I see it was remastered in 2011 I think, that would be the one to get seemingly.

How would 'Sings Hollies' be rated here among the faithful?
PostPosted:Sun Mar 09, 2014 13:04 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

The Hollies were in many ways almost victims of their own success...!

As they had such a consistant run of hit singles from 1963 right up to 1974 (bar just the ONE UK 'non charting' official single in 1972 - and that one charted overseas) their album catalogue, despite many chart albums was rather 'overlooked' by critics even in the sixties...!

They were never properly launched in the USA either - note they had NO 'Ed Sullivan Show' appearances, thus they lagged behind for quite a time stateside while contemporaries Freddie & The Dreamers, Gerry & The Pacemakers, Dave Clark & Herman, etc, all became well known name acts in the USA following in the wake of The Beatles and The Stones....only in 1966 with 'Bus Stop' and from 1967 (once signed with Epic Records) did The Hollies get really known in America...

so alot of people, who find they know the hits, probably missed out on delving any deeper into The Hollies music - and, besides Graham Nash in the sixties, their overall 'public face' was rather modest to say the least...after Nash left it became even less as they seemed happy to just let the music speak for them and were never controversial or outspoken in any way - a understandable attitude but it probably went against them re critical appreciation notably in the seventies as they were unfairly 'overlooked' while many far less successful or influential artists were critically lauded (& some very overrated !)

re the albums - 'Hollies Sing Hollies' (1969) is critically highly rated, tho' possibly they were a bit uncertain re musical direction at that point, Terry was the 'new boy' just starting to write songs ('Gloria Swansong' was his first), Allan & Tony minus Nash began to drift apart as writers, seldom composing together (besides the odd early joint effort with Terry) until Terry pulled them back together (as Nash earlier had) from 1974 onwards....

they had abandoned a 'Sing County' project after the 'Dylan' album to instead feature original tracks - they were doing pop songs, country style songs, orchestrated tracks, early 'disco' ('Do You Believe in Love') anti war songs, even a mood music instrumental (by Bernie) each of which had it's merits but were possibly a bit too diverse (something Allan Clarke's solo career also was prone to in the seventies on his albums of covers)

overall 'Sing Hollies' is a fine album (sadly it failed to chart in 1969-70) , the cover photos gave them a poor image tho' - a very 'twee' look with patterned laced shirts etc - many far better group photos of them in that 1969-70 period exist, with them dressed in their everyday more fashionable gear ! (as in the inner poster with 'Confessions of The Mind' album & on 'Hollies Greatest vol 2' etc...)

by 'Romany' (1972) they were self producing & had Mike Rickfors as new lead singer....the set has only two original songs (Mike's ballad 'Touch' & Tony and Kenny Lynch song; 'Blue in The Morning') but they picked some great songs to cover

Terry became a much stronger figurehead member (as Nash had been earlier in the sixties ) in the 'Rickfors Hollies' - Terry sang two leads - 'Lizzy & The Rainman' plus the epic Judee Sill song; 'Jesus Was A Crossmaker' (years later featured in the film; 'Elizabethtown')

Mike gave them a more 'west coast' vocal style as Rickfors-Hicks-Sylvester harmonies were more in the CSN ( & Y), Byrds, Eagles, America, Bread, and The Shadows alter ego 'Marvin, Welch & Farrar' idiom of acoustic/electric harmony vocal led folk/rock singer/songwriter styled music...

they cut a batch of acoustic flavoured tracks - 'Blue in The Morning, Magic Woman Touch, Romany, etc...then latterly added some electric rock tracks - 'Slow Down', 'Courage of Your Convictions', and 'Won't You Feel Good That Morning' to balance out the folkier style - the resulting album was a splendid effort mixing electric and acoustic styles with strong harmony vocals....and even a 'Scott Walker' style vocal by Mike on David Ackles song 'Down River' (unusual territory for The Hollies...but so was doing a Judee Sill song)

'Romany' bore a striking gatefold sleeve with a 'autumn/early winter' version of the same 'summer' landscape that featured on 'Distant Light' (both drawn by talented artist Colin Elgie)

maybe IF 'Won't You (we) Feel Good...' or 'Slow Down' had followed up 'The Baby'...plus 'If it Wasn't For The Reason' or their long unissued fine cover of The Eagles classic 'Witchy Woman' had been singles the 'Rickfors Hollies' could have had more hits ...(?)

the massive USA success of Allan's 'Long Cool Woman' - plus 'Long Dark Road' charting stateside too - in 1972 was probably a 'bittersweet' success for both the 'Rickfors Hollies' and Allan Clarke soloist...as neither really capitalised on the USA chart success overall...

the unexpected chart success of two 'Clarke led Hollies' songs in the USA in 1972 while Allan was out of the group proved something of an albatross around the necks of the 'Rickfors Hollies' having got an American tour as a result...
as Terry said:
'the Americans wanted (expected) Allan and we just didn't sound like that anymore...'

Their official new single; 'Magic Woman Touch' was a lovely song, but perhaps not quite distinctive enough to be a UK or USA hit...? (a problem the band would have time & time again after 'The Air That I Breathe') - thus the current 'Rickfors' version of The Hollies music was being overshadowed by the 1971 'Clarke led' version...

The new album; 'Romany' sadly er 'sank like a stone...' in the UK failing to chart (the UK music press reviews were savage - some unpleasant music press writers who might have been 'miffed' the band had defied some earlier confident music press predictions that The Hollies would fade immediately once Nash left, perhaps took the oppertunity to gleefully critically 'bash them' now they were minus Allan Clarke - 'Allan Clarke RIGHT to leave Hollies...!' was one such unfair & incorrect music press review headline ) - the album scraped into the USA album charts however on the back of the American tour and the two 'Clarke Hollies' USA hits...

'Russian Roulette' (1976) often gets 'bashed' by some too vocal so called 'fans' online - but it was a pretty decent all original album - it was a 'mixed bag' style wise - a few strong rockin' tracks (Louise, 48 Hour Parole, Russian Roulette, etc) some superior pop songs (Thanks For The Memories, My Love, Be With You, Daddy Don't Mind, etc), the odd 'disco-ish' number (Draggin' My Heels, Lady of The Night, Wiggle That Wotsit,) made for a 'workmanlike' album (that is not a criticism) with fine playing - notably some excellent Hicks guitarwork and powering Elliott drumming - great lead vocals, and strong tight vocal harmonies - Bobby Elliott was once quoted as saying it was one of his personal favorite seventies Hollies albums.

- again it got poor reviews in the, by then, openly hostile UK music press (some downright inaccurate ones too !) but IS a perfectly decent mid seventies Hollies studio album that is VERY badly underrated, especially by some 'online folk' who seem to think they speak for everyone...!

judge for yourselves...!
PostPosted:Sun Mar 09, 2014 17:00 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic

Thanks very much for that in-depth look Gee; covering 'Sings Hollies', 'Romany', 'Russian Roulette'.

I would agree the music press went against them, there are a lot of very withering reviews online concerning the post-Nash Hollies, but also a lot of good ones; Amazon for example (especially U.S. Amazon) seem to praise the albums.

I think some of their finest albums were the post Nash works, though the 60s albums for the most part are absolutely terrific - which is why from last summer to now I've been going hog-wild for more Hollies product^^

'Hollies' (1965) is the first one I really loved, thought it was excellent (though the first two I really enjoyed, this one seemed to just hit in a big way). The companion albums I made from the box set were as good. 'Would you Believe' was of similar high quality, then the majestic 'For Certain Becase', 'Evolution', 'Butterfly', and 'Hollies '68' (the 9 or 10 tracks from 1968 on the box set, just collected and titled 'Hollies '68' fot the ipod, and a killer set it is too)

'Russian Roulette' I agree with you, very varied, and in my opinion, all the better for it. No weak tracks - even 'Wiggle that Wotsit' musically is very good, even if lyrically a wee bit twee. The whole album bristles with life, at least to me it does. Some damn good rockers on there too!

'Romany' - I'm going for the remaster, includes 'Papa Rain' - that's the version to get? I heard the sound is excellent?
PostPosted:Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:01 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Yeah go for that 2007 EMI 'Romany' remaster

- you get a decent remastered version of the album itself in clear sound plus eight remastered strong bonus tracks including the (prior to that CD) unissued songs; 'Papa Rain' and 'Witchy Woman' plus the rarer Terry Sylvester lead vocal of
'Oh Granny' (the original 1972 'b' side), the acoustic 'Magic Woman Touch'
and the 'b' sides; 'I Had A Dream' (a non UK track originally) and 'Indian Girl' plus 'If It Wasn't for The Reason...' and 'The Baby'

'Hollies' (1965) is probably their BIGGEST selling non compilation studio album of all - certainly in the UK, it made no.8 on release in 1965...then the stereo version was released in 1969 as; 'Reflection' on EMI's budget label Regal Starline and was freely avaiable on LP and cassette in many shops like Woolworths etc for years until BGO Records re-issued 'Hollies' (1965) restored to original sleeve...then compact disc version(s) later followed

- so besides charting high in 1965 it was the most commonly readily available Hollies album over the sixties to date - all others were either issued later, didn't chart so high or were off catalogue at some point...so 'Hollies' (1965) has probably over time both as; 'Hollies' (1965) and 'Reflection' easily outsold all their other studio albums, even those that reached higher in the UK albums chart
PostPosted:Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:05 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Allans girl Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Hi Ireland calling. I got into the Hollies the same way as you, I watched the documentary on Sky last year Very Happy I was aware of their songs during the sixties but I was only young - in infant and junior school. I was in my teens in the seventies and unfortunately that involved getting into some scary bands whose names I will not mention Shocked It's only really been in the last year or so I've been getting time to myself and what do I discover - the fantastically talented and beautiful Hollies. I am so mad with myself for missing out on this wonderful group for so long but am having a ball making up for it. Absolutely love them to bits

PostPosted:Mon Mar 10, 2014 20:29 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic

Thanks again for the ino Gee, 'Hollies '65' is one of my faves, had no idea it would such a big seller

AllansGirl, great to hear from you; like yourself I'm having a ball discovering them and as said earlier in this topic, a wee bit sad I've only a few albums left to hear^
PostPosted:Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:28 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic

Quick query - the Bonus tracks on the Magic edition of 'Hollies', some of them are from the 'Out on the Road' album? So the tracks with Rickfors?

Slow Down Go Down - Mr. Heartbreaker - Transatlantic Jet (1st Version),..etc
PostPosted:Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:55 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Both 'Slow Down Go Down' & 'Mr. Heartbreaker' are sung by Terry Sylvester, while 'Transatlantic Westbound Jet' (first version) is sung by Mike Rickfors
- all these three tracks are taken from 'Out on The Road'

I have to say the Magic records CD of 'Out on The Road' was a big disappointment - it's very poorly mastered sounding very 'muffled' in places (probably a poorly mastered rush job taken from a vinyl copy of the album)

a FAR BETTER CD version was out some years back on the bootleg 'Rock in Beat' label, which was far better clarity wise but is not easy to find now

The legendary 'lost' Hollies album of 1973 really needs a PROPER remastered 'official' CD release with relevant era 'bonus' tracks....hopefully Warners will take note and do this in the not too distant future ??

at the very least all the songs from the album should be remastered properly and put out, maybe as part of a wider Hollies collection covering the 'post Nash' period...?
PostPosted:Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:46 am
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Goto page 1, 2  Next