graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music » WINGS
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Allans girl Post subject: WINGS
Banjo

Banjo

Being relatively new to The Hollies I had not heard this song before. I watched the DVD Look Through Any Window and this song came on. It's the most beautiful song I ever heard. Allan says on the DVD that it makes him cry and I think I can understand why. The melody, the lyrics, those beautiful harmonies, you can't help but become emotional when you listen to it. Absolute perfection, I love this song so much.

PostPosted:Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:05 am
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Gee Post subject:
Rythym Guitar

Rythym Guitar

Written by Graham Nash & Allan Clarke 'Wings' was originally cut at Abbey Road studios over 9-11 January 1968 and then was donated to the charity the World Wildlife Fund & included - along with the original version of The Beatles song; 'Across The Universe' - on the EMI budget label Starline album; 'No Ones Gonna Change Our World' released in November 1969, which also included songs by The Bee Gees and Cliff Richard & The Shadows too....with all the proceeds from sales of the record going to the World Wildlife Fund, one of The Hollies many charitable gestures over the years...

A couple of years later, at producer Ron Richards suggestion, The Hollies later
re-cut the song with slightly amended more romantic lyrics over 9-13 March 1970 at Abbey Road studios , featuring Terry Sylvester, as a possible single, but the 'Sylvester version' of 'Wings' so far remains unissued and is an eagerly awaited Hollies rarity - BIG HINT EMI !

Once a very rare Hollies song only on that sought after 1969 charity album The original 'Nash version' was later included on The Hollies compilation album; 'Not The Hits Again' then on 'Rarities' in November 1988, plus later on 'The Long Road Home: 1963-2003' boxed set & still later on 'The Clarke, Hicks, Nash Years' six CD box set plus various other compilations.

note the early 1968 version they sang on BBC Radio (with Nash) actually had differing original lyrics regarding the song's viewpoint; '....why do WE want THEM to walk when THEY can fly...?' however it was duly amended to; 'Why do THEY want US...' when the song was first cut for EMI that year...
PostPosted:Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:53 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Janice Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Gee, I love reading your posts, because I always learn so much from them. Unfortunately, even at the very height of their popularity, here in the States, the fan mags, and press as a whole, never wrote much about the Hollies. Anyway, thank you for sharing your knowledge. Very Happy
PostPosted:Sun Nov 24, 2013 13:13 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Allans girl Post subject:
Banjo

Banjo

Thanks so much for the information Gee I love learning background information to their wonderful songs

PostPosted:Sun Nov 24, 2013 13:27 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic graphic
Hope2005 Post subject:
Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar

It is a fine track and goes to show that The Hollies were recording some fine music, despite the internal problems the band was going through at the time.

PostPosted:Wed Mar 26, 2014 20:05 pm
graphic
graphic

graphic
graphic
The Hollies Forum Index » Words and Music
graphic

graphic

graphic graphic
Jump to:  
View previous topic :: View next topic

Page 1 of 1